Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping: Larry Jaques - Re plate Joiner

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:35:27 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry, I recall you own some Makita tools, and I know you use your
tools. I was looking at the Makita plate joiner (J7000). If you have a
plate joiner whose precision you are very happy with, I hope that you'll
share with me which one you are using. I'm trying to make sure I choose
one with a reliable fence.

I have the less-precise HF version, but it works OK. I keep
threatening to tear it down and put a simple shim washer in there to
make it perform better, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe
this winter... The plate has slop so I get wider-than-required
biscuit holes. Then again, it was $150 cheaper than the others and I
seldom use it. I learned to leave the power on while removing it and
it cuts only 0.010" wide that way, and biscuits swell that much.
They're on sale for $45 today. wink

I have a Makita 4-1/2" angle grinder and an HF grinder. Both are
great.

The more I use the Makita SP6001K plunge saw, the more I like it. I
sold Dina and will use the little Makita and my portable 10" table saw
in the future. Between the two, she should be replaced OK. The new
owner will be picking it up sometime this next week. He's a high-
volume Old Tool owner from Woodburn, up by Portland, OR.

Here's a truly lousy bisquick review:
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...-joiners-tool/
They hate every single model. g

How about a used DeWally for $120?

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;