Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore dishwasher spray is weak--how to remove (lower) spray arm

Hi all,

The spray in my Kenmore dishwasher has gotten pretty weak--the dishes on
the lower rack get cleaned, but the glasses and stuff I put in the upper
rack don't even get wet anymore.

My dishwasher has only a lower spray arm (no upper spray), and I suspect
it may have gotten clogged.

How do I remove it so I can clean it thoroughly? It doesn't seem to
come off by itself.

Also, could there be some other cause of the weak spray? I can't be
sure, but I think the spray arm isn't spinning as well as it used to
either. What could be causing THAT?

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steven L." wrote in message
m:

Hi all,

The spray in my Kenmore dishwasher has gotten pretty weak--the dishes on
the lower rack get cleaned, but the glasses and stuff I put in the upper
rack don't even get wet anymore.

My dishwasher has only a lower spray arm (no upper spray), and I suspect
it may have gotten clogged.

How do I remove it so I can clean it thoroughly? It doesn't seem to
come off by itself.

Also, could there be some other cause of the weak spray? I can't be
sure, but I think the spray arm isn't spinning as well as it used to
either. What could be causing THAT?

I forgot to mention: The spray arm is of the type that has this little
extendable tower in the middle, that seems to pop up during the wash
cycle.

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:39:42 +0000, Steven L. wrote:

Hi all,

The spray in my Kenmore dishwasher has gotten pretty weak--the dishes on
the lower rack get cleaned, but the glasses and stuff I put in the upper
rack don't even get wet anymore.

My dishwasher has only a lower spray arm (no upper spray), and I suspect
it may have gotten clogged.

How do I remove it so I can clean it thoroughly? It doesn't seem to
come off by itself.

Also, could there be some other cause of the weak spray? I can't be
sure, but I think the spray arm isn't spinning as well as it used to
either. What could be causing THAT?

-- Steven L.

Two potential problems, junk in the dishwasher or buildup in the supply
line. If you have hard water it is entirely possible that the supply line
is so junked up that nothing you do in the dishwasher will help.

I would suggest trying an acid based cleaner from Bed and Bath for coffee
makers (forget the name of it) and run a bottle of it through a cycle. If
it's a bad as it sounds, I'd run a half bottle through on two consecutive
cycles, followed by three plain water cycles. Then run about three empty
cycles with plain water. It will also clean off your glassware of lime
buildup. Only need a small amount to do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 12:53*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
[...]

buildup. Only need a small amount to do that.- Hide quoted text -

run with a gallon of white vinegar and let soak for awhile
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Exactly. But with vinegar at only eighty cents a gallon, I'd dump in three
or four gallons.

Also, in the future, use powdered detergent that has been fortified with
10-20% of TSP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 10:39*am, "Steven L." wrote:
Hi all,

The spray in my Kenmore dishwasher has gotten pretty weak--the dishes on
the lower rack get cleaned, but the glasses and stuff I put in the upper
rack don't even get wet anymore.

My dishwasher has only a lower spray arm (no upper spray), and I suspect
it may have gotten clogged.

How do I remove it so I can clean it thoroughly? *It doesn't seem to
come off by itself.

Also, could there be some other cause of the weak spray? *I can't be
sure, but I think the spray arm isn't spinning as well as it used to
either. *What could be causing THAT?

-- Steven L.

@Steve:

Two things can cause poor water flow through the nozzles in your
dishwasher:

Hard Water Deposits
Bio-film/Lipid Build Up

Hard water can be an issue if your local water chemistry is bad,
you would know if this was the problem or not based on other
water applications in your home being affected (the shower, sinks,
and clothes washer).

Bio-film is actually what most people see on their dishes even
when they think it looks like hard water deposits. If you don't
rinse off the grease and food from your dishes it builds up on
surfaces inside the dishwasher where you can't see it and
becomes a soup which supports growth. This same issue
causes smelly front loading washing machines as the film
builds up on the outer surface of the clothes drum where you
would never see it unless you took the machine apart.

You need to use some CLR in a cycle if you suspect
hard water and definitely need to begin using an
enzymatic dishwasher detergent which will break up
the fats/greases/food proteins in your dish washer and
not allow them to become deposits and create a bio-film.

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 8:06*pm, Evan wrote:
[...]

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

Has everyone forgotten about the pump?? If the water inlet to the
pump or the impellers of the pump itself are crudded up with food
residue, there will be low pressure,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m:

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Maybe I should pre-rinse my dishes also. I'm accustomed to just
throwing them in the dishwasher, but maybe all those bits of food are
clogging up the thing.

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m:

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Is your water hard? What is the point of running DW if plates have to be
pre-rinsed.? For us organic phospate free detereget tablet work well.
Maybe DW should be put thru couple cleaning cycles using vinegar or CLR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
Exactly. But with vinegar at only eighty cents a gallon, I'd dump in
three or four gallons.

Also, in the future, use powdered detergent that has been fortified
with 10-20% of TSP.

Maybe I should pre-rinse my dishes also. I'm accustomed to just
throwing them in the dishwasher, but maybe all those bits of food are
clogging up the thing.

Nope, that's not it. Food particles are chopped before they're flushed out
to the garbage disposal, except, maybe leg bones from a turkey.

Clean the washer with vinegar as above and add TSP to your detergent. You'll
be surprised by the result.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Is your water hard? What is the point of running DW if plates have to
be pre-rinsed.? For us organic phospate free detereget tablet work
well. Maybe DW should be put thru couple cleaning cycles using
vinegar or CLR.

Phosphate-free detergents do NOT work well. Perhaps they work well enough
for you, but most cannot abide the hazy film left on flatware and glasses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:48:40 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

Steven L. wrote:
Exactly. But with vinegar at only eighty cents a gallon, I'd dump in
three or four gallons.

Also, in the future, use powdered detergent that has been fortified
with 10-20% of TSP.

Maybe I should pre-rinse my dishes also. I'm accustomed to just
throwing them in the dishwasher, but maybe all those bits of food are
clogging up the thing.

Nope, that's not it. Food particles are chopped before they're flushed out
to the garbage disposal, except, maybe leg bones from a turkey.

Depends on the dishwasher. Bosch, for example, doesn't have a grinder.
Instead, it has a screen/filter than has to be cleaned out. ...the reason we
passed on Bosch.

Clean the washer with vinegar as above and add TSP to your detergent. You'll
be surprised by the result.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was a little boy, my sister used to like to
paraphrase the dish washer detergent commercial. While in or
near a store, she would very loudly say "do I embarass you,
Mrs. Young? Spotting and streaking your glasses and
dishes???"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus