Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New Lowes

On Jan 18, 3:29*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote:
The marketing tactic that I hate the most in the "slow down and
look"

tiles as you enter the front door. They put tiles with huge grout
lines that cause the cart to rattle, shake and make a lot of noise
unless you slooooww waaaayyyy down, thus increasing the chance that
something will catch your eye.
Sounds like something out of the lawyer's design handbook to keep an
unattended cart from rolling out of the store and into the parking lot
and hitting a customer vehicle.

Retailers with carts have been busy installing strips that are about
36"
wide that contain round discs that capture the cart wheels, keeping
carts out of parking lot across the entire front of the store.

This has been going on for a couple of years here in SoCal.

Lew

No, in the design I'm thinking off, it it specifically to slow the
shopper down.

Here's an excerpt from 'What Your Supermarket Knows About You"

Stolen without permission from:

http://ideas.time.com/2011/10/21/wha...ows-about-you/

"After driving for nearly two hours, I reached my destination: a huge,
imposing warehouse, with no outward signage, and a vast parking lot
full of cars. A friendly receptionist checked my identity, had me sign
all sorts of paperwork, and directed me through a door labeled Control
Room. It was massive, and resembled images I’ve seen of NASA’s
operations area — row upon row of people staring intently at hundreds
of screens, only they were monitoring shoppers pushing carts around
the aisles of a supermarket that had been designed to test their
this lady,” said one of the monitors, pointing to a middle-aged woman
on the screen. “She’s about to enter our latest speed-bump area. It’s
designed to have her spend 45 seconds longer in this section, which
can increase her average spend by as much as 73%. I call it the zone
of seduction.”

This particular section of the market was different from the usual
aisle. For a start, it had different floor tiles — a type of parquetry
imparting a sense of quality. And instead of the cart gliding
imperceptibly across nondescript linoleum, it made a clickety-clack
sound, causing the shopper to instinctively slow down. The shopper’s
speed was displayed at the top of the screen, and as soon as she
entered the zone, her pace noticeably slowed. She began looking at a
tall tower of Campbell’s soup, and then plucked a can off the top.
Bingo! The sign in front of the display read: “1.95. Maximum three
cans per customer.” Before the shopper slowly sauntered off, she had
carefully selected three cans for her cart."