Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I have a chance to buy a 50 TV for 200 bucks

Metspitzer wrote:

For ordinary TVs, you should sit 3 to 6 times the screen size away from
the
box. For a 50" TV, you should sit no closer than 150" away (twelve feet).
Is
your room that big?

I think the rules have changed a bit for flat screens. There is a limit as
to how much the eye can see so getting two feet from a big screen is silly,
but you can still see it clearly. The old CRT with 525 lines could not be
viewed close because all you'd see are the lines. HD cured that.

I also read that once you decide what size TV you want, buy the next size
bigger. Most buyers thought they should have done that after getting their
TV home. I agree and did that. I was set on a 42", but my wife like the
47" better. I'm glad we did go bigger.