Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Frieght now charging a restocking fee.

Holly ****.

I went to HF today to get a fountain pump for my sink that I had set up.
They had a sale on them and a new one opened this week less than 40
minutes away. That's a 20 minute savings for me.

Well after she rung up the fountain pump she tells me there is a
restocking fee if I wish to return it. I'm like get out of here,
(remember she already rung it up). Well if it's defective and you
exchange it, or you upgrade there won't be a charge the manager says,
but if you don't like it HF is now charging a restocking fee on many items.

Guess what the pump didn't live up to it's specification. it was rated
at 158gph with a 3.6 foot rise. It only trickled at 30 inches... So it
is going back for a bigger one... But things are so hit and miss with
HF, that I'll be more reluctant to spend money there if they are going
to charge me if it isn't good enough.

You?
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

How many of their customers might buy a tool there for 1 job and then
return it? I'd be quite surprised if the manager charged you a
restocking fee on your pump. It's hard to blame HF for trying to come
up with a strategy to dry to deal with the expenses incurred by the
former types of customers. The policy gives them something to point
to--no one says they have to apply it in every situation (I think).
I'm not a lawyer. I would guess that in general, the percentage of
unreasonable customers in retail is greater than the percentage of
unreasonable managers.

I really like their Pittsburg bar F-clamps (the ones with metal frames),
and work gloves, and have even had good luck with their batteries as
well as a bird bath. I don't think HF would be my first stop for a
motorized pump. YMMV. Good luck!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 6:33*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
[...]

I am not the biggest fan of HF but I do buy some expendables and tools
from them from time to time. I am a little surprised by this because
I have had pretty good luck with their customer service.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/12 6:33 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

If that is their new policy, it will certainly affect my buying, as well.
Like you said, they are too hit & miss to not be concerned with it.
However, most of their stuff is *still* so cheap that it won't be a
concern to me for a lot of their stuff.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default NOPE: Harbor Frieght now charging a restocking fee.

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

From their web site:

"90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee: Items are guaranteed to be as described and
illustrated. If for any reason you are not satisfied with any item
purchased, you may return the insured product within 90 days for a full
refund or replacement, whichever you prefer."

And:

"Limited Lifetime Warranty on Hand Tools: Harbor Freight Tools makes every
effort to ensure that our products meet high quality and durability
standards and warrants to the original purchaser that eligible products are
free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product."

But:

"Generators and other specific items are subject to a 20% restocking fee"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Generators and other specific items are subject to a 20% restocking fee"

Makes a lot of sense as items like that are the most likely to be returned.
Why rent a tool when you can buy it, use it, then return it and spread that
cost over the rest of the customers?

Many retailers are making changes in the return polices. Clothing stores
get hit with prom dresses and the like.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, don't you think you should find out what requires a restocking fee
before you buy.

They only know when they ring it up.
And finally... if the pump doesn't live up to expectation and there is
no upgrade, why should I pay???

This is a fountain pump, not a pump to get rid of water in your basement.

So I think they ought to start marking which items are restocking on the
shelves. I would still buy that item (bigger), but I don't think it's
fair to let you know after you have bought it.

On 6/6/2012 10:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

"Generators and other specific items are subject to a 20% restocking fee"

Makes a lot of sense as items like that are the most likely to be returned.
Why rent a tool when you can buy it, use it, then return it and spread that
cost over the rest of the customers?

Many retailers are making changes in the return polices. Clothing stores
get hit with prom dresses and the like.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/6/2012 12:26 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

So I think they ought to start marking which items are restocking on the
shelves. I would still buy that item (bigger), but I don't think it's
fair to let you know after you have bought it.

Seems only fair, agreed.

But, just because they've "rung it up" doesn't mean I've yet paid 'em
(or will if they spring something on me that hasn't been up front in the
deal to that point). I've walked away from things at the checkout on
more than one occasion over something even if not very frequently.

Particularly at HF or others of their ilk where the quality is often
dubious at best, if the potential is more than what would care to lose
I'd surely not hesitate to "leave 'em in the lurch", so to speak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:26:18 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Well, don't you think you should find out what requires a restocking fee
before you buy.

They only know when they ring it up.
And finally... if the pump doesn't live up to expectation and there is
no upgrade, why should I pay???

"Ring it up" does not mean you bought it. You have the option of
removing that item or voiding the sale and starting over with the
other items. Minor inconvenience.

If the pump does not meet specifications, they should take it back.
Note: I said specifications, not expectations. Specifications are
easily measured, but you may have expectations that a 12 ounce hammer
on sale is going to work in knocking down that concrete block wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Specs... 3.6 feet of lift and 158gph

Lift 30 inches to a trickle.

It didn't make 36 inches, just 30.. so expecting 43 inches based on
spec.. and getting 30... it didn't make it.

As far as the checkout. deciding while things are being rung up whether
you want to pay a restocking fee if you return it is unfair.

wrote:

Well, don't you think you should find out what requires a restocking fee
before you buy.

They only know when they ring it up.
And finally... if the pump doesn't live up to expectation and there is
no upgrade, why should I pay???

"Ring it up" does not mean you bought it. You have the option of
removing that item or voiding the sale and starting over with the
other items. Minor inconvenience.

If the pump does not meet specifications, they should take it back.
Note: I said specifications, not expectations. Specifications are
easily measured, but you may have expectations that a 12 ounce hammer
on sale is going to work in knocking down that concrete block wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 22:11:39 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Specs... 3.6 feet of lift and 158gph

Lift 30 inches to a trickle.

It didn't make 36 inches, just 30.. so expecting 43 inches based on
spec.. and getting 30... it didn't make it.

In that case, it should be returnable.

As far as the checkout. deciding while things are being rung up whether
you want to pay a restocking fee if you return it is unfair.

Perhaps some things should be marked at the POS, but it was brought to
your attention. If that is the hardest decision you have to make in
life, then life is good.

Similar pumps at Lowes are much more costly. A Tetra is about $25, a
Smartpond with auto shutoff if water is low runs about $40 and is
suppose to stream 4.1 ft.

The HF pump is listed at $9 on sale. It would cost me $12 in gas to
return it. I hope you live closer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
Specs... 3.6 feet of lift and 158gph

Lift 30 inches to a trickle.

It didn't make 36 inches, just 30.. so expecting 43 inches based on
spec.. and getting 30... it didn't make it.

As far as the checkout. deciding while things are being rung up whether
you want to pay a restocking fee if you return it is unfair.

As several of us have mentioned, since the unit is apparently not up to
specs, we don't expect them to charge you a restocking fee.
Best of luck finding a suitable pump!

Bill

wrote:

Well, don't you think you should find out what requires a restocking fee
before you buy.

They only know when they ring it up.
And finally... if the pump doesn't live up to expectation and there is
no upgrade, why should I pay???

"Ring it up" does not mean you bought it. You have the option of
removing that item or voiding the sale and starting over with the
other items. Minor inconvenience.

If the pump does not meet specifications, they should take it back.
Note: I said specifications, not expectations. Specifications are
easily measured, but you may have expectations that a 12 ounce hammer
on sale is going to work in knocking down that concrete block wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2012 9:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Specs... 3.6 feet of lift and 158gph

Lift 30 inches to a trickle.

It didn't make 36 inches, just 30.. so expecting 43 inches based on
spec.. and getting 30... it didn't make it.

As far as the checkout. deciding while things are being rung up whether
you want to pay a restocking fee if you return it is unfair.

On 6/6/2012 5:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:26:18 -0400, tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Its Harbor Freight! :~)

Do not expect anything more than half of what is stated on any out put
or capacity. If it performs better than that consider yourself lucky.

It's Harbor Freight! :~)

If their stuff was on par with like items from more mainstream retail
stores they would not need an restocking charge.

It's Harbor Freight! ;~)

Assume everything that you buy there will have a restocking charge as if
it does not now it probably will in the future. ;~)

It's Harbor Freight! ;~)

You pay less, you get less.

It's harbor Freight! :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2012 7:30 AM, Leon wrote:

Its Harbor Freight! :~)

Do not expect anything more than half of what is stated on any out put
or capacity. If it performs better than that consider yourself lucky.

It's Harbor Freight! :~)

If their stuff was on par with like items from more mainstream retail
stores they would not need an restocking charge.

It's Harbor Freight! ;~)

Assume everything that you buy there will have a restocking charge as if
it does not now it probably will in the future. ;~)

It's Harbor Freight! ;~)

You pay less, you get less.

It's harbor Freight! :~)

Harbor Freight... the world leader in disposable tools. Unfortunately,
many need to be disposed of before use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 07:30:16 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/6/2012 9:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Specs... 3.6 feet of lift and 158gph

Lift 30 inches to a trickle.

It didn't make 36 inches, just 30.. so expecting 43 inches based on
spec.. and getting 30... it didn't make it.

As far as the checkout. deciding while things are being rung up whether
you want to pay a restocking fee if you return it is unfair.

Probably, but it may be based on people using the tool once
(successfully completing their project) and then returning it, as
happens in HD and Blowes, too.

I bought and used their 1hp pump for flood irrigation for a year. It
worked to a height of 6' no problem. Another client had a pond with
fountain and the same model pump was nearly 12' down the slope from
the fountain, and it still worked for her. I have no idea how close
it came to volume specs, but I saw it work. I primed it and unstuck
the rotor and it fired right off. It was over 5 years old, too,
protected by a wooden box in the winter.

I don't see it in their current lineup, but I'll get the number off
the pump if you like.

wrote:

Its Harbor Freight! :~)

Do not expect anything more than half of what is stated on any out put
or capacity. If it performs better than that consider yourself lucky.

It's Harbor Freight! :~)

If their stuff was on par with like items from more mainstream retail
stores they would not need an restocking charge.

It's Harbor Freight! ;~)

Assume everything that you buy there will have a restocking charge as if
it does not now it probably will in the future. ;~)

It's Harbor Freight! ;~)

You pay less, you get less.

It's harbor Freight! :~)

The vast majority of HF tools work just fine, Leon. If you weren't
such a Festool bigot you'd see that. HF is not made for production
work, but for occasional work, they do perform. They're not as slick
as Festool, Fein, and other top brands, but they're TEN TIMES less
expensive, too. That counts to us po folks. I've found them to be a
very good value for the most part.

Yes, they also have a line of cheaparse ****, but I've learned to
check out a tool before I buy it. Because of that, I've only had to
return maybe a dozen of their tools over the past 40 years I've been
shopping their store. I'm still beating the **** out of the 5"
mechanic's vise I bought there in the early 1970s.

Delta, Milwaukee, and even Makita all have tools made in China these
days. Perhaps even Festool will go there soon. gd&r

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Don't get your panties in a wad Larry. It's Harbor Freight!
Yes there are items that they sell that are worth every penny that you
spend on them. That $9, "insert power tool item of your choice", is
worth $9. I did not say otherwise nor did I say that none of their stuff
is of any value. I simply indicated what to expect. And as you
pointed out, they are certainly not Festool or Fein in quality. But as
many have posted here many of the items and policies are less than
expected, plain and simple. My post was to simply point out that the
store is Harbor Freight. If you are expecting quality and or service
that can't be beat you are going to be disappointed.

Concerning you comment about their stuff is not made for production
work, I would think that a "fountain pump" would be run on a somewhat
similar basis as a production work tool, more than a few minutes at a
time.

Yes, they also have a line of cheaparse ****, but I've learned to
check out a tool before I buy it. Because of that, I've only had to
return maybe a dozen of their tools over the past 40 years I've been
shopping their store. I'm still beating the **** out of the 5"
mechanic's vise I bought there in the early 1970s.

I don't have the time or patience to deal with inferior tools, been
there done that.

Delta, Milwaukee, and even Makita all have tools made in China these
days. Perhaps even Festool will go there soon.gd&r

But you don't find them in HF. What is your point? I am absolutely not
saying anything derogatory about country of origin, only the type and
quality of tools that Harbor Freight specializes in selling. Its pretty
much bottom end of everything that you could buy. Bottom end may work
if you don't expect or need much.

Keep your expectations in the Harbor Freight mode and you will probably
be happy. If you are continually becoming more dissatisfied with the
service or merchandise, which is what most of this thread is about, you
need to set your sights a bit higher. After all, It's Harbor Freight!

And yes I do own some HF tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You pay less, you get less.

It's harbor Freight! :~)

No, you pay less and get more! For example, a pack of ten foam brushes is
$0.98 vs. ninety-eight cents for ONE brush at Home Depot!

That's, uh, (mumble, mumble, carry-the-three), ah, TEN TIMES as much for the
same price!

Whata deal!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bessey is now making some of their clamps in China.
I bought a C clamp made in china (Bessey quick release) The same is 1/4
the price at HF... Same ...same .. same.

I bought the HF too, just as good. Took them both apart.. same...same..
same..

Just because it's a name doesn't make it better.

But many names are much better. You just have to analyze it.
I needed a hand grinder for welding. I don't weld that often. I picked
up a HF grinder for $9.99... opened it up, repacked the gear box and it
is awesome for $9.99... I have used it way more than I ever thought I would.

I don't deny that there is a lot of stuff at HF that I would never buy.
But there is a world of stuff there that is equal to name brand stuff.
Sometimes there are inferior parts, sometimes not.

And like you said for us PO folk, or just spend thrifts there are good
bargains. Like their nitrile gloves. I boxes at half or less than other
stores.

Delta, Milwaukee, and even Makita all have tools made in China these
days. Perhaps even Festool will go there soon.gd&r

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2012 11:01 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Leon wrote:

You pay less, you get less.

It's harbor Freight! :~)

No, you pay less and get more! For example, a pack of ten foam brushes is
$0.98 vs. ninety-eight cents for ONE brush at Home Depot!

That's, uh, (mumble, mumble, carry-the-three), ah, TEN TIMES as much for the
same price!

Whata deal!

Place the foam brush in in thinner to clean it. I can clean my $4 Lowes
Wooster foam brush in thinner and use multiple times and with a ferrel
nothing run down my arm out of the brush.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:53:13 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Keep your expectations in the Harbor Freight mode and you will probably
be happy. If you are continually becoming more dissatisfied with the
service or merchandise, which is what most of this thread is about, you
need to set your sights a bit higher. After all, It's Harbor Freight!

No Harbor Freights up here in Canada, but our Princess Auto will
substitute nicely for them. And, there are those occasions when a
disposable tool does serve a purpose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2012 12:50 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:53:13 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
Keep your expectations in the Harbor Freight mode and you will probably
be happy. If you are continually becoming more dissatisfied with the
service or merchandise, which is what most of this thread is about, you
need to set your sights a bit higher. After all, It's Harbor Freight!

No Harbor Freights up here in Canada, but our Princess Auto will
substitute nicely for them. And, there are those occasions when a
disposable tool does serve a purpose.

I don't dispute that HF has it's purpose but OP is complaining. I was
simply pointing out that it is Harbor Freight. You don't get a bunch of
frills in that store.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/12 9:11 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Specs... 3.6 feet of lift and 158gph

Lift 30 inches to a trickle.

It didn't make 36 inches, just 30.. so expecting 43 inches based on
spec.. and getting 30... it didn't make it.

As far as the checkout. deciding while things are being rung up whether
you want to pay a restocking fee if you return it is unfair.

You need to get over it or at least get a grip on reality. No manager in
his right mind is going to charge you a restocking fee for something
they just rang up, 15 seconds ago... especially after you tell him you
were not informed about the restocking fee. And even if he still tried
to charge you, all it would take is a call to corporate to clear it up.
Speaking of calls.....

I called my local store and customer service. Apparently, HF has started
charging restocking fees on *SOME* items, starting this month. They are
not charging on *ALL* items and in fact, there are about 140 items that
will have restocking fees. This seems quite reasonable to me, given how
many people treat them as a free rental service on the expensive things
like generators and welders. I'm sure they have other reason, as well.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, why don't they mention the 140 items on the web site.
Or mark them online as restocking fee.

Again, why at the cash register. Seems unfair to tag you there.
I understand why generators and welders might have a restocking fee.
I see people use them and return them...

But there should be some advance notice.

On 6/7/2012 2:43 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/12 2:02 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
So, why don't they mention the 140 items on the web site.
Or mark them online as restocking fee.

No idea. Maybe they will. Especially if enough people whine and b!t@h
about it.
Have you emailed their customer service?

Again, why at the cash register. Seems unfair to tag you there.
I understand why generators and welders might have a restocking fee.
I see people use them and return them...

But there should be some advance notice.

There should. Maybe there was... like a tiny little notice on an ad or
something.
I'm guessing they will institute a policy in which they make sure to
tell people at checkout of the fee on an item that qualifies. I wonder
if they might start printing it on the packages, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not coming to the defense of HF, however, most any pump that is rated
at X gph AND Y inches of lift won't put out X gph AT Y inches of lift. The
gph, unless otherwise stated, is usually a maximum output at minimum lift.
Often the output at 1 foot is used. At higher lifts, or with restrictions in
the inout or output ilines, output drops off. And really, 153 gph, about
2.5 gallons per minute, is not that much volume to start with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2012 2:02 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
So, why don't they mention the 140 items on the web site.
Or mark them online as restocking fee.

Again, why at the cash register. Seems unfair to tag you there.
I understand why generators and welders might have a restocking fee.
I see people use them and return them...

You can simply walk away from the register and leave the store without
paying. Just because your intended purchase is wrung up does not mean
you have to pay if you are not at ease with the conditions.

But there should be some advance notice.

You have now had your advance notice. Be glad they take it back at all,
there is no low that requires any store to refund anything at all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2012 4:17 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/7/2012 2:02 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
So, why don't they mention the 140 items on the web site.
Or mark them online as restocking fee.

Again, why at the cash register. Seems unfair to tag you there.
I understand why generators and welders might have a restocking fee.
I see people use them and return them...

You can simply walk away from the register and leave the store without
paying. Just because your intended purchase is wrung up does not mean
you have to pay if you are not at ease with the conditions.

But there should be some advance notice.

You have now had your advance notice. Be glad they take it back at
all, there is no low that requires any store to refund anything at all.

Unless you agree to a contract that specifically excludes the
warranties, the Uniform Commercial Code imposes warranties of
merchantability, and possibly other warranties as well, on sales of
goods. If the warranty is not met, the seller is liable to the buyer
for the purchase price, and possibly other damages as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote:

Holly ****.

I went to HF today to get a fountain pump for my sink that I had set
up.

snip
Guess what the pump didn't live up to it's specification. it was
rated at 158gph with a 3.6 foot rise. It only trickled at 30
inches...

-----------------------------------
You are at the mercy of the General Energy Equation.

Without a performance curve, (Head Vs Flow), pumps will publish max
head at no flow as well as max flow at zero head.

There ain't no free lunch.

BTW, "Head" = output pressure.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2012 6:24 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 6/7/2012 4:17 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

?? What does a warranty have to do with getting a refund. The seller
can choose to replace or repair the item if the item actually has a
warranty.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:02:24 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

So, why don't they mention the 140 items on the web site.
Or mark them online as restocking fee.

Again, why at the cash register. Seems unfair to tag you there.
I understand why generators and welders might have a restocking fee.
I see people use them and return them...

But there should be some advance notice.

He said they started this month. This month is only 7 day old. Maybe
some of the shelf tags did not get to the stores in time for the
first.

Your point about notification is valid, but give them a few weeks to
see what happens. Just as important, contact them and tell them of
your concerns.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 6/7/2012 12:50 PM, Dave wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:53:13 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
Keep your expectations in the Harbor Freight mode and you will probably
be happy. If you are continually becoming more dissatisfied with the
service or merchandise, which is what most of this thread is about, you
need to set your sights a bit higher. After all, It's Harbor Freight!

No Harbor Freights up here in Canada, but our Princess Auto will
substitute nicely for them. And, there are those occasions when a
disposable tool does serve a purpose.

I don't dispute that HF has it's purpose but OP is complaining. I was
simply pointing out that it is Harbor Freight. You don't get a bunch of
frills in that store.

I can confirm what someone else described, they have more customers per
square foot than anywhere else I shop.

If I pay $6 for 4 pair of work gloves at HF, I don't feel bad about
tossing them out as if I paid $10 a pair at Home Depot. I get a lot of
use out of my 6" Pittsburgh F-clamps I bought from them, for
$1.99-2.99/each I think. I get a lot more use from them then I expected
and would recommend them to anyone who has any clamping needs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You pay less, you get less.

It's harbor Freight! :~)

No, you pay less and get more! For example, a pack of ten foam brushes is
$0.98 vs. ninety-eight cents for ONE brush at Home Depot!

That's, uh, (mumble, mumble, carry-the-three), ah, TEN TIMES as much
for the
same price!

Whata deal!

Place the foam brush in in thinner to clean it. I can clean my $4 Lowes
Wooster foam brush in thinner and use multiple times and with a ferrel
nothing run down my arm out of the brush.

Are you saying the ones from Lowes are a lot better? I actually bought
some from HF to use for glueing. I bought them thinking they were
disposable, but I've washed my first one twice! : ) I noticed on the
bag it says they are for *painting*. Can anyone comment on how well
they work for painting?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

Foam works great for latex paint. HF foam brushes are pretty flimsy
foam, not one of their better values. But for a single touchup, they
work fantastic. You just don't get good mileage (footage) from them.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

There are different quality foam brushes, be advised. A great glue
brush does not necessarily make a great paint brush.

Read the label on the product you are about to use. Does it mention a
foam brush, does it mention a good quality foam brush? Some do, many
don't. I have had great results with a Wooster foam brush using General
Finishes Arm-R-Seal varnish, the foam brush was suggested on the varnish
label. Many foam brushes will melt in paint thinner so those will
certainly degrade when using in an oil based product.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You pay less, you get less.

It's harbor Freight! :~)

No, you pay less and get more! For example, a pack of ten foam
brushes is $0.98 vs. ninety-eight cents for ONE brush at Home Depot!

That's, uh, (mumble, mumble, carry-the-three), ah, TEN TIMES as much
for the same price!

Whata deal!

Place the foam brush in in thinner to clean it. I can clean my $4
Lowes Wooster foam brush in thinner and use multiple times and with a
ferrel nothing run down my arm out of the brush.

What's "multiple times"?

You're gonna make me do more math!

The ten foam brushes from HF cost ten cents each. If you tossed each one
after you used it, you would discard forty of them before you reached the
price of your Wooster.

Now the question is: Can you get forty uses out of your, um, "quality" foam
brush? (Ignoring the cost of the cleaning solvent and your time.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

Apparently you've never tried a Wooster foam brush. They are FAR superior to
any other brand of foam brush, and are worth the money even if you only get 1/4
of the forty uses you mention. Most cheap-ass foam brushes are made of much
coarser foam that limps and sags right off the handle before you can get any
useful work out of them, and they swell up and break down under the effects of
any significant amount of solvent like mineral spirits or alcohol. I even use
(and re-use, many times) Wooster foam brushes to quickly spread glue out over
large surfaces, and they give perfect, uniform results. Try that with your
Harbor Freight cheapie.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

Right. I've never used a Wooster brush. But "results" is a different issue
than cost. I concede that your Wooster brush produces results that are the
envy of all who encounter them.

As for gluing, I don't use a brush. I get the drop or two I need by
squeezing the Elmer's bottle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2012 10:50 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Apparently you've never tried a Wooster foam brush. They are FAR
superior to any other brand of foam brush, and are worth the money even
if you only get 1/4 of the forty uses you mention.

Yeah buddy! ... and a +1.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

Apparently you've never tried a Wooster foam brush. They are FAR
superior to any other brand of foam brush, and are worth the money
even
if you only get 1/4 of the forty uses you mention.

The folks at "The Brush" are like most of the rest of the businesses
in Wooster.

They go first class of stay at home.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

And you probably would not be as satisfied with any of them as you would
be when doing a "fine" finish with a Wooster.