Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I have a chance to buy a 50 TV for 200 bucks

My niece says a friend needs the money. My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/16/2011 07:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece says a friend needs the money. My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

if it's not HD, it's not worth $200 anymore. I just gave away a 53"
projector. Didn't want to move the silly heavy thing again. Can buy a
brand new TV that kicks its ass for $500 or less. Can buy something
really nice for under $1K. Old TVs just ain't worth it anymore.

I did keep the DTV converter box though just in case I need it someday.
(friend that took TV has cable but no antenna)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
My niece says a friend needs the money. My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

Each week I see at least one 50", or thereabouts, TV for FREE on Craigslist.

That said, projection TVs are a HUGE piece of furniture and you need a large
room to make them viable. Watching a projection TV in an ordinary room (say
12x12') looks awful.

For ordinary TVs, you should sit 3 to 6 times the screen size away from the
box. For a 50" TV, you should sit no closer than 150" away (twelve feet). Is
your room that big?

Check here for more specs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000021501

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2011 6:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
My niece says a friend needs the money. My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

Run it by the local police station before you pay him.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 8:59*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:27:10 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

- *ask the seller for their Bill of Sell

- ask the local police

- pull teeth from the seller until they confess

I don't know, other than that.

How about typing the make and mode into google. Then
you'll know what it is. If it's an old projection TV, then
maybe it's worth that if it's HD and in still in good shape.
If it's a plasma or LCD, then it must be hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
My niece says a friend needs the money. My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

Is this a fairly new flat screen? If so, it is worth the money if not a
stolen set. Check to see if they have the original receipt or at least the
manual. If it is a projection TV, they could not pay me $200 to take it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

- ask the seller for their Bill of Sell

- ask the local police

- pull teeth from the seller until they confess

I don't know, other than that.

About 35 years I was mowing my lawn with the reel mower.
A guy stops his car in the street and approaches me.
Tells me he just bought a gas mower and is going over to a friend's
to give him his electric mower. But the friend was just going to pull
the motor for some other use, and not pay him anything.
He'd rather see the electric mower put to its intended use and make a
few bucks.
I didn't really believe a word he said, but the story was good enough
to get me to the trunk of his car.
I gave him 20 or 40 for the mower, a lightly used Sunbeam, and used it
for many years.
To make myself feel better, I didn't repaint it.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:35:43 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:
My niece says a friend needs the money. My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

Each week I see at least one 50", or thereabouts, TV for FREE on Craigslist.

That said, projection TVs are a HUGE piece of furniture and you need a large
room to make them viable. Watching a projection TV in an ordinary room (say
12x12') looks awful.

For ordinary TVs, you should sit 3 to 6 times the screen size away from the
box. For a 50" TV, you should sit no closer than 150" away (twelve feet). Is
your room that big?

What if you put your tv in your neighbor's house, facing the window,
and he did the same with you.

Then you woudln't need a big room.

Check here for more specs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000021501

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

- ask the seller for their Bill of Sell

- ask the local police

- pull teeth from the seller until they confess

I don't know, other than that.

Where do you live, Mayberry? Around these parts, the cops barely pretend
to be interested in stolen property, beyond providing a report number
for the insurance. And I notice the Really Nice Stuff (bikes,
electronics, weapons, etc) never seems to make it to the public auction.
I know the crooks don't just steal crap, so it is going somewhere.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

For ordinary TVs, you should sit 3 to 6 times the screen size away from
the
box. For a 50" TV, you should sit no closer than 150" away (twelve feet).
Is
your room that big?

I think the rules have changed a bit for flat screens. There is a limit as
to how much the eye can see so getting two feet from a big screen is silly,
but you can still see it clearly. The old CRT with 525 lines could not be
viewed close because all you'd see are the lines. HD cured that.

I also read that once you decide what size TV you want, buy the next size
bigger. Most buyers thought they should have done that after getting their
TV home. I agree and did that. I was set on a 42", but my wife like the
47" better. I'm glad we did go bigger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in
:

My niece says a friend needs the money. My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

ask for proof of original purchase,or the operators manual that's supplied
with every TV,any sort of documentation that would come with a new TV.
No stolen TV seller will have the operators manual.

Does the TV come with it's matching remote,just a generic remote,or none?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 7:33*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 06/16/2011 07:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

My niece says a friend needs the money. *My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

if it's not HD, it's not worth $200 anymore. *I just gave away a 53"
projector. *Didn't want to move the silly heavy thing again. *Can buy a
brand new TV that kicks its ass for $500 or less. *Can buy something
really nice for under $1K. *Old TVs just ain't worth it anymore.

I did keep the DTV converter box though just in case I need it someday.
* (friend that took TV has cable but no antenna)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

"Old TVs just ain't worth it anymore"

I don't know...

The $15 garage sale 19" "almost-had-tubes" model that I had in my
basement died after many years of faithful service.

I looked on Craigs list and found a 21" flat screen Sony for $40
dollars. I planned to offer the guy $30, but when I went over to look
at it, I found a young-20's couple sitting on the floor of their
apartment making up the name cards for their upcoming wedding. They
certainly didn't look rich, so I considered the extra 10 bucks to be a
wedding gift and gave him the full $40.

I figured any guy that was stuck tying ribbons around little packages
of almonds on a Satruday afternoon deserved the cash.

Anyway, the "old TV" is in great shape and well worth the $40, at
least to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 9:03*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
Metspitzer wrote :

My niece says a friend needs the money. *My Google searches didn't
turn up anything that seemed reliable.

How do you find out if the TV is legit?

ask for proof of original purchase,or the operators manual that's supplied
with every TV,any sort of documentation that would come with a new TV.
No stolen TV seller will have the operators manual.

Does the TV come with it's matching remote,just a generic remote,or none?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

"No stolen TV seller will have the operators manual."

That depends on where it was stolen from.

Items stolen off the truck or out of the warehouse, etc. would still
be in original box with all the original paperwork.

DAMHIKT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2011 2:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
(snip)
I looked on Craigs list and found a 21" flat screen Sony for $40
dollars. I planned to offer the guy $30, but when I went over to look
at it, I found a young-20's couple sitting on the floor of their
apartment making up the name cards for their upcoming wedding. They
certainly didn't look rich, so I considered the extra 10 bucks to be a
wedding gift and gave him the full $40.

I figured any guy that was stuck tying ribbons around little packages
of almonds on a Satruday afternoon deserved the cash.

Anyway, the "old TV" is in great shape and well worth the $40, at
least to me.

I hear ya on that. TV I am listening to (and maybe glancing at once in a
while) right now is a 27" glass Sony I bought for $100 bucks a couple of
years ago, off CL. I'm too cheap to go HD till all my glass TVs die, and
as well as the Sonys are holding up, that may be awhile.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 6:37*pm, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

I've currently got a 42" HD, a 19" glass, a 21" glass, four 13" glass,
and 2 computers with TV cards in them.

There's a 13" in the garage and in my workshop.

Only rooms without a TV are the bathrooms and the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2011 9:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 17, 6:37 pm, wrote:
[...]

Similar situation here- 1 27" tv in this living room, a 27" and a 19" in
the other one (19 hooked to converter box and tripod-mounted antenna,
for when satt dish is acting up), 1 14" in kitchen, 1 trashpicked 13"
in each of 3 bedrooms (seldom used), and a junk 13?" one in basement in
case I ever get off my ass and sort out the mess down there and set up a
workbench. 8 altogether?

But at least I have the excuse that I live alone.

Oops- forgot the little 8-inch HD flatscreen I bought for road trips to
relatives who are too snooty to watch TV, so I can at least watch the
late news after they go to bed. (They don't like microwaves either, so
if I want a cup of tea, I have to fire up the damn stove. Told them I'm
gonna bolt a locked steel box to the wall of their storage room in
basement, and fill it with the stuff I need when I visit....)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote
I've currently got a 42" HD, a 19" glass, a 21" glass, four 13" glass,
and 2 computers with TV cards in them.

There's a 13" in the garage and in my workshop.

Only rooms without a TV are the bathrooms and the kitchen.

Gosh, I feel inadequate with five sets. Family room, office, bedroom, sewing
room, grandson's bedroom. 3 flat, 47, 32, 32 2 glass, 19, 19

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/17/2011 02:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 7:33 pm, Nate wrote:
[...]

anything that has a CRT is old tech at this point. A brand new TV, at
least 720p, comparable to the 21" you bought used, can be found for
around $100 if you wait for a sale. (a good one that can also be used
as a computer monitor - I have a 25" one - which is probably roughly
equivalent, because it's 16:9 not 4:3 - and mine cost me under $300 w/
shipping from Newegg)

I'm a cheap *******, and HATE buying new stuff, but since the
introduction of HD broadcast DTV I gladly gave away all my old TVs. I
was a late adopter but once I fired up my first HDTV there was no going
back. (now my roommate is giving me crap because I haven't bought a big
screen to replace the projector yet, but I figure it'd probably be a
good idea to wait until the house sells and I have disposable income
again... just sayin')

Plus, the new ones are much smaller and lighter than an old CRT... MUCH...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 8:16*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've currently got a 42" HD, a 19" glass, a 21" glass, four 13" glass,
and 2 computers with TV cards in them.

There's a 13" in the garage and in my workshop.

Only rooms without a TV are the bathrooms and the kitchen.

"Glass" could mean "plasma" and CRT is less letters!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 7:33 pm, Nate *wrote:
[...]

Why do I care how much my TV weighs? I had no problem loading my $40
TV in and out of my car and putting it where I wanted it. Until I
decide to move it, and I can't see that happening anytime soon, the
extra weight means nothing.

If I was carrying this TV in and out of the house (like when I take my
garage 13" into the backyard) then size and weight would be a factor.
For a stationary TV it's a non-issue.

The $40 TV was for the basement and will never be used as a monitor,
so that feature doesn't enter into this discussion.

This TV is attached to basic cable. If the picture quality of a 720p
TV on basic cable is anything like my HD TV on non-HD stations, I'll
stick with a CRT. The shows I like to watch aren't on HD-DTV, so
that's no help.

The key factor here is that all of my CRT TV's are for "distraction"
while working in the garage, doing laundry, getting dressed for work,
etc. and for watching things like sports without being limited to one
room. For dedicated "I'm going to sit down and watch TV" viewing, I
have my HD-TV in the living room.

I can't justify $100 for that type of use when $40 TV's are readily
available.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 05:50:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Why do I care how much my TV weighs? I had no problem loading my $40
TV in and out of my car and putting it where I wanted it. Until I
decide to move it, and I can't see that happening anytime soon, the
extra weight means nothing.

Greater weight is an advantage. It holds your table, floor, and house
in place.

If I was carrying this TV in and out of the house (like when I take my
garage 13" into the backyard) then size and weight would be a factor.
For a stationary TV it's a non-issue.

The $40 TV was for the basement and will never be used as a monitor,
so that feature doesn't enter into this discussion.

This TV is attached to basic cable. If the picture quality of a 720p
TV on basic cable is anything like my HD TV on non-HD stations, I'll
stick with a CRT. The shows I like to watch aren't on HD-DTV, so
that's no help.

The key factor here is that all of my CRT TV's are for "distraction"
while working in the garage, doing laundry, getting dressed for work,

I only look at the screen enought to keep track of who's who. I'm
either on the computer and the tv is to my left, I'm working at my
bench and have to look up, or I'm eating and reading the newspaper and
have to look up. If it's Law & Order or Monk or Highway Patrol, I pay
attention. They have a lot of plot.

etc. and for watching things like sports without being limited to one
room. For dedicated "I'm going to sit down and watch TV" viewing, I
have my HD-TV in the living room.

I can't justify $100 for that type of use when $40 TV's are readily
available.

I haven't gotten past yard sales and trash tv's yet. But they
outlawed throwing tv's in the trash, so I may have to go as high as
$40, myself, after my current and spare tv's break.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 5:43*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Jun 17, 8:16*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've currently got a 42" HD, a 19" glass, a 21" glass, four 13" glass,
and 2 computers with TV cards in them.

There's a 13" in the garage and in my workshop.

Only rooms without a TV are the bathrooms and the kitchen.

"Glass" could mean "plasma" and CRT is less letters!?

FEWER letters. FEWER for count nouns, ex: letters; LESS for non-count
nouns, ex:sugar.

Grammar Police aka HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/2011 4:19 PM, mm wrote:
(snip

I only look at the screen enought to keep track of who's who. I'm
either on the computer and the tv is to my left, I'm working at my
bench and have to look up, or I'm eating and reading the newspaper and
have to look up. If it's Law& Order or Monk or Highway Patrol, I pay
attention. They have a lot of plot.

(snip)

I haven't gotten past yard sales and trash tv's yet. But they
outlawed throwing tv's in the trash, so I may have to go as high as
$40, myself, after my current and spare tv's break.

Other than perhaps the program choices, get outa my head. I could have
written the above.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jun 18, 5:43 am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Jun 17, 8:16 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've currently got a 42" HD, a 19" glass, a 21" glass, four 13" glass,
and 2 computers with TV cards in them.

There's a 13" in the garage and in my workshop.

Only rooms without a TV are the bathrooms and the kitchen.

"Glass" could mean "plasma" and CRT is less letters!?

FEWER letters. FEWER for count nouns, ex: letters; LESS for non-count
nouns, ex:sugar.

Grammar Police aka HB

Ain't that the truth. You gotta hold the shift key two for CRT, knot for
glass