Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default Connecting a Raspberry Pi to an old TV

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:36:19 +0100, News
wrote:

In message , Theo Markettos
writes
Gordon Henderson wrote:

It's PAL by default, so no need to wory about that here.

Are you sure? That page says NTSC is the default. I haven't tried either,
but PAL v NTSC would be a reason for no colour.

The saga continues. I found another old TV, a Bush with build in VCR. I
know it works, and works in colour. The remote has gone wherever odd
socks go, but no matter. I plugged in the Pi, and the TV must have
recognised the AV signal, as I could watch the boot sequence, start
STARTX, launch the browser and connect, but still only B&W. It must be
the SCART adaptor I'm using. Next job is to find another one to try.

Update. Found another SCART adaptor, which is embossed Microsoft. It
probably came with an XBox. It works, but still no colour.

It could be the Pi itself. I would be surprised if a cable fault
would allow you to get B&W but no colour.

What do I need, to connect the Pi to a proper PC monitor that only has a
VGA connector?

A lot of money ;-) (Adaptors are expensive)

The Pi foundation glibly say "VGA is considered to be an end-of-life
technology" although every monitor has a VGA connector. The biggest
mistake they made in the design of the Pi IMHO.

I bought a new monitor instead - From what I can tell from the forums
most people pick this solution.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?