Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Kenmore dishwasher spray is weak--how to remove (lower) sprayarm

Steven L. wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m:

bob haller wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:53 pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:39:42 +0000, Steven L. wrote:
Hi all,

The spray in my Kenmore dishwasher has gotten pretty weak--the
dishes on the lower rack get cleaned, but the glasses and stuff I
put in the upper rack don't even get wet anymore.

My dishwasher has only a lower spray arm (no upper spray), and I
suspect it may have gotten clogged.

How do I remove it so I can clean it thoroughly? It doesn't seem to
come off by itself.

Also, could there be some other cause of the weak spray? I can't be
sure, but I think the spray arm isn't spinning as well as it used to
either. What could be causing THAT?

-- Steven L.

Two potential problems, junk in the dishwasher or buildup in the
supply line. If you have hard water it is entirely possible that the
supply line is so junked up that nothing you do in the dishwasher
will help.

I would suggest trying an acid based cleaner from Bed and Bath for
coffee makers (forget the name of it) and run a bottle of it through
a cycle. If it's a bad as it sounds, I'd run a half bottle through
on two consecutive cycles, followed by three plain water cycles.
Then run about three empty cycles with plain water. It will also
clean off your glassware of lime buildup. Only need a small amount
to do that.- Hide quoted text -

run with a gallon of white vinegar and let soak for awhile

Exactly. But with vinegar at only eighty cents a gallon, I'd dump in
three
or four gallons.

Also, in the future, use powdered detergent that has been fortified with
10-20% of TSP.

Maybe I should pre-rinse my dishes also. I'm accustomed to just throwing
them in the dishwasher, but maybe all those bits of food are clogging up
the thing.

-- Steven L.

Hi,
Is your water hard? What is the point of running DW if plates have to be
pre-rinsed.? For us organic phospate free detereget tablet work well.
Maybe DW should be put thru couple cleaning cycles using vinegar or CLR.