Posted to alt.home.repair
chris jung

Default Opinions about Harbor Frieght Trailers?

Hi,
From time to time, we need to haul woodchips, mulch, landscape stone,
furniture/appliances (we have an apartment), construction materials (we will
be building a storage room in our garage and will need to bring home drywall
sheets), taking debris to the landfill, etc. We have a sedan (Oldsmobile
Achieva on it's way out) and a van (Plymouth Grand Voyager). The Van has a
cargo liner in the back (covers the floor and goes up the sides to the back
of the middle bench seat and windows) and can haul modest amounts of stuff
but getting something like woodchips (free for the taking at our town
highway & public services department) is difficult and messy even with the
cargo liner.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get a lightweight utility trailer -
light enough to be pulled by our van (according to the manual it has a
maximum tow rating of 2K but we had a transmission cooler installed when the
transmission was rebuilt last year) - or maybe even by a future car. We
don't need a trailer with a ramp.

I've looked at the trailers on the Harbor Freight web-site (
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A5AC14FFC ). The first three listed (the 1175,
990, 860 capacities ones) seem about right in terms of weight and size and
the price is certainly attractive. Of course we would need to put in decking
& sides. Does anyone have experience or opinions about these trailers? I
see that all of these trailers can be folded but I wonder if anyone really
does that.

While we are planning to use a utility trailer for jobs around town but it's
also possible we'll use it to carry supplies for car camping trips (During
the last camping trip the van was jam-packed with two adults, one 8 year old
boy and two collies plus camping supplies). I know a little about horse
trailers and how dangerous they can be to tow. So I want to only use a
utility trailer for car camping, only if it can be done safely. Would a
trailer like one of these need stabilizing bars or other
additions/accesories for safe highway travel?

And finally does anyone know of other sources of modest-sized utility
trailes?

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

I too use a utility trailer for such chores, we pull with an Explorer. Our
trailer is a 4x8 (not form HF) and can haul 900 lbs. I have no problem
with no stabilizers. As I sit here I am looking at the HF in the flyer, My
opinion would be to buy the one with 12' wheels then weld sides at least 10"
high. Mine has these sides along with a four ft ramp/tailgate and an
expanded metal platform. I have hauled a washer and dryer through NYC all
the way home to PA and never had as much as a flat. Never really felt the
trailer at all. Before buying I would check ALL the welds to be safe. As far
as what I see in the picture it would be a good lightweight hauler, for what
you are lookning, just don't expect too much.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
twfsa

Chris.

I bought a trailer from harbor about 10 years ago, It was shipped in boxes,
I picked up from a trucking company dock. Took it home put it together,
about a 3hr job with out air tools.

I have put a 1" plywood deck on it (presure treated) have used it to haul
almost every thing, from landscape material, hauled my 550 lb mower to the
repair shop, my 8ft fishing boat, when I used to camp, furniture bla bla
bla. Can't put a lot of weight on it, but it has never let me down.

I made side boards for it, wooden ramps, I would be screwed with out this
trailer, the best part is it folds up and stores in the garage, and I don't
have to kiss someones ass, that owns a truck when I need to haul something.
Its easy to fold and un-fold I do it my self, I am no spring chicken.

I pull it with a Honda 2001 CR-V 4 cyl automatic.

Would I buy another is a heart beat!

If I have time this afternoon I will take a picture of it folded up in the
garage and post it.

Tom

"chris jung" wrote in message
Hi,
From time to time, we need to haul woodchips, mulch, landscape stone,
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Philip Lewis

"chris jung" writes:
Would a trailer like one of these need stabilizing bars or other
additions/accesories for safe highway travel?

I bought the 990lbs version of this:
(4x8 bed with 12" wheels) for about the same price.

I tow it behind a 2003 Saturn Vue and a 1999 Saturn LS. (both 6Cyl FWD)
I've not needed any stabilizing bars and i've very likely taken it above
the speed limit.

Came in several boxes, and I put it together myself over a couple
days not working too hard or long. Note that you might need to have it
inspected since it qualifies as a "home built" trailer. (At least I
did in Pennsylvania.) 5 year registration and inspections and such
came to around $100 more than the trailer.... Mods to the vehicle were
probably another $150...keep that in mind if you are budgeting.

I put a OSB 3/4" deck on it (I had it free/handy), but never split the
middle so i can fold it (which would require taking the sides off as
well in any case). Used 2x4 uprights and bracing and a 12" strip of
plywood around the bottom. After a couple years, some parts are
starting to rust, and the OSB probably needs replacing as it's a
little soft in places, but it's been very exposed to the weather.
(I usually tarp it, but the tarp isn't 100% waterproof and if i don't
secure it well, it blows off.)

This spring, i really should do a complete inspection, prep/paint
sandy spots, and build better sides/decking. I'm also considering
getting a spare tire, just in case.

The reason i justified buying it, was a 2 week camping outage we take
every august. (Pennsic War It'll pay for itself (and modifications
to the car to allow it to be hauled) with about 4 years use just for
that. (instead of rental of a truck/trailer.) I've used it for
several friends moves, some theater prop hauling, garden stuff, etc
as a bonus (or curse... depending on how you look at it.

Definitely worth it in my opinion.
Ask away for any other questions.

hope this helps...
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"chris jung" wrote in message
Hi,
From time to time, we need to haul woodchips, mulch, landscape stone,
[...]

Maybe your asking the wrong question. What will it cost to title and plate
your new toy?

Where I live it costs $175 (for ever tags) for anything less than 6000 lb
gvw.
A friend of mine bought one of these. He still has not titled it cause the
legal issues cost more than the trailer.

I looked for a long time and bought a trailer already titled and paid the
transfer fee. WAY less that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harbor freight has stores in some areas. i never got one because for
the few times i need it where will i store it. they appear well made.

i have a minivan so hauling isnt a big issue often

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Here in PA, it costs me 6.00 every 2 years for my tags

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Apr 2006 10:07:53 -0700, "
wrote:

harbor freight has stores in some areas. i never got one because for
the few times i need it where will i store it. they appear well made.

i have a minivan so hauling isnt a big issue often

I'm in sort of that situation. I've never had a garage or a big yard.

Speaking of NYC, twice there I bought a spinet piano and put it on top
of my '67 Pontiac Catalina or '72 Buick Centurion convertible. First
put an old double bed mattress on the trunk and top area, and then the
piano. Not supposed to carry an upright on its side, but I went only
10 or 20 miles an hour.

Now, I have a Lebaron convertible, and I've used the same JCWhitey
trailer hitch for this car and the previous two lebarons. The last
time it took less than an hour to mount, without a lift of even
jacking it up. I have a bracket that goes on the drawbar so I can
carry a ladder from the foam-coverd windshield to the bracket. Also
have a dual bicycle rack that bolts onto the draw bar, and a spare
draw bar connected to a shelf, a cargo-carrier, that goes into the
same hitch receiver. Can't carry the 500 pounds they say it will
hold, can't come close to that, but good for bulky stuff.

I think I could carry a canoe until it started to rain, and then I
would have to redo the whole thing with the top up. If I had a canoe.

I would like to get a harbor trailer, but didn't think about the
licensing problems until you guys brought it up.

For a year or two, a friend has a big van he can't afford to drive,
and bought smaller vans for his business. He said he was keeping the
big one to lend to friends, and for when he moves to a new house. I'm
trying to figure out what I need it for, but haven't thought of
anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

I have the 4x4 model from HF. When not being used it stands on it's tail in
the garage (secured).

Rated at 1000 pound payload, I have hauled 1300 pounds of rock and dirt to
the landfill more than once.

One note you don't back up a trailer with such a short tongue and wheelbase.
At least not more than a few feet.

If I had a place to store a larger better made model I would buy one. For
the 3-5 times per year that I need a little extra space or space to haul
something dirty this does a great job.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Colbyt wrote:
I have the 4x4 model from HF. When not being used it stands on it's tail in
the garage (secured).

Rated at 1000 pound payload, I have hauled 1300 pounds of rock and dirt to
the landfill more than once.

One note you don't back up a trailer with such a short tongue and wheelbase.
At least not more than a few feet.

If I had a place to store a larger better made model I would buy one. For
the 3-5 times per year that I need a little extra space or space to haul
something dirty this does a great job.

Why shouldn't you back it up? I have never heard of such a thing. Yes
its tricky but if you can handle it why not?

FEMA travel trailers and the bigger ones. mm Home Repair 27 February 27th 06 11:02 PM
OT but very important to us all no spam Woodworking 663 July 12th 05 04:12 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Buying a new press brake, opinions? KMC Metalworking 2 August 3rd 04 07:02 PM
Opinions on computer home design software Jeff Home Repair 0 January 16th 04 03:27 AM