Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Harbor Frieght now charging a restocking fee.

tiredofspam wrote:
Holly ****.

I went to HF today to get a fountain pump for my sink that I had set up.
They had a sale on them and a new one opened this week less than 40
minutes away. That's a 20 minute savings for me.

Well after she rung up the fountain pump she tells me there is a
restocking fee if I wish to return it. I'm like get out of here,
(remember she already rung it up). Well if it's defective and you
exchange it, or you upgrade there won't be a charge the manager says,
but if you don't like it HF is now charging a restocking fee on many items.

Guess what the pump didn't live up to it's specification. it was rated
at 158gph with a 3.6 foot rise. It only trickled at 30 inches... So it
is going back for a bigger one... But things are so hit and miss with
HF, that I'll be more reluctant to spend money there if they are going
to charge me if it isn't good enough.

You?

How many of their customers might buy a tool there for 1 job and then
return it? I'd be quite surprised if the manager charged you a
restocking fee on your pump. It's hard to blame HF for trying to come
up with a strategy to dry to deal with the expenses incurred by the
former types of customers. The policy gives them something to point
to--no one says they have to apply it in every situation (I think).
I'm not a lawyer. I would guess that in general, the percentage of
unreasonable customers in retail is greater than the percentage of
unreasonable managers.

I really like their Pittsburg bar F-clamps (the ones with metal frames),
and work gloves, and have even had good luck with their batteries as
well as a bird bath. I don't think HF would be my first stop for a
motorized pump. YMMV. Good luck!

Bill