Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Frieght now charging a restocking fee.

Holly ****.

I went to HF today to get a fountain pump for my sink that I had set up.
They had a sale on them and a new one opened this week less than 40
minutes away. That's a 20 minute savings for me.

Well after she rung up the fountain pump she tells me there is a
restocking fee if I wish to return it. I'm like get out of here,
(remember she already rung it up). Well if it's defective and you
exchange it, or you upgrade there won't be a charge the manager says,
but if you don't like it HF is now charging a restocking fee on many items.

Guess what the pump didn't live up to it's specification. it was rated
at 158gph with a 3.6 foot rise. It only trickled at 30 inches... So it
is going back for a bigger one... But things are so hit and miss with
HF, that I'll be more reluctant to spend money there if they are going
to charge me if it isn't good enough.

You?
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

How many of their customers might buy a tool there for 1 job and then
return it? I'd be quite surprised if the manager charged you a
restocking fee on your pump. It's hard to blame HF for trying to come
up with a strategy to dry to deal with the expenses incurred by the
former types of customers. The policy gives them something to point
to--no one says they have to apply it in every situation (I think).
I'm not a lawyer. I would guess that in general, the percentage of
unreasonable customers in retail is greater than the percentage of
unreasonable managers.

I really like their Pittsburg bar F-clamps (the ones with metal frames),
and work gloves, and have even had good luck with their batteries as
well as a bird bath. I don't think HF would be my first stop for a
motorized pump. YMMV. Good luck!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/12 6:33 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

If that is their new policy, it will certainly affect my buying, as well.
Like you said, they are too hit & miss to not be concerned with it.
However, most of their stuff is *still* so cheap that it won't be a
concern to me for a lot of their stuff.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 6:33*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
[...]

I am not the biggest fan of HF but I do buy some expendables and tools
from them from time to time. I am a little surprised by this because
I have had pretty good luck with their customer service.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default NOPE: Harbor Frieght now charging a restocking fee.

tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

From their web site:

"90 Day Satisfaction Guarantee: Items are guaranteed to be as described and
illustrated. If for any reason you are not satisfied with any item
purchased, you may return the insured product within 90 days for a full
refund or replacement, whichever you prefer."

And:

"Limited Lifetime Warranty on Hand Tools: Harbor Freight Tools makes every
effort to ensure that our products meet high quality and durability
standards and warrants to the original purchaser that eligible products are
free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product."

But:

"Generators and other specific items are subject to a 20% restocking fee"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message

"Generators and other specific items are subject to a 20% restocking fee"

Makes a lot of sense as items like that are the most likely to be returned.
Why rent a tool when you can buy it, use it, then return it and spread that
cost over the rest of the customers?

Many retailers are making changes in the return polices. Clothing stores
get hit with prom dresses and the like.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, don't you think you should find out what requires a restocking fee
before you buy.

They only know when they ring it up.
And finally... if the pump doesn't live up to expectation and there is
no upgrade, why should I pay???

This is a fountain pump, not a pump to get rid of water in your basement.

So I think they ought to start marking which items are restocking on the
shelves. I would still buy that item (bigger), but I don't think it's
fair to let you know after you have bought it.

On 6/6/2012 10:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

"Generators and other specific items are subject to a 20% restocking fee"

Makes a lot of sense as items like that are the most likely to be returned.
Why rent a tool when you can buy it, use it, then return it and spread that
cost over the rest of the customers?

Many retailers are making changes in the return polices. Clothing stores
get hit with prom dresses and the like.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/6/2012 12:26 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

So I think they ought to start marking which items are restocking on the
shelves. I would still buy that item (bigger), but I don't think it's
fair to let you know after you have bought it.

Seems only fair, agreed.

But, just because they've "rung it up" doesn't mean I've yet paid 'em
(or will if they spring something on me that hasn't been up front in the
deal to that point). I've walked away from things at the checkout on
more than one occasion over something even if not very frequently.

Particularly at HF or others of their ilk where the quality is often
dubious at best, if the potential is more than what would care to lose
I'd surely not hesitate to "leave 'em in the lurch", so to speak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:26:18 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

Well, don't you think you should find out what requires a restocking fee
before you buy.

They only know when they ring it up.
And finally... if the pump doesn't live up to expectation and there is
no upgrade, why should I pay???

"Ring it up" does not mean you bought it. You have the option of
removing that item or voiding the sale and starting over with the
other items. Minor inconvenience.

If the pump does not meet specifications, they should take it back.
Note: I said specifications, not expectations. Specifications are
easily measured, but you may have expectations that a 12 ounce hammer
on sale is going to work in knocking down that concrete block wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Specs... 3.6 feet of lift and 158gph

Lift 30 inches to a trickle.

It didn't make 36 inches, just 30.. so expecting 43 inches based on
spec.. and getting 30... it didn't make it.

As far as the checkout. deciding while things are being rung up whether
you want to pay a restocking fee if you return it is unfair.

wrote:

Well, don't you think you should find out what requires a restocking fee
before you buy.

They only know when they ring it up.
And finally... if the pump doesn't live up to expectation and there is
no upgrade, why should I pay???

"Ring it up" does not mean you bought it. You have the option of
removing that item or voiding the sale and starting over with the
other items. Minor inconvenience.

If the pump does not meet specifications, they should take it back.
Note: I said specifications, not expectations. Specifications are
easily measured, but you may have expectations that a 12 ounce hammer
on sale is going to work in knocking down that concrete block wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote:

Holly ****.

I went to HF today to get a fountain pump for my sink that I had set
up.

snip
Guess what the pump didn't live up to it's specification. it was
rated at 158gph with a 3.6 foot rise. It only trickled at 30
inches...

You are at the mercy of the General Energy Equation.

Without a performance curve, (Head Vs Flow), pumps will publish max
head at no flow as well as max flow at zero head.

There ain't no free lunch.

BTW, "Head" = output pressure.

Lew