Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping: Larry Jaques - Re plate Joiner

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill

Sorry, that was supposed to be PJ7000.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:02:14 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill

Sorry, that was supposed to be PJ7000.

I've got the PC 557 which has a good fence. To be honest it hasn't
been used in sometime. If I went looking for it and it wasn't there I
would be more worried about not being able to remember what happened
to it. Some of it is having the Domino, but had better luck with
pocket screws, or splines. But that's just my opinion others may
really like and use them.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 5:36 PM, Mike M wrote:
I've got the PC 557 which has a good fence. To be honest it hasn't
been used in sometime. If I went looking for it and it wasn't there I
would be more worried about not being able to remember what happened
to it. Some of it is having the Domino, but had better luck with
pocket screws, or splines. But that's just my opinion others may
really like and use them.

I have the 557 also, and it has been the favorite amongst the old
timer's for years, although I couldn't vouch for the current version
made in who knows where.

Basically I use mine only for gluing up flat panels and reinforcing
miter joints on wide frames, but, and not having a Domino (not worth
breaking out the Multi-Router for something the 557 can do) it's not
something I would like to be without.

Bill, I'm not sure about the other brands on the market today, but one
of the 557's selling points in years past was that it included a smaller
blade for face frame biscuit application ... although I don't use it for
face frames, it is handy to have that smaller biscuit option, used more
frequently than you would suspect at first blush.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 6:08 PM, Swingman wrote:

I have the 557 also, and it has been the favorite amongst the old
timer's for years, although I couldn't vouch for the current version
made in who knows where.

Nothing against the Makita as I have no experience with it. I bought
the PC557 a number of years aqo not because I needed it at the time, but
because I WANTED oneg

It sat in the shop watching all kinds of projects but rarely was called
off the bench. I think I may have used it for its intended purpose
three or four times making up some cabinet face frames and it performed
as expected. The quality and finish was top notch and I would not
hesitate to purchase it all over again... because

Bill, I'm not sure about the other brands on the market today, but one
of the 557's selling points in years past was that it included a smaller
blade for face frame biscuit application ... although I don't use it for
face frames, it is handy to have that smaller biscuit option, used more
frequently than you would suspect at first blush.

Among its hidden talents which I discovered out of desperation (seeking
to find an EASY way to undercut door jambs as I was installing a new
kitchen floor) is just that: undercutting door jambs for flooring.

It is WONDERFUL at that task. With the fence/blade set at its lowest
level it's "just right" for laminate flooring, such as Pergo, et al.
Going with 3/4" wood or machined hardwood, etc. just make a spacer plate
out of plywood and use the adjustment on the PC557 to fine tune it from
"close" to PERFECT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 10/28/2012 5:36 PM, Mike M wrote:
I've got the PC 557 which has a good fence. To be honest it hasn't
been used in sometime. If I went looking for it and it wasn't there I
would be more worried about not being able to remember what happened
to it. Some of it is having the Domino, but had better luck with
pocket screws, or splines. But that's just my opinion others may
really like and use them.

I have the 557 also, and it has been the favorite amongst the old
timer's for years, although I couldn't vouch for the current version
made in who knows where.

Basically I use mine only for gluing up flat panels and reinforcing
miter joints on wide frames, but, and not having a Domino (not worth
breaking out the Multi-Router for something the 557 can do) it's not
something I would like to be without.

I'm sorry to hear that.. ; )

Bill, I'm not sure about the other brands on the market today, but one
of the 557's selling points in years past was that it included a smaller
blade for face frame biscuit application ... although I don't use it for
face frames, it is handy to have that smaller biscuit option, used more
frequently than you would suspect at first blush.

One of the many reviews I read, said "be aware that they dropped the
price by $20 and stopped including the extra blade, which they sell for
$34". The current situation (at Amazon) is that the tool is $207 with
only the standard 4" blade.

The P-C 557 was surely on my "short list" (which I haven't quite had for
24 hours yet). I pondered that maybe it was better to buy a tool that
has been upgraded more recently, but maybe I have that backwards! P-C
surely isn't the label is used to be.

You mentioned the smaller biscuits (size "FF"). They sound handy for
"alignment" purposes.

I'm going to try to work with some of that Formaldehyde-free
("Purebond") plywood and see if I can do so without experiencing
allergic reactions. If so, then I'll procede with this.

It took a long time for the biscuit joiner to make it into my radar
screen...much like the "impact driver" did this summer. Gosh, what next!
It just doesn't get much more exciting than learning about a new tool
you can put to use. Even seeing an old one that someone else put to
use is pretty interesting! Tool with the most bank for the buck?
Easy...a pencil.

Cheers,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill

Sorry, that was supposed to be PJ7000.

I've got the PC 557 which has a good fence. To be honest it hasn't
been used in sometime. If I went looking for it and it wasn't there I
would be more worried about not being able to remember what happened
to it. Some of it is having the Domino, but had better luck with
pocket screws, or splines. But that's just my opinion others may
really like and use them.

Now that I have better grasp of what is at stake, I'll try to learn a
little more about the Domino. My first impression is that it appears
"heavier duty". Your post was helpful to me. Thank you!

Bill

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
[...]

We sure have our fair share of "perfectionists" around here!
Thanks for the lesson!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:35:27 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

I have the less-precise HF version, but it works OK. I keep
threatening to tear it down and put a simple shim washer in there to
make it perform better, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe
this winter... The plate has slop so I get wider-than-required
biscuit holes. Then again, it was $150 cheaper than the others and I
seldom use it. I learned to leave the power on while removing it and
it cuts only 0.010" wide that way, and biscuits swell that much.
They're on sale for $45 today. wink

I have a Makita 4-1/2" angle grinder and an HF grinder. Both are
great.

The more I use the Makita SP6001K plunge saw, the more I like it. I
sold Dina and will use the little Makita and my portable 10" table saw
in the future. Between the two, she should be replaced OK. The new
owner will be picking it up sometime this next week. He's a high-
volume Old Tool owner from Woodburn, up by Portland, OR.

Here's a truly lousy bisquick review:
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...-joiners-tool/
They hate every single model. g

How about a used DeWally for $120?

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

I like the looks of the Domino and will probably buy one at some point, but
where you are Bill, I'd encourage you to consider a table saw first. It's a
matter of owning the tools that will allow you to take advantage of other
tools - and of course, to do the basic forms of work even if they are a
little more longhand than what the cooler things might enable down the road.
A Domino on a ****ty cut made by a circular saw or a jig saw isn't going to
offer one single bit of benefit. On the other hand, a good cut made on a
table saw can be joined in a multitude of ways - Domino or no Domino. If
you buy the cooler tools first, you'll end up with tools on your shelf that
you really can't take advantage of.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject.

A PC690, a couple of fly cutters and a 5/32" straight bit eliminated
any consideration of a plate joiner for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:08:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

That's why I still have mine. I have a skylight rebuild to do in my
living room where it may be the best solution. I forgot all about the
face frame benefit and somewhere I have shims for the face that were
available to solve a problem. I need to build storage. I took
advantage of the woodpecker full slide drawer deal and plan to build
more storage. I should have 10 20" full slide and 10 22" drawer
slides by pairs.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

Having read Mike Marlows post I'll jump in with him. If you don't
have a table saw or a great track saw don't buy the Domino. A great
table saw will let you build jigs and other things which will do more
for you then a biscuit cutter or a domino. Really it should be your
primary tool. For some of the projects you've mentioned I would
concentrate on the tool which will likely be the center of your shop.

Mike M

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here , here.
I don't own a Domino.. I do my M&T using tablesaw , moritsing machine,
drill press, router or by hand.

I have a Dewalt biscuit joiner... hardly use it. (it is very good,
although not as good as the old porter cable)

What Mike and Mike said is abolutely true. The tablesaw should by higher
on your list. I don't know if you have a bandsaw, but that too is above
the biscuit joiner. The bandsaw can do cuts that would be too scary on
the tablesaw. A good glue joint doesn't require biscuits.
The only thing biscuits do is allow you to align more easily (usually)
but when edge joining, I stopped using the biscuits. I get better
alignment by working the joints. For perpendicular joints, a dado or
groove is more efficient, and stronger.

While the need might be there, you can really get by w/o one. Get one
used and you'll save yourself some money.

Now I wish I had more time to work in the shop.. the job and 4-5 hours
of commuting is eliminating all shop time.. Damn, when you don't have a
job you can't work (no funds, no drive) when you have a job ... you
can't work... no time..

Looking forward to a day when I can get back to working wood... and
soon. To all the other east coasters in the path of Sandy good luck.
I put all my stuff high this time.. Irene did me in.. first flood I ever
had in this house.. this time all my equip is I hope out of harms way.
If we get the 10" that they predict... I may have to move some stuff higher.

Bill wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

*snip*

It just doesn't get much more exciting than learning about a new tool
you can put to use. Even seeing an old one that someone else put to
use is pretty interesting! Tool with the most bank for the buck?
Easy...a pencil.

Cheers,
Bill

Just make sure to get yourself a good pencil sharpener. I went with a
manual one that you mount on the wall and use it on average about twice a
week.

Used to use a knife before that, and while it worked it was a hassle and
took a couple of minutes versus less than 30 seconds with the sharpener.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:
A great
table saw will let you build jigs and other things which will do more
for you then a biscuit cutter or a domino. Really it should be your
primary tool. For some of the projects you've mentioned I would
concentrate on the tool which will likely be the center of your shop.

I would not want to do without mine, but it really depends on what you want
to do. For someone who does a lot of cabinets a table saw is almost a
necessity, although many pro cabinetmakers, who work mostly on site, have
gone to track saws lately.

Someone who wants to concentrate on furniture may well do better spending
money on a top notch bandsaw plus a track saw, especially in a smaller
shop.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

A TS is on the horizon. I need to finish my drywall, painting, and
lighting renovations first. At least the first two. It's not convenient
to introduce a TS in the shop while I have everything "stack up" into
the middle of its centre (i.e. away from the walls). In the meantime, at
least I can work at my workbench.

BTW, I didn't say I was ready to run out and buy a Domino, just that I
was going to learn a little more about them. I was serious though about
the biscuit cutter and a jigsaw (I didn't mention the latter).

Lew's comments about using a 5/32" straight bit wasn't lost on me either
(I still need to look up "fly cutters". That's my next search.)

I can't do drywall work during the current season, so I just have to do
what I can do. Gaining insight counts for alot (to me), and I picked up
a fair amount of that this weekend--for sure!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:00:30 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Mike M wrote:
A great
table saw will let you build jigs and other things which will do more
for you then a biscuit cutter or a domino. Really it should be your
primary tool. For some of the projects you've mentioned I would
concentrate on the tool which will likely be the center of your shop.

I would not want to do without mine, but it really depends on what you want
to do. For someone who does a lot of cabinets a table saw is almost a
necessity, although many pro cabinetmakers, who work mostly on site, have
gone to track saws lately.

Someone who wants to concentrate on furniture may well do better spending
money on a top notch bandsaw plus a track saw, especially in a smaller
shop.

Agree with you other then I would think with furniture making as
oppossed to sheet goods you would really be better off with the
tablesaw. I've got a sliding table on the unisaw and still go to the
TS55 for sheet goods. But if I had to rip 4X4 material to dimension
I would want the table saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:57:52 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
I like the looks of the Domino and will probably buy one at some point, but
where you are Bill, I'd encourage you to consider a table saw first.

I agree 100%. My Domino is indispensable to me in many areas, but it's
always proceeded by what I cut on the tablesaw. I grew up with access
to a tablesaw until I bought my first one at 18 years of age. Every
shop I used after that was always arranged around a tablesaw.

Eventually, I bought a biscuit joiner that did what it was supposed
to. But, once I bought the Domino, the biscuit joiner sat on a shelf
virtually unused for the next two years. Ended up selling it and 2000
biscuits for $50. If memory serves, the biscuits themselves cost me
$80, but don't regret letting the joiner go one bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:23:49 -0400, Bill wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

I see that the shop is your "bow saur project", Bill. giggle

BTW, I didn't say I was ready to run out and buy a Domino, just that I
was going to learn a little more about them. I was serious though about
the biscuit cutter and a jigsaw (I didn't mention the latter).

They're nice, but not at the price of a firstborn.
(Leon need not reply.)

Lew's comments about using a 5/32" straight bit wasn't lost on me either
(I still need to look up "fly cutters". That's my next search.)

"How do you get them to sit still for that?" is what I want to know.

I can't do drywall work during the current season, so I just have to do
what I can do.

Why not? It's all inside work. Heat the shop and go for it. If it's
still too damp, use a dehumidifier. Borrow one if you don't have one.
Or put up -all- those lights. That'll heat the shop. gd&r

Gaining insight counts for alot (to me), and I picked up
a fair amount of that this weekend--for sure!

Ayup, knowledge and insight are wonderful things.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 11:23 PM, Bill wrote:

(I still need to look up "fly cutters". That's my next search.)

Don't bother, it will just confuse you. To use a "fly cutter" in lieu of
a plate jointer to cut biscuit slots would not get you very far.

What Lew surely meant to say was a "slot cutter":

http://www.cheyennesales.com/catalog/cmtslot.htm

Fly Cutter bit:

http://www.toolstoday.com/c-488-spoi...uter-bits.aspx

They are used for two entirely different purposes.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 4:35 PM, Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill

Most all better brand companies these days make a good plate joiner.
The PC 557 is probably the majority choice. And I have that one too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill

Sorry, that was supposed to be PJ7000.

I've got the PC 557 which has a good fence. To be honest it hasn't
been used in sometime. If I went looking for it and it wasn't there I
would be more worried about not being able to remember what happened
to it. Some of it is having the Domino, but had better luck with
pocket screws, or splines. But that's just my opinion others may
really like and use them.

Agree there, having both the PC 557 and the Domino, choosing the Domino
over the PC 557 is like choosing square drive over straight. I keep the
PC557 as there are odd times when I need a narrow moon shaped slot, like
for a desk drawer lock with the swinging arm that needs to turn into a slot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good to know!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 12:20 AM, Mike M wrote:

Agree with you other then I would think with furniture making as
oppossed to sheet goods you would really be better off with the
tablesaw. I've got a sliding table on the unisaw and still go to the
TS55 for sheet goods. But if I had to rip 4X4 material to dimension
I would want the table saw.

Despite the fact that unless you have a 12" Unisaw saw, you won't be
_ripping_ "4x4 material" in one pass either (like a bandsaw will), what
piece of furniture have you seen lately that requires ripping "4x4
material"?

Besides, pick up any furniture catalog, you know - those things that
seem to come twice in the mail everyday g - and you'll notice that
most furniture, relative to cabinetry, has one design feature in common
.... curved components.

You can't easily cut curves on a table saw, but a bandsaw excels at it,
and a top notch bandsaw will "rip" much thicker material than most table
saws ...

.... just ask any sawmill owner.

I would venture to say that any fine furniture maker worthy of the name,
who was forced to make a choice between a table saw and a bandsaw, would
choose the bandsaw without question.

IMO, and with the advent of the track saw, you can do without a table
saw if you must make a choice; and which one you purchase as a mandatory
tool for your shop should be based on the preponderance of the type of
work you do.

That notwithstanding, you would have to pry _my_ Unisaw from my cold
dead hands!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2012 7:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
[...]

I used to use a lot of biscuits or so I thought. Save up and get the
Domino. Yes 3 times more expensive but you will use it at least 5 times
more than the plate joiner. ;~) I have had my Domino for about 5 years
now and have probably used 3~4 thousand Dominoes. In the 23 years that
I have a plate joiner I have not use half that many biscuits.

I get way more bang for my buck with the Domino that I did with either
of my plate joiners.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Bill wrote:

[...]

I agree that the TS is fore most the tool that should come first. A
plate jointer and or Domino will not allow good results unless you have
perfect cuts that a TS will allow you to make.

BTW, I didn't say I was ready to run out and buy a Domino, just that I
was going to learn a little more about them. I was serious though about
the biscuit cutter and a jigsaw (I didn't mention the latter).

If you even think you will get a Domino save the Plate joiner money to
go towards that. There is no more learning curve with the Domino than
any other plate joiner, they essentially operate the same way. So you
don't learn on one and graduate to the other to begin the learning over.
The Domino just does a heck of a lot more than a plate joiner. I
strongly suspect that once the patent on the Domino expires and other
begin building the tool plate joiner will disappear.

Lew's comments about using a 5/32" straight bit wasn't lost on me either
(I still need to look up "fly cutters". That's my next search.)

In a pinch but that will do, but a PIA, especially if you want to place
slots in the middle of the face of a board. Then you have to change to
a straight bit and clamp on a fence and plunge cut the slots.

I can't do drywall work during the current season, so I just have to do
what I can do. Gaining insight counts for alot (to me), and I picked up
a fair amount of that this weekend--for sure!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 2:53 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:57:52 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
I like the looks of the Domino and will probably buy one at some point, but
where you are Bill, I'd encourage you to consider a table saw first.

I agree 100%. My Domino is indispensable to me in many areas, but it's
always proceeded by what I cut on the tablesaw. I grew up with access
to a tablesaw until I bought my first one at 18 years of age. Every
shop I used after that was always arranged around a tablesaw.

Eventually, I bought a biscuit joiner that did what it was supposed
to. But, once I bought the Domino, the biscuit joiner sat on a shelf
virtually unused for the next two years. Ended up selling it and 2000
biscuits for $50. If memory serves, the biscuits themselves cost me
$80, but don't regret letting the joiner go one bit.

I buy biscuits by the box, 6 bag boxes. I get them, 1800, for about
$80. so about 4.4 cents each. I used to pay $30 for 1000 biscuits, or
..3 cents each. The price difference is not a factor. The quality of
the 5mm domino over the biscuit is.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:34:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Have to agree with that don't know why I used that size when I was
thinking 8/4. On the larger size I would definitly go to the band
saw. When I got my bigger bandsaw I kept the old one just so Ididn't
have to change blades very often. LOL I'm lazy.
Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

[...]

I'll have to remember that use.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

I holeheartedly agree about the band saw.
about 20 years ago, I received the advice of going for a bandsaw over a
tablesaw. I rejected that advice and went with the tablesaw.
I could make straight stuff, but needed my jig saw to make any shaped stuff.

I then bought a Delta 14" later. I struggled, because I hadn't set it up
correctly, even though I read Dukinske's book. It was not like I had
been used to in my younger years, I used a mamoth bandsaw when I was young.

Well, I finally tuned my bandsaw (following Duginskee and by ear) and
love it. I stopped using the point and went back to the fence for
resawing. Relief cuts for curves, and the proper blade most of the time.
The saw performs great now. I wish I had gone for the Laguna (came out
b4 I made the Bandsaw purchase) or the Jet 18" way back. But hind sight
is 20/20. Wish I had more HP, but my Timberwolf solved a lot of the
problems I had. The OLSON blade was crap.

You don't need a tracksaw, but it wouldn't hurt. A regular circ saw can
be made to follow a track, homemade or store bought. I made my own
tempered hardboard track. it works great for fast dimensioning.

Someone who wants to concentrate on furniture may well do better spending
money on a top notch bandsaw plus a track saw, especially in a smaller
shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 10:10 AM, Mike M wrote:
When I got my bigger bandsaw I kept the old one just so Ididn't
have to change blades very often. LOL I'm lazy.

Nice drive-by ... you suck!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

What Lew surely meant to say was a "slot cutter":

Mea Culpa.

Yep, "slot cutter" it is.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

A TS is on the horizon.

BTW, I didn't say I was ready to run out and buy a Domino, just that I
was going to learn a little more about them. I was serious though about
the biscuit cutter and a jigsaw (I didn't mention the latter).

Bill

Get the table saw immediately. Before anything else. You use it for dimensioning plywood and cutting solid wood. Table saw is used to cut everything.

Skip the jigsaw. Its inaccurate. Does not, cannot cut straight.

I have the DeWalt plate joiner. Its good. I think its the best plate joiner available. I use it for edge joining boards to form panels. Great for that. Also edge joins plywood.

But, if I did not have a plate joiner or the Domino, I would likely get just the Domino. It can do what the plate joiner does for me, edge join boards, and do much more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:21:47 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/28/2012 4:35 PM, Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill

Most all better brand companies these days make a good plate joiner.
The PC 557 is probably the majority choice. And I have that one too.

Did you choose it because it came with the extra cutter and finish
bisquits for only a bit more money? Besides it being a high quality
tool, of course.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;
in no way can the success of evil be made quicker or surer.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

*snip*

Skip the jigsaw. Its inaccurate. Does not, cannot cut straight.

Have you tried a good one? I've got a Bosch that cuts straight (against a
fence) or cuts curves easily. If it doesn't follow the line, it's *my*
fault, not that of the tool.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

Skip the jigsaw. Its inaccurate. Does not, cannot cut straight.

My guess is you have never used a Bosch with a Bosch bimetal blade.

Lew

Puckdropper" wrote:

Have you tried a good one? I've got a Bosch that cuts straight
(against a
fence) or cuts curves easily. If it doesn't follow the line, it's
*my*
fault, not that of the tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 10/28/2012 4:35 PM, Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

Of course, anyone is free to reply to this thread.

Bill

Most all better brand companies these days make a good plate joiner.
The PC 557 is probably the majority choice. And I have that one too.

Did you choose it because it came with the extra cutter and finish
bisquits for only a bit more money? Besides it being a high quality
tool, of course.

I bought mine as an eeeeearllly type 1. I bought it to replace my 556
plate joiner which was belt drive. IIRC at the time it had the best
fence design. Some design feature of the fence infringed on DeWalts
patent thus Type 2 which everyone disliked. I paid $197 IIRC I do have
the FF cuter but seldom used it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2012 2:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
" wrote:

Skip the jigsaw. Its inaccurate. Does not, cannot cut straight.

My guess is you have never used a Bosch with a Bosch bimetal blade.

Or a Milwaukee, or a Festool.... with a Bosch blade.