Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spray gun advice

I'd like to add spray finish to my skill set, so I guess I need a spray gun. There are three at an online auction -- items 10, 11 and 12 at this link:

http://www.obenaufauctionsonline.com...1/category/ALL

Any thoughts about the quality/price on these?

Thanks,

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2013 12:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I'd like to add spray finish to my skill set, so I guess I need a spray gun. There are three at an online auction -- items 10, 11 and 12 at this link:

http://www.obenaufauctionsonline.com...1/category/ALL

Any thoughts about the quality/price on these?

Thanks,

Larry

Certainly the devilbiss is the best gun, hands down over the other 2.

I might suggest that you consider hvlp, I have air guns, like these,
binks and devilbiss. But I started buying the conversion hvlp..
Not as good as real hvlp, but better than siphon type high pressure guns.

With an hvlp it's small, you can take it with you, versus a compressor
and gun, you have a turbine (small vacuum cleaner) and a gun.

It will spray all sorts of finishes. And without spraying the rest of
the room...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
I'd like to add spray finish to my skill set, so I guess I need a
spray gun. There are three at an online auction -- items 10, 11 and
12 at this link:

http://www.obenaufauctionsonline.com...1/category/ALL

Any thoughts about the quality/price on these?

Any one of these three will make an excellent gun Larry. All are pro
quality. None are top of the line guns, but all will turn out an excellent
finish, will have rebuild kits available forever, and those prices are crazy
cheap. You'd have to check on the DeVilbiss web site to see if any of them
are HVLP as most of their guns come in conventional and compliant HVLP
styles. I'd certainly recommend HVLP is you have compressor enough for it.
If not - most woodworkers probably don't do enough painting/finishing with
expensive finishes for the difference to be all that meaningful. If you
were painting cars you'd certainly want HVLP.

In any event, if you can get them near those prices, you cannot lose.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
On 10/5/2013 12:29 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I'd like to add spray finish to my skill set, so I guess I need a
spray gun. There are three at an online auction -- items 10, 11 and
12 at this link:
http://www.obenaufauctionsonline.com...1/category/ALL

Any thoughts about the quality/price on these?

Thanks,

Larry

Certainly the devilbiss is the best gun, hands down over the other 2.

All three are DeVilbiss. FinishLine is one of their product lines.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:
I'd like to add spray finish to my skill set, so I guess I need a spray
gun. There are three at an online auction -- items 10, 11 and 12 at this link:

http://www.obenaufauctionsonline.com...1/category/ALL

Any thoughts about the quality/price on these?

Like Jeff says, it's hard to beat an HVLP system for a woodworker.

Large price range, and the more you pay the better overall results you will
get with more types of finishes.

This one is highly rated for and by woodworkers. Has a number of hands on
reviews on YouTube, check them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV5500-.../dp/B004RGOKR2

I have the predecessor to the above and use it for spraying everything from
primer and shellac, to many paints.

I've owned three different HVLP units, in three prices ranges from $49 to
the above, and would have been far ahead in results and reliability had I
just spent the bucks for the above to begin with. Keep in mind this is a
medium priced HVLP setup, you can spend much more.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Like Jeff says, it's hard to beat an HVLP system for a woodworker.

Large price range, and the more you pay the better overall results
you will get with more types of finishes.

This one is highly rated for and by woodworkers. Has a number of
hands on reviews on YouTube, check them out.

http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV5500-.../dp/B004RGOKR2

I have the predecessor to the above and use it for spraying
everything from primer and shellac, to many paints.

I've owned three different HVLP units, in three prices ranges from
$49 to the above, and would have been far ahead in results and
reliability had I just spent the bucks for the above to begin with.
Keep in mind this is a medium priced HVLP setup, you can spend much
more.

Damn-it. Tunnel vision - when somebody talks about HVLP, I think conversion
guns. As long as we've had threads about this stuff, I still don't
immediately think turbines until someone else brings them up. You know what
they say - when all you have is a hammer...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2013 3:47 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Gramps' shop wrote:
[...]

Sorry Larry, I didn't realize the finish line was devilbiss...
Go for the gravity feed over the siphon, I have grown to prefer them.
Like Mike said if you can get them for the current price its a good deal.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Sorry Larry, I didn't realize the finish line was devilbiss...
Go for the gravity feed over the siphon, I have grown to prefer them.
Like Mike said if you can get them for the current price its a good
deal.

Agreed. I still use my old syphon guns for certain things, but I came to
prefer my gravity feeds a long time ago.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2013 4:07 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

[...]

I was on the iPad using an app to respond to Larry's request , so I
didn't see your posts until after I'd already sent mine. Otherwise, I
woulda transmogrified it ... maybe that's chickenfried?.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
Well, I put in my bid on the finishline before getting your advice on
the gravity unit. Won the auction at $31. Saw similar items on eBay
for $100+, so I think I got a decent deal.

Don't sweat it. I have lots of guns that are syphon type guns. I don't
think twice abour the merits of syphon vs gravity feed. It's a convenience
thing that is based soley upon what I have become comfortable with. That is
really irrelevant when it comes to the more important matters of
conventional vs HVLP, and only slightly less relevant when talking about
conventional vs turbine HVLP. For $31 you cannot possibly have gone wrong.
If you consider any and all of the savings that the very best gun could have
offered you (regardless of what theorists may say...), at the end of your
life, you hit the magic point of lowest cost option to you. Good job!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:

Well, I put in my bid on the finishline before getting your advice on
the gravity unit. Won the auction at $31. Saw similar items on eBay
for $100+, so I think I got a decent deal.

So now... do yourself the biggest favor you can do as it applies to
spraying. Set up some scrap wood, some paper, some whatever, and make
practice shoots at your target. Learn your gun. I promise you this - if
you post another inquirey about how to shoot some ****, I'm going to tell
you to practice on some sort of scrap, with the **** you're trying to spray.
So, try varying the distance, the amount of trigger pull, the speed of
travel, and believe it or not - the amount of light in your work area. In
short - spend an hour or two learning your new gun. What you learn will vary
a bit based on the materials you shoot, buy you will develop a really good
foundation for figuring out what to do without posting "how do I..." posts
here, only to be told this very same thing.

Congratulations on your purchase. You bought a fine gun. Now - learn to
use it.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:

Good advice, Mike. I guess that's why God invented scrap wood :-)

Yup - and in case my previous post sounded too harsh, let me just say that
every time I paint a car I tape up two sheets of body mask on the wall and
make some test shots. I shoot both the base and the clear at the paper.
Just to make sure what it will shoot like. I do the very things I suggested
to you (that's why I suggested them...). I vary the trigger pull, my speed,
etc. Painting is not an automatic thing. You will find that you have to
adjust some aspect of what you do to compensate for temperature, humidity,
the wife's current state of mind, etc., so a quick shot at some paper on the
wall is worth every bit of the time spent doing it.

I have a decent sense about you from your posts here so I'm confident that
you'll shoot some scrap. Go at it and try every possible combination of fan
size, paint volume and distance that you can come up with. Try to stay
somewhere between 6" and 10" from your scrap, but vary those distances. Go
beyond them and observe the affect. It likely will not be pretty. It's
just all about learning your tools.

Always remember when you spray to try to get the wettest coat you can
possibly get without getting a sag or a run. Dry is not good, no matter
what you may intuitively feel. Dry is bad - very bad. Shoot wet and learn
how to control that so you don't sag or run. Overlap passes by 50% or so,
and never... never... never shoot a double pass - until you really learn
what you are doing. Go ahead and ruin some stuff. It's only scrap.

And... get a good mask. HF actually sells a good disposable mask for under
$20. Get the one rated for organics (icocyanates) and keep it sealed in the
air tight bag between uses. The filters on orgaincs is only good for about
8 hours of time so you don't want it just laying out on the bench when
you're not using it. Don't screw with the other junk typically found in the
big box stores that say they are for painting. They're for finger painting.

--

-Mike-

Spray gun advice ... Arfa Daily UK diy 70 June 20th 13 09:30 PM
Kenmore dishwasher spray is weak--how to remove (lower) spray arm Steven L.[_2_] Home Repair 13 November 28th 11 11:11 AM
Spray gun David White UK diy 1 April 15th 07 09:26 AM
Advice on spray gun choice Neil UK diy 5 March 7th 07 07:50 PM
Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 23rd 06 11:57 AM