Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lowes vs. HD....

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....
If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....
If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places?
Bob

When I worked down your way I went to O'Connors for everything.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

By that logic, you should deal directly with every manufacturer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

Mostly it's the customer service.

Which means not having to walk a mile and a half trying to find something.

And being able to drive right up to the lumber rack and having someone else
load it for me certainly doesn't hurt matters either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/5/2012 9:03 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
When I worked down your way I went to O'Connors for everything.

O'Connors is great - I pay a little more there in the hope that it will
help them be there forever.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:16:25 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

And quite often..better prices.

Fergusens is a large plumbing supply company, at least here in
California.

I can buy black or galvanized pipe and fittings at any Fergies for
1/2-2/3 the cost of HD or Lowes.

http://www.ferguson.com/locations-finder

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

By that logic, you should deal directly with every manufacturer.

How do you figure that? The big box stores carry the low end of every
manufacturer's line, the stuff that will last a short while and then
send the consumer back for a replacement. The trade supply houses deal
with the upper end of the manufacturer's product line, the ones that
will last a long time and not result in unpaid callbacks after the
plumber/carpenter/electrician has installed the product.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

And quite often..better prices.

Fergusens is a large plumbing supply company, at least here in
California.

I can buy black or galvanized pipe and fittings at any Fergies for
1/2-2/3 the cost of HD or Lowes.

http://www.ferguson.com/locations-finder

Ditto Grover for electrical and plumbing supplies here in OR.
Better pricing, higher quality, better selection. Win/Win.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-05, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[ ... list snipped ... ]

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

By that logic, you should deal directly with every manufacturer.

If they were local, *and* if they would deal with individuals, I
might. But they want larger quantities than my individual purchases
usually involve, and I can understand that, too.

So a good store dedicated to the subset of interest (electrical
contractors, plumbing, lumber, hardware, etc) is often better than a
do-it-all-poorly place like HD. (But sometimes, I *have* to deal with
them. :-(

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Pete C." wrote in message

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

Not always possible if you work for a living during the day. If I can get to
a legitimate pumbing supply I do, the prices are cheaper than HD, although
much of the stock is the same as they supply HD with most of the name brand
fixtures, burners, etc.. Taco, for example, does not make a different
circulator for HD. The bottom end faucets straight from China are a
different story.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 05 Dec 2012
10:20:21 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 12/5/2012 12:08 AM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....

If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....

If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...

If you want plumbing and lumber and hardware, you go to 3 places? Bob

Generally, yes. While on the surface it may seem like extra effort, the
reality is that by going to the three specific places you will 1. find
everything you need, 2. find higher quality products 3. get better
customer service.

By that logic, you should deal directly with every manufacturer.

If I was buying in rail Car lots, it might be. It might be worth
it, at that level, to just order the "case" or pallet lot from the
dealer.
On a smaller scale, I once ordered a box of padlocks, all keyed a
like, from / through a local hardware store. Saved me the hassle of
finding, ordering and waiting for the shipping, they got the "order so
much and get a discount" offer. Of course, it was a month later that
the order got placed and delivered, and by then Lloyd was trying to
remember why he ordered a box of padlocks, all keyed alike. B-)

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the