patrick mitchel

Default Larry Jaques?

You get the Ryobi battery reconstituted? Out of the bits of the 2? Inquiring
minds want to know....Pat

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:53:13 -0800, "patrick mitchel"
calmly ranted:

You get the Ryobi battery reconstituted? Out of the bits of the 2? Inquiring
minds want to know....Pat

Newp, not yet. I've had too many other things/projects on my mind,
tables, benches, and floors lately. The packs are sitting on my
kitchen countertop, so they won't be in the way too much longer.
Luckily, I'm a bachelor so I'm not getting hit by them.

The one replacement pack lasts umpteen times longer than these
two dead packs did toward the end, so I'm getting by quite
nicely. I also put a half inch Jacobs chuck (no, not a real one,
a $9.95 job from HF) on my old B&D corded drill recently, while
waiting for the replacement pack.

Maybe I should do that 'battery thing' right now...

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:53:13 -0800, "patrick mitchel"
calmly ranted:

You get the Ryobi battery reconstituted? Out of the bits of the 2? Inquiring
minds want to know....Pat

So far, so good. The solder wick worked well and the refurbed (3
replacement cells from the other pack) battery is on the charger
now. I pulled it off and it runs the drill motor at full speed
and torque for a few seconds (until my hand heats up). I'll pull
it off later and use it today and tomorrow. That should tell me
if it's going to work. I have 5 spare cells left, so...

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

patrick mitchel

Good deal, don't expect miracles- ain't gonna be an "a" pack. The weak cell
is gonna drag down the pack but you should get some mileage out of the
thing. I frankensteined a pack for a black and decker that someone gave up
on the job I used to work- when I tried to locate who owned it - no joy so i
figgered I had a cordless. Yabbut it needed brushes, new battery, switch
work. I can see why the guy left it behind. The cells I got from american
scientific that was selling used 7.2v packs of subc cells. Had to replace
about half of the cells and the thing still works when needed- with single
speed isn't much. But adding stuff to the waste side of life bugs me, so
it's still kickin. Pat

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:49:08 -0800, "patrick mitchel"
calmly ranted:

Good deal, don't expect miracles- ain't gonna be an "a" pack. The weak cell
is gonna drag down the pack but you should get some mileage out of the
thing. I frankensteined a pack for a black and decker that someone gave up
on the job I used to work- when I tried to locate who owned it - no joy so i
figgered I had a cordless. Yabbut it needed brushes, new battery, switch
work. I can see why the guy left it behind. The cells I got from american
scientific that was selling used 7.2v packs of subc cells. Had to replace
about half of the cells and the thing still works when needed- with single
speed isn't much. But adding stuff to the waste side of life bugs me, so
it's still kickin. Pat

Day 2: My 14.4 pack's still kickin' at full bore.
By Jove, I think she's going to make it!

I've always been amazed at the length of charge on the little Skil
9.6v drill my folks gave me a decade ago. It runs for months at a time
doing light-duty service. I keep it around for drilling while I use
the Ryobi for screwing/countersinking/larger bores that won't fit in
the cheaparse 8" HF drill press. That Skil battery won't seem to die,
either. I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

patrick mitchel

I've always been amazed at the length of charge on the little Skil
9.6v drill my folks gave me a decade ago. It runs for months at a time
doing light-duty service

Did the skil have an overnight charger? mebbe the slow charge along with
the slow charge batteries(they have nicads that are meant to be slow charged
and can be killed by a vigorous charger) means long life. I had some nicads
that went back to the 70's when I first used them and finally retired the
last one a month ago- thats a long life. Perhaps the QC was better then .
Pat

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:08:36 -0800, "patrick mitchel"
calmly ranted:

I've always been amazed at the length of charge on the little Skil
9.6v drill my folks gave me a decade ago. It runs for months at a time
doing light-duty service

Did the skil have an overnight charger? mebbe the slow charge along with

Yes, it does, but that also means it doesn't have the float
circuit which is supposed to protect the newer batt packs.

the slow charge batteries(they have nicads that are meant to be slow charged
and can be killed by a vigorous charger) means long life. I had some nicads
that went back to the 70's when I first used them and finally retired the
last one a month ago- thats a long life. Perhaps the QC was better then .

Could be.

Murphy was an Optimist