Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Lowes

A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand
Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but
interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the
autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer
and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:00:26 -0500, FrozenNorth
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto,

What corner?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2013 6:48 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:00:26 -0500, FrozenNorth
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto,

What corner?

Islington/401, south east side.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:00:26 PM UTC-8, FrozenNorth wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:00:26 PM UTC-8, FrozenNorth wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

That's the way it is here also. Besides, being better organized, the
Lowe's closer to me is frequented during the daytime more by local DIY
soccer moms, who are infinitely better to look at when trying to find a
pipe fitting, than by dirty leg subcontractors.

Can be a downright delightful experience in the summer ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:00:26 PM UTC-8, FrozenNorth wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

I find they both have their pros and cons.
Sometimes one has better stuff than the other.

Lowes is brighter, but choice is not necessarly better, it just depeneds
on what you are looking for.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/14/2013 5:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

I have found Lowes to be more customer oriented that Home Depot. Hence
if I have a choice it is always Lowes.

However my favorite store is not in the Carolinas. I loved Menards, and
shopped there all most exclusively even though it was significantly
further that the Lowes or Home Depot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:00:26 PM UTC-8, FrozenNorth wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

I agree to some extent. I am finding that location location location
has a lot to do with how each appears. Two years ago my wife and I move
to a more upscale part of town. The Home Depot in that location was a
shock to me. Cleaner and the employees more helpful than any other HD
or Lowe's that I have been in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in
:

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:00:26 PM UTC-8, FrozenNorth wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand
Openi

ng today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but
interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the
autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer
and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. --
Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive
maintenance.

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more
geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit
more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty
consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

THEY'RE (lowes, hd, menards...) all the same and THEY'RE CRAP. No quality,
very little knowledge -- the little girl stocking hardware didn't know what
a stove bolt was.
NO quality at all especially lumber.
Lowes ran both ACE and True Value out of business here.
Now Menards is going to build across the street from Lowes.
MORE CRAP.
I HATE EM ALL.
thank you I do feel much better now.
BUT THEY"RE STILL CRAP.!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/14/2013 6:32 PM, I HATE BIG BOXES wrote:
[...]

Thanks for you ignorant replay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 3:00:26 PM UTC-8, FrozenNorth wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

It was definitely cleaner, but if it was anything other than clean on
opening day, there would be something very wrong, much brighter too.
I didn't need anything in particular that day, so I can't speak to the
stock levels directly, but what I saw looked good, it will take a few
trips over a bit to form a better/different opinion.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:32:40 GMT, I HATE BIG BOXES
THEY'RE (lowes, hd, menards...) all the same and THEY'RE CRAP. No quality,
very little knowledge -- the little girl stocking hardware didn't know what
a stove bolt was.
NO quality at all especially lumber.
Lowes ran both ACE and True Value out of business here.
Now Menards is going to build across the street from Lowes.
MORE CRAP.
I HATE EM ALL.
thank you I do feel much better now.
BUT THEY"RE STILL CRAP.!!!!

Hey, don't hide your feelings. Tell us what you *REALLY* feel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:19:44 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared
to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared
towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent
acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

At least in my area, the Lowes stores seem to have employees who know at
least a little more about what they're selling than Home Depot. At least
when I ask for something they seem to know what it is and where it is :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/15/2013 11:47 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:19:44 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared
to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared
towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent
acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

At least in my area, the Lowes stores seem to have employees who know at
least a little more about what they're selling than Home Depot. At least
when I ask for something they seem to know what it is and where it is :-).

It can sure be location dependent. The Home Depot in N Austin, TX, East
of 35 and not that far South from RM2222, has some of the most
construction knowledgeable young ladies I've ever experienced in any
Borg. A couple of them have more general construction knowledge than
most subs. Since Austin is a college town, my guess is that they're
either Architect or Industrial Arts majors.

Overall, and unlike most Home Depot locations here, Lowe's employees
seem to generally be smarter than the cash registers.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more
geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit
more geared towards contractors.

My local Lowes and Home Depot are mostly interchangeable. They carry most
of the same items, though Lowes does focus a bit more on "presentation"
with nice displays. Home Depot tends to have items in generic boxes with
tiny labels.

I don't care much for the organization at Lowes though.

Pouring footings for a deck or something? The concrete mix and metal
brackets are on the left end of the store. Anchor bolts? They're clear on
the other side of the store in the hardware section.

Installing a drainage system for your gutters or yard? The fittings and
drains are on the left end of the store in the plumbing section. If you
want the perforated drain pipe, you have to go to the other end of the
store, outside in the garden area.

Tiling a floor or wall? The tiles and mortar are at the back of store.
Cement or Hardibacker are at the front of the store with the plywood.

Most shopping trips for a project require walking back and forth from one
end of Lowes to the other to get the items you need. Home Depot tends to
group similar items together (not always!) so it's quicker to get in and
out when you're working on a project.

Also, Home Depot rents tools. Lowes does not.

Anthony Watson
Mountain Software
www.mountain-software.com/about.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 12, 6:00*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand
Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but
interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. *I didn't stay for the
autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer
and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store.
--
Froz...

If it wasn't for Google, I would have replied:

"Who the heck is Bryan Baeumler and why would I want to go to Lowes to
see him?"

;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 12, 6:00 pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand
Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but
interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the
autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer
and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store.
--
Froz...

If it wasn't for Google, I would have replied:

"Who the heck is Bryan Baeumler and why would I want to go to Lowes to
see him?"

;-)

I had to look him up to find out. I think
I'd rather meet Red Green! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/16/2013 1:44 PM, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 12, 6:00 pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand
Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but
interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the
autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer
and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store.
--
Froz...

If it wasn't for Google, I would have replied:

"Who the heck is Bryan Baeumler and why would I want to go to Lowes to
see him?"

;-)

I had to look him up to find out. I think
I'd rather meet Red Green! : )

Mike Holmes is the spokesman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically
the same stuff to the table. I believe Mike is a bit better known south
of the border.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:25:03 AM UTC-8, HerHusband wrote:
I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. My local Lowes and Home Depot are mostly interchangeable. They carry most of the same items, though Lowes does focus a bit more on "presentation" with nice displays. Home Depot tends to have items in generic boxes with tiny labels. I don't care much for the organization at Lowes though. Pouring footings for a deck or something? The concrete mix and metal brackets are on the left end of the store. Anchor bolts? They're clear on the other side of the store in the hardware section. Installing a drainage system for your gutters or yard? The fittings and drains are on the left end of the store in the plumbing section. If you want the perforated drain pipe, you have to go to the other end of the store, outside in the garden area. Tiling a floor or wall? The tiles and mortar are at the back of store. Cement or Hardibacker are at the front of the store with the plywood.. Most shopping trips for a project require walking back and forth from one end of Lowes to the other to get the items you need. Home Depot tends to group similar items together (not always!) so it's quicker to get in and out when you're working on a project. Also, Home Depot rents tools. Lowes does not. Anthony Watson Mountain Software www.mountain-software.com/about.htm

Well, I know from my marketing and business education that grocery stores are laid out in this fashion on purpose. Milk at the back of the store. Meat at one end. Vegtables at the other end. Raging debate if you should have some aisles all non-grocery or to mix the non-grocery among necessary grocery. It keeps changing over the years. They want you to have to walk the whole store. I wouldn't put it past someone as big as Lowes to try and "help" their customers notice more things they might like to buy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:58 -0500, FrozenNorth
Mike Holmes is the spokesman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically
the same stuff to the table. I believe Mike is a bit better known south
of the border.

Well, Mike has been in the business (On TV business) considerably
longer than Bryan Baeumler and hasn't, as far as I know, done any TV
work south of the border.

I particularly liked his series where he built himself a cottage.
Although, as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies more as a house in
every respect compared to a cottage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 1:44 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:58 -0500, FrozenNorth
Mike Holmes is the spokesman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically
the same stuff to the table. I believe Mike is a bit better known south
of the border.

Well, Mike has been in the business (On TV business) considerably
longer than Bryan Baeumler and hasn't, as far as I know, done any TV
work south of the border.

I particularly liked his series where he built himself a cottage.
Although, as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies more as a house in
every respect compared to a cottage.

Actually Mike did do a house in Los Angelas I believe it was, and he
also did a house in New Orleans after Katrina. Mike has also done a
judge stint of America's Greatest Handyman on HGTV in the US.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 16, 6:44*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
[...]

For the most part I'll agree with your "Milk at the back of the store.
Meat at one end. Vegtables at the other end." description.

However, there is a huge chain where I live that added a cooler
section right near the front of the store for milk, eggs, butter, and
a limited number of other staples. You can grab a gallon of milk and
walk less than 20 feet to the 10 items or less checkout. The rest of
the dairy department is in the farthest corner of the store.

The theory: If they can get you to think that you can get in and out
when you need just a couple of things, but also find everything you
need when you need a lot, then they've set themselves up to be the
only place you'll buy your groceries from. They'll be the only place
you think of whether you need a lot or a little - even if the next
time you need just a few things that aren't even by the front door.

The marketing tactic that I hate the most in the "slow down and look"
tiles as you enter the front door. They put tiles with huge grout
lines that cause the cart to rattle, shake and make a lot of noise
unless you slooooww waaaayyyy down, thus increasing the chance that
something will catch your eye.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:44:43 PM UTC-8, Upscale wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:58 -0500, FrozenNorth Mike Holmes is the spokesman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically the same stuff to the table. I believe Mike is a bit better known south of the border. Well, Mike has been in the business (On TV business) considerably longer than Bryan Baeumler and hasn't, as far as I know, done any TV work south of the border. I particularly liked his series where he built himself a cottage. Although, as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies more as a house in every respect compared to a cottage.

Holmes on Homes typical episode synopsis. "Mike finds two grains of mold and a loose nail so tears donw and rebuilds the whole haosue to make sure this doesn't happen again."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote:

The marketing tactic that I hate the most in the "slow down and
look"

tiles as you enter the front door. They put tiles with huge grout
lines that cause the cart to rattle, shake and make a lot of noise
unless you slooooww waaaayyyy down, thus increasing the chance that
something will catch your eye.
Sounds like something out of the lawyer's design handbook to keep an
unattended cart from rolling out of the store and into the parking lot
and hitting a customer vehicle.

Retailers with carts have been busy installing strips that are about
36"
wide that contain round discs that capture the cart wheels, keeping
carts out of parking lot across the entire front of the store.

This has been going on for a couple of years here in SoCal.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 17, 5:26*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:44:43 PM UTC-8, Upscale wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:58 -0500, FrozenNorth Mike Holmes is the spokesman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically the same stuff to the table. I believe Mike is a bit better known south of the border. Well, Mike has been in the business (On TV business) considerably longer than Bryan Baeumler and hasn't, as far as I know, done any TV work south of the border. I particularly liked his series where he built himself a cottage. Although, as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies more as a house in every respect compared to a cottage.

Holmes on Homes typical episode synopsis. "Mike finds two grains of mold and a loose nail so tears donw and rebuilds the whole haosue to make sure this doesn't happen again."

Nails are "minimum code" and we shouldn't accept that.

Air behind water! Air behind water! Air behind water!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 18, 3:29*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote:
The marketing tactic that I hate the most in the "slow down and
look"

tiles as you enter the front door. They put tiles with huge grout
lines that cause the cart to rattle, shake and make a lot of noise
unless you slooooww waaaayyyy down, thus increasing the chance that
something will catch your eye.
Sounds like something out of the lawyer's design handbook to keep an
unattended cart from rolling out of the store and into the parking lot
and hitting a customer vehicle.

Retailers with carts have been busy installing strips that are about
36"
wide that contain round discs that capture the cart wheels, keeping
carts out of parking lot across the entire front of the store.

This has been going on for a couple of years here in SoCal.

Lew

No, in the design I'm thinking off, it it specifically to slow the
shopper down.

Here's an excerpt from 'What Your Supermarket Knows About You"

Stolen without permission from:

http://ideas.time.com/2011/10/21/wha...ows-about-you/

"After driving for nearly two hours, I reached my destination: a huge,
imposing warehouse, with no outward signage, and a vast parking lot
full of cars. A friendly receptionist checked my identity, had me sign
all sorts of paperwork, and directed me through a door labeled Control
Room. It was massive, and resembled images I’ve seen of NASA’s
operations area — row upon row of people staring intently at hundreds
of screens, only they were monitoring shoppers pushing carts around
the aisles of a supermarket that had been designed to test their
this lady,” said one of the monitors, pointing to a middle-aged woman
on the screen. “She’s about to enter our latest speed-bump area. It’s
designed to have her spend 45 seconds longer in this section, which
can increase her average spend by as much as 73%. I call it the zone
of seduction.”

This particular section of the market was different from the usual
aisle. For a start, it had different floor tiles — a type of parquetry
imparting a sense of quality. And instead of the cart gliding
imperceptibly across nondescript linoleum, it made a clickety-clack
sound, causing the shopper to instinctively slow down. The shopper’s
speed was displayed at the top of the screen, and as soon as she
entered the zone, her pace noticeably slowed. She began looking at a
tall tower of Campbell’s soup, and then plucked a can off the top.
Bingo! The sign in front of the display read: “1.95. Maximum three
cans per customer.” Before the shopper slowly sauntered off, she had
carefully selected three cans for her cart."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/17/2013 11:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 16, 6:44 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:25:03 AM UTC-8, HerHusband wrote:

The marketing tactic that I hate the most in the "slow down and look"
tiles as you enter the front door. They put tiles with huge grout
lines that cause the cart to rattle, shake and make a lot of noise
unless you slooooww waaaayyyy down, thus increasing the chance that
something will catch your eye.

I wonder if that is the purpose or to shake the snow, ice, water off the
cart before going farther in the store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:27:03 -0700, Swingman wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I always value Lowes over the Despot because you could get those 10% coupons
in the 'moving kits' at the post office.
When doing big projects, I'd stock up at the local post office and save a few
$100 in the process. I'm sure I've saved a few grand over the years.

Of course now they discovered what I was doing and the moving kits only
contain a code you enter at their web site to get the coupon emailed to you.

It only works once, then you have to get creative in creating new email
accounts.....

-Bruce