Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best bang for ten bucks ...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675

If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might
want to see if they're running this in-store today.

Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one
without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice
grip style hand clamp, over all other methods).

FWIW ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/12 3:01 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675

If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might
want to see if they're running this in-store today.

Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one
without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice
grip style hand clamp, over all other methods).

FWIW ...

Both, together, work very well.
It seems like one without the other allows the seem to slip when the
screw enters, about every other time.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:01:09 PM UTC-7, Swingman wrote:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675 If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... -- www.eWoodShop.com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious) http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Do you suppose they are making any money at $9.99. I suppose yes. So normally $12.00 more seems a bit like a bit of gouging. I understand they are a specialty retailer so need to have bigger margins to cover the lower volumes and high cost of holding rare inventory for long periods but this confirms to me that their a bit out of line on pricing quite often.

I have a lot of fun near my home where a Harbor Freight is 20 feet away fom Rockler.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675

If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see
if they're running this in-store today.

Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the
quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp,
over all other methods).

FWIW ...

That link states online only.
It seems to me that it would be trivial to make an equivalent device
using a block of wood, a dowel, and a quick grip clamp. Replace
the fixed jaw on the clamp with the wood block which has the dowel
inserted at the 15 degree angle. The result is a faster and easier to
operate device than the Rockler one. Much cheaper too.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I have to say, if they are making money at $10, regular price at $12 is
not price gouging. They do have insurance, inventory, brick and mortar,
and employees to pay.

Seriously, I highly suspect that at $10 they are still making 500% mark
up and still not price gouging. You don't have to buy it, if it were
something you could not live with out, then maybe price gouging.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 5:26 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

You save $12.00 the regular price is $21.95.

Seriously, I highly suspect that at $10 they are still making 500% mark
up and still not price gouging. You don't have to buy it, if it were
something you could not live with out, then maybe price gouging.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You suck.

For me I have Woodcraft 1 hour away.
HF 1 hour away.

Just can't get there easily.

Rockler doesn't exist for me unless it's online.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 4:26 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Oooooooooooooops Nevermind. Still there is normally remarkably high
mark up on inexpensive products.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 4:36 PM, Rita and Neil Ward wrote:
On 7/31/2012 5:26 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Oops, thank you Rita!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:24:10 PM UTC-7, Artemus wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message ... http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675 If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see if they're running this in-store today. Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp, over all other methods). FWIW ... That link states online only. It seems to me that it would be trivial to make an equivalent device using a block of wood, a dowel, and a quick grip clamp. Replace the fixed jaw on the clamp with the wood block which has the dowel inserted at the 15 degree angle. The result is a faster and easier to operate device than the Rockler one. Much cheaper too. Art

Actually had another thought also. I wonder if it will work well with my machine made pocket holes that are at 10 or 7 degrees?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:01:09 -0500, Swingman wrote:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675
If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might
want to see if they're running this in-store today.

Just another reason why I wish the US border was a little closer.
Anybody seen a supplier for these up in Canada?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 4:24 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675

If you use pocket hole joinery and have a Rockler near you, you might want to see
if they're running this in-store today.

Stopped by and picked one up this morning for 9.99 (already have one without the
quick release and I've taken to using one, along with a vice grip style hand clamp,
over all other methods).

FWIW ...

That link states online only.

As I stated, I picked one up locally for the same price. It was included
in a "one day sale" email flyer from our local Rockler.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

C'mon guys ... the point of the PSA post is the ten buck price point
being a 54% savings off the usual retail of a useful item.

Just holding the damned thing in your hand will convince you that it's
worth ten bucks; and using as I described will convince you that it's
well worth the normal retail price if you do a fair amount of pocket
hole joinery.

As far as making one ... if I had to buy more than a few at retail,
maybe. For ten bucks, no way in hell ...

If there's any doubt, check the prices on a suitable clamp that will
exert the same necessary force, for starters.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:07:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:

C'mon guys ... the point of the PSA post is the ten buck price point
being a 54% savings off the usual retail of a useful item.

Just holding the damned thing in your hand will convince you that it's
worth ten bucks; and using as I described will convince you that it's
well worth the normal retail price if you do a fair amount of pocket
hole joinery.

As far as making one ... if I had to buy more than a few at retail,
maybe. For ten bucks, no way in hell ...

If there's any doubt, check the prices on a suitable clamp that will
exert the same necessary force, for starters.

How about a thank you for the heads up. I ordered 2 online. 60 miles
round trip into Seattle for me so $6.99 shipping is a no brainer. Out
where I live in the foothills every peckerwood tourist drives 10-15
mph under the speed limit so I would just as soon stay off the road.
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 7:32 PM, Mike M wrote:
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

LOL ... precisely!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike M" wrote:

How about a thank you for the heads up. I ordered 2 online. 60
miles
round trip into Seattle for me so $6.99 shipping is a no brainer.
Out
where I live in the foothills every peckerwood tourist drives 10-15
mph under the speed limit so I would just as soon stay off the road.
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

----------------------------
Living 15 miles south of Bum**** has some costs along with the
advantages.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:26:40 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

[...]

Regular price is $22, save $12, guys. And the $22 is gouging, IMnsHO.
Who do they think they are, Veritas? (sorry, Rob, but...)

I'd probably make my own (modify the head on a a quick-release clamp
like this? http://tinyurl.com/c3xjp2k ) vs. buying one at the regular
price.

Seriously, I highly suspect that at $10 they are still making 500% mark
up

Probably so.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/12 7:38 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/31/2012 7:32 PM, Mike M wrote:
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

LOL ... precisely!

I built one and probably posted the pics, but that's when the thing was
like 25 bucks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 8:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/31/12 7:38 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/31/2012 7:32 PM, Mike M wrote:
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

LOL ... precisely!

I built one and probably posted the pics, but that's when the thing was
like 25 bucks.

IRC, it was closer to thirty, around 29.95, when it first came out.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote in
:

How about a thank you for the heads up. I ordered 2 online. 60 miles
round trip into Seattle for me so $6.99 shipping is a no brainer. Out
where I live in the foothills every peckerwood tourist drives 10-15
mph under the speed limit so I would just as soon stay off the road.
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

Mike M

I've been unimpressed by something's pricing and set out to build one of
my own several times. Occasionally, it works great. 30 minutes in the
shop and I've got a new tool/jig/whatever. More often than not, however,
it works out that I spend more time and money trying to copy something
than I would have if I had just bought the thing.

Never going to quit, however. The design part is fun and sometimes the
greater understanding from attempting to build one helps when using the
commercial version.

Still haven't decided if I want to copy the HF 1x30 belt sander to
"improve" it... I have one, but it would be nice to have something that's
easy to change belts on (that'll be the hardest part) and variable speed.
Oh well, I've got other things to do.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 9:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've been unimpressed by something's pricing and set out to build one of
my own several times. Occasionally, it works great. 30 minutes in the
shop and I've got a new tool/jig/whatever. More often than not, however,
it works out that I spend more time and money trying to copy something
than I would have if I had just bought the thing.

Never going to quit, however. The design part is fun and sometimes the
greater understanding from attempting to build one helps when using the
commercial version.

Agreed. But fun often has to take a back seat to meeting a deadline and
paying the bills ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/12 9:24 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/31/2012 8:50 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/31/12 7:38 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/31/2012 7:32 PM, Mike M wrote:
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

LOL ... precisely!

I built one and probably posted the pics, but that's when the thing was
like 25 bucks.

IRC, it was closer to thirty, around 29.95, when it first came out.

I think you're right.... and on sale for 19, maybe.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:38:11 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/31/2012 7:32 PM, Mike M wrote:
I know I could build one but for $9.99 I have to ask why?

LOL ... precisely!

I have enough real projects going that I wish I could solve more of
them by throwing $10 at them.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 8:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

What in the world does Veritas and or Rob have to do with anything???

You might be shocked if you knew how much mark up there is on clothing.

Bottled water??

Those valve stems on you car wheels have at least 1,000 % mark up.

Seriously the amount of profit made on a product has absolutely no
effect on whether you should buy it or not. Can you afford it or not?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/12 7:06 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

It always cracks me up when someone says, "It probably only costs them
$X to make that and they're ripping us off by selling it for $XX!"

Since when does how much something costs have anything to do with what
is charged for it? If that clamp cost them more than $2 to make in
China, I'd be surprised. That is irrelevant.

They guy who complains the loudest is usually the one complaining about
a client not wanting to pay what he wants to charge for
woodworking/carpentry. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

They guy who complains the loudest is usually the one complaining
about a client not wanting to pay what he wants to charge for
woodworking/carpentry. :-)

Preach it brother! They are also the ones to talk about how much "they" are
worth - for whatever reason they feel is important. The ones who are always
"unique"...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2012 10:39 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/31/2012 9:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've been unimpressed by something's pricing and set out to build one of
my own several times. Occasionally, it works great. 30 minutes in the
shop and I've got a new tool/jig/whatever. More often than not, however,
it works out that I spend more time and money trying to copy something
than I would have if I had just bought the thing.

Never going to quit, however. The design part is fun and sometimes the
greater understanding from attempting to build one helps when using the
commercial version.

Agreed. But fun often has to take a back seat to meeting a deadline and
paying the bills ...

Agreed on both accounts.

Now does anyone know what issue the box joint jig that they sell plans
to on the woodsmith site came from. The jig plans/parts have been out of
stock... been so for a long time, maybe time to see if I can get a back
issue to get the plan.

Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been able
to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming and
going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels wierd.
It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not feeling
confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used to this new
feeling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:

Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been
able to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming
and going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels
wierd. It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not
feeling confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used
to this new feeling.

Alright - I have never had caterac surgery, so I have to speak from a
platform of profound wisdom, instead of one from experience. That said - it
is really clear to me that like any other surgical procedure, the
therapeutic efforts after the fact have as much impact as the surgery
itself. So - I'll ask you - how many boobs are you looking at? Remember -
exercise is important! Are you merely taking passing glances, or are you
really working those eyes? Remember too, to work beyond your natural level
of comfort. In the words of that famous philosopher, Mick Jagger - "Too
much is never enough...". My recommendation is for you to get out there and
get that therapeutic excercise - it's required!

You are welcome! It's just the kind of thing that friends do for each
other...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

[...]

BTW - nor have I ever had cataract surgery...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2012 11:44 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:

Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been
able to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming
and going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels
wierd. It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not
feeling confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used
to this new feeling.

Alright - I have never had caterac surgery, so I have to speak from a
platform of profound wisdom, instead of one from experience. That said - it
is really clear to me that like any other surgical procedure, the
therapeutic efforts after the fact have as much impact as the surgery
itself. So - I'll ask you - how many boobs are you looking at?

Well if you were in front of me I would be looking at one boob.. :-0

Remember -
exercise is important! Are you merely taking passing glances, or are you
really working those eyes? Remember too, to work beyond your natural level
of comfort. In the words of that famous philosopher, Mick Jagger - "Too
much is never enough...". My recommendation is for you to get out there and
get that therapeutic excercise - it's required!

You are welcome! It's just the kind of thing that friends do for each
other...

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:

Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been
able to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming
and going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels
wierd. It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not
feeling confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used
to this new feeling.

Alright - I have never had caterac surgery, so I have to speak from a
platform of profound wisdom, instead of one from experience. That
said - it is really clear to me that like any other surgical
procedure, the therapeutic efforts after the fact have as much
impact as the surgery itself. So - I'll ask you - how many boobs
are you looking at?

Well if you were in front of me I would be looking at one boob.. :-0

Ohhhhhhhh... I predict a long recovery for you...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 07:06:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

Afford?

Which do you want more, the widget or the money? That's the definition of
"worth". Both the purchaser and the seller agree on the "worth" and are happy
with the transaction (or it doesn't occur).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/12 1:29 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
Swingman wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30675

Had me excited for a moment; I thought it was a jig. Turns out
that it's a clamp, and I'm not sure what it can do that my
existing pipe clamps can't do.

It self-aligns and holds the seem together without letting it slip
horizontally, much better than a pipe clamp. It also (especially with
the slip-nut upgrade) is much, much quicker than a pipe wrench. This
isn't a big deal if you have 4 pocket screws to drive, but if you have
25, 50, 250 and a deadline, this tool is invaluable and certainly *well*
worth ten bucks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:

Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been
able to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming
and going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels
wierd. It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not
feeling confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used
to this new feeling.

Alright - I have never had caterac surgery, so I have to speak from a
platform of profound wisdom, instead of one from experience. That
said - it is really clear to me that like any other surgical
procedure, the therapeutic efforts after the fact have as much
impact as the surgery itself. So - I'll ask you - how many boobs
are you looking at?

Well if you were in front of me I would be looking at one boob.. :-0

Ohhhhhhhh... I predict a long recovery for you...

Well when you open the door...

Or stick your foot in your mouth...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2012 10:33 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

Cataract surgery went well yesterday, seeing things I haven't been able
to see in a long time. But I am having some wierd vision coming and
going, but also some peripheral that I am not used to. Feels wierd.
It'll be a few days before I get in front of a saw.. Just not feeling
confident yet. I'd like to get my vision stabilized or used to this new
feeling.

That's great news ... took me awhile just to get used to trifocals, so I
can imagine the feeling.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message ...

It seems to me that it would be trivial to make an equivalent device
using a block of wood, a dowel, and a quick grip clamp. Replace
the fixed jaw on the clamp with the wood block which has the dowel
inserted at the 15 degree angle. The result is a faster and easier to
operate device than the Rockler one. Much cheaper too.
Art

In spite of the opinions to the contrary I knocked this one out in
about half an hour, including head scratching (design) time. It isn't
the prettiest thing but it works well and goes on or off the clamp in
a minute or two. Making 4 more would probably take less than an
hour.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6774349...7630862306460/
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/12 8:49 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Artemus" wrote in message ...

It seems to me that it would be trivial to make an equivalent device
using a block of wood, a dowel, and a quick grip clamp. Replace
the fixed jaw on the clamp with the wood block which has the dowel
inserted at the 15 degree angle. The result is a faster and easier to
operate device than the Rockler one. Much cheaper too.
Art

In spite of the opinions to the contrary I knocked this one out in
about half an hour, including head scratching (design) time. It isn't
the prettiest thing but it works well and goes on or off the clamp in
a minute or two. Making 4 more would probably take less than an
hour.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6774349...7630862306460/
Art

Make the piece on the right longer so that both piece being screwed
together are sitting on that same piece and it'll do what the Rockler
does.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Rob Lee, not Robatoy, silly.

You might be shocked if you knew how much mark up there is on clothing.

Bottled water??

Those valve stems on you car wheels have at least 1,000 % mark up.

Seriously the amount of profit made on a product has absolutely no
effect on whether you should buy it or not. Can you afford it or not?

I make a concerted effort NOT to reward the folks who make windfall
profits on anything they sell, from gum on up to vehicles and homes.

Speaking of valve stems, I was starting to mow when I turned a corner
and the tractor didn't follow the steering wheel. Just about that time
I saw the left front tire come off the outside bead of the rim. sigh
It took me about ten minutes to go get the jack, a piece of rope, a
stick, fill the pig tank, grab a chuck and the valve stem key, and
hogtie the thing back into fullness of air. 5 minutes later, after
everything was ut away, I continued my mowing. Things ran a whole lot
smoother after that.