Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ping: Larry Jaques - Re plate Joiner

On 10/28/2012 6:08 PM, Swingman wrote:

I have the 557 also, and it has been the favorite amongst the old
timer's for years, although I couldn't vouch for the current version
made in who knows where.

Nothing against the Makita as I have no experience with it. I bought
the PC557 a number of years aqo not because I needed it at the time, but
because I WANTED oneg

It sat in the shop watching all kinds of projects but rarely was called
off the bench. I think I may have used it for its intended purpose
three or four times making up some cabinet face frames and it performed
as expected. The quality and finish was top notch and I would not
hesitate to purchase it all over again... because

Bill, I'm not sure about the other brands on the market today, but one
of the 557's selling points in years past was that it included a smaller
blade for face frame biscuit application ... although I don't use it for
face frames, it is handy to have that smaller biscuit option, used more
frequently than you would suspect at first blush.

Among its hidden talents which I discovered out of desperation (seeking
to find an EASY way to undercut door jambs as I was installing a new
kitchen floor) is just that: undercutting door jambs for flooring.

It is WONDERFUL at that task. With the fence/blade set at its lowest
level it's "just right" for laminate flooring, such as Pergo, et al.
Going with 3/4" wood or machined hardwood, etc. just make a spacer plate
out of plywood and use the adjustment on the PC557 to fine tune it from
"close" to PERFECT.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good to know!