Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Harbor Frieght now charging a restocking fee.

Steve Turner wrote:

Place the foam brush in in thinner to clean it. I can clean my $4
Lowes Wooster foam brush in thinner and use multiple times and with
a ferrel nothing run down my arm out of the brush.

What's "multiple times"?

You're gonna make me do more math!

The ten foam brushes from HF cost ten cents each. If you tossed each
one after you used it, you would discard forty of them before you
reached the price of your Wooster.

Now the question is: Can you get forty uses out of your, um,
"quality" foam brush? (Ignoring the cost of the cleaning solvent and
your time.)

Apparently you've never tried a Wooster foam brush. They are FAR
superior to any other brand of foam brush, and are worth the money
even if you only get 1/4 of the forty uses you mention. Most
cheap-ass foam brushes are made of much coarser foam that limps and
sags right off the handle before you can get any useful work out of
them, and they swell up and break down under the effects of any
significant amount of solvent like mineral spirits or alcohol. I
even use (and re-use, many times) Wooster foam brushes to quickly
spread glue out over large surfaces, and they give perfect, uniform
results. Try that with your Harbor Freight cheapie.

Right. I've never used a Wooster brush. But "results" is a different issue
than cost. I concede that your Wooster brush produces results that are the
envy of all who encounter them.

As for gluing, I don't use a brush. I get the drop or two I need by
squeezing the Elmer's bottle.