Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding compound miter saws.

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

The ones under $200 with dual bevel and laser from CTC. It comes with a
finger reattachment kit but not wit Saw-Stop for that price.

Get soft start and laser alignment, for sure. I don't think that unit
has a laser cutting line. Once you try it you wouldn't be without one
again.

-----------
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the
unit you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 09:37:19 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

I own a Makita LS1013 and love it. I would look at their current
offering, the LS1016. From my experience with Bosch tools I'm sure
you would like the 5412 if that's what you decide on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 11:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and the
Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the unit you are
looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

Ah yes, the articulating (not sliding) version. A very nice machine; that
would probably be my choice if I were in the market.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

I own a Makita LS1013 and love it. I would look at their current
offering, the LS1016. From my experience with Bosch tools I'm sure
you would like the 5412 if that's what you decide on.

Great tool.
I got an almost new Makita LS1013 at a local pawnshop for $300. Does
that count as a gloat?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:56:11 -0700, Just Wondering
wrote:

Makita LS1013

Almost new, if true, IMHO, you suck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 9:55 AM, m II wrote:
The ones under $200 with dual bevel and laser from CTC. It comes with a
finger reattachment kit but not wit Saw-Stop for that price.

Get soft start and laser alignment, for sure. I don't think that unit
has a laser cutting line. Once you try it you wouldn't be without one
again.

no, the laser went away when they discontinued the 5412L, it can be had
separately as an add on, however.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 11:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the unit
you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

yeah, i saw that one at Lowes yesterday. hmmmmmm. tough decision.
didn't really want to spend that much... I'm a novice woodworker, but
using it for rough construction also. Anythin' will beat that old
hitachi my dad gave me because someone else gave it to him. I think
there's a reason it keeps getting given away. (i'll give it to my son) LOL!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

I own a Makita LS1013 and love it. I would look at their current
offering, the LS1016. From my experience with Bosch tools I'm sure
you would like the 5412 if that's what you decide on.

I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year,
until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a
matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 12:56 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Great tool.
I got an almost new Makita LS1013 at a local pawnshop for $300. Does
that count as a gloat?

absolutely!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 2:14 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/24/2012 11:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the unit
you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

yeah, i saw that one at Lowes yesterday. hmmmmmm. tough decision. didn't
really want to spend that much... I'm a novice woodworker, but using it
for rough construction also. Anythin' will beat that old hitachi my dad
gave me because someone else gave it to him. I think there's a reason it
keeps getting given away. (i'll give it to my son) LOL!

The fact that it does not need space behind the saw for the sliding
mechanism found on the sliders would be a big factor for me and it is
creamy smooth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
*I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... * don't hit me too hard. LOL!

I own a Makita LS1013 and love it. *I would look at their current
offering, the LS1016. *From my experience with Bosch tools I'm sure
you would like the 5412 if that's what you decide on.

I have the Makita LS1013 too. I am quite pleased with it. Haven't
used other models so can't say whether this one is better or worse.
But it works very well. Don't understand the appeal of 12" blade
models since they don't cut any wider. The 10" models will cut 4" or
so deep. Adding another inch of depth with a 12" blade doesn't
impress me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If you can afford the Bosch, go for it. It's a good choice. Those are
nice saurs. I bought the HF 98194 because I wanted to be able to eat
and pay my truck payment that month, too. Hmm, $800 or $160? It has
been a workhorse for me and is easy to use. The difference in capacity
between it and the old 10" Delta I had is unreal. 12" sliders are
truly wondrous.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It will be my next one once the price drops a bit!
Every time I try that thing in the store it makes me horny.

S-M-O-O-T-H and solid!

-------------

"Steve Turner" wrote in message ...
Ah yes, the articulating (not sliding) version. A very nice machine;
that
would probably be my choice if I were in the market.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:14:39 -0600, Steve Barker
using it for rough construction also. Anythin' will beat that old
hitachi my dad gave me because someone else gave it to him. I think
there's a reason it keeps getting given away. (i'll give it to my son) LOL!

Obviously, it's a clandestine attempt to stop children from using your
*good* tools. ~ Doesn't work anymore. Kids these days have an
unusually developed sense of entitlement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:16:39 -0600, Steve Barker
I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year,
until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a
matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.

You need to take part in a Festool demo day. And then, take advantage
of their 30 day satisfaction guaranteed offer. After that, you can
consider your money really gone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:14:39 -0600, Steve Barker
using it for rough construction also. Anythin' will beat that old
hitachi my dad gave me because someone else gave it to him. I think
there's a reason it keeps getting given away. (i'll give it to my son)
LOL!

Obviously, it's a clandestine attempt to stop children from using your
*good* tools. ~ Doesn't work anymore. Kids these days have an
unusually developed sense of entitlement.

I let my kids use all my tools... even the Lie-Nielson planes and saws in
preference to the old Stanley and Millers Falls tools. It is not reasonable
to expect kids to have good results with junk tools nor like working with
tools that perform poorly. Taking it one step further I bought an L-N No 5
plane for them to use as they couldn't handle the No 7. Funny thing is that
the No 5 has turned out to be the one most used by me!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:47:29 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
I let my kids use all my tools... even the Lie-Nielson planes and saws in
preference to the old Stanley and Millers Falls tools. It is not reasonable
to expect kids to have good results with junk tools nor like working with
tools that perform poorly.

I can remember at 5 years of age, using my father's chisels to open
paint cans. Needless to say, I destroyed more than one. But, my
chiseling paint cans didn't last long. My father gave me my own set of
chisels and I realized soon enough that they didn't work anymore after
breaking one or two. I paid attention when it was *my* tools being put
to misuse. That lesson has stayed with me more than 50 years.

BTW John. My spell checker crapped out on your last name. You owe me a
new one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the
unit you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is
that just the distance from the bottom of the blade when it is raised?

--
Gerald Ross

Sorry, I forgot all about the Amnesia Conference!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the LS1013, and when it dies, I hope to own the Festool, or the
Bosch gliding. The 1016 is not as nice in my opinion as my 1013. The
table on the 1013 is what I love, big and beautiful. The saw has been
accurate. I like the Kapex due to its light weight. When you need it,
it's a lot easier to carry a light weight saw than a truck (Bosch).
One more thing the Kapex is rated highest in dust collection, surprising
results every reviewer said. So that's kind of neat too.
At nearly twice the price, I hope I don't need it for a while, but if I
do, you mostly get what you pay for.

wrote:

Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

I own a Makita LS1013 and love it. I would look at their current
offering, the LS1016. From my experience with Bosch tools I'm sure
you would like the 5412 if that's what you decide on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:47:29 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
I let my kids use all my tools... even the Lie-Nielson planes and saws in
preference to the old Stanley and Millers Falls tools. It is not
reasonable
to expect kids to have good results with junk tools nor like working with
tools that perform poorly.

I can remember at 5 years of age, using my father's chisels to open
paint cans. Needless to say, I destroyed more than one. But, my
chiseling paint cans didn't last long. My father gave me my own set of
chisels and I realized soon enough that they didn't work anymore after
breaking one or two. I paid attention when it was *my* tools being put
to misuse. That lesson has stayed with me more than 50 years.

BTW John. My spell checker crapped out on your last name. You owe me a
new one.

Some spell checkers are like the Harbor Freight power tools I've had the
misfortune to use (but not own)... they almost get the job done. ;~)

As a kid I grew up in the 60s and 70s when corded hand tools were becoming
popular for homeowners. I didn't have a chance to work with good woodworking
hand tools as a kid... It took working at Colonial Williamsburg, VA, at the
transition from my 20s to 30s, to learn that you can do fine work with no
electric. The net result of those experiences is that I've got a lot of
nice, sharp and well maintained hand tools and my kids use them...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:10:47 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the
unit you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is
that just the distance from the bottom of the blade when it is raised?

That's jaw opening, not cutting depth.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 4:33 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:16:39 -0600, Steve Barker
I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year,
until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a
matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.

You need to take part in a Festool demo day. And then, take advantage
of their 30 day satisfaction guaranteed offer. After that, you can
consider your money really gone.

LMAO! Yeah, i'm a LOOOOOOOOONG ways from being that 8^ with it. I
don't believe in buying a name either. And in my opinion, that's about
50% of their price.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 5:10 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the
unit you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is that
just the distance from the bottom of the blade when it is raised?

that capacity is measured back at the fence where they use the back of
the blade and a cutout in the housing to cut tall trim. Yes, i agree,
it's kind of like including the 2.5 foot stickout of a swim deck in the
length of a boat when it shouldn't count at all. LOL!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

You don't know what you are talking about.
I think if you really check out there tools you would understand.
But your indication your a newbie, and you know it all.

Sawstop, Festool... yep, your a troll, or an idiot or both. Shut up and
learn something.

On 1/24/2012 10:46 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/24/2012 4:33 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:16:39 -0600, Steve Barker
I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year,
until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a
matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.

You need to take part in a Festool demo day. And then, take advantage
of their 30 day satisfaction guaranteed offer. After that, you can
consider your money really gone.

LMAO! Yeah, i'm a LOOOOOOOOONG ways from being that 8^ with it. I don't
believe in buying a name either. And in my opinion, that's about 50% of
their price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

As a kid I grew up in the 60s and 70s when corded hand tools were becoming
popular for homeowners. I didn't have a chance to work with good woodworking
hand tools as a kid... It took working at Colonial Williamsburg, VA, at the
transition from my 20s to 30s, to learn that you can do fine work with no
electric. The net result of those experiences is that I've got a lot of nice,
sharp and well maintained hand tools and my kids use them...

Steve Turner likes this

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:27:08 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
electric. The net result of those experiences is that I've got a lot of
nice, sharp and well maintained hand tools and my kids use them...

Speaking of sharpness, to this day I hate sharpening tools. So much
so, that I've seriously considering the purchase of a Tormek 7.
Anything to make the job easier and faster.

I don't remember anyone here saying they use one. They've only been
out about a year, so maybe they haven't be out long enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:46:02 -0600, Steve Barker
You need to take part in a Festool demo day.

LMAO! Yeah, i'm a LOOOOOOOOONG ways from being that 8^ with it. I
don't believe in buying a name either. And in my opinion, that's about
50% of their price.

Then, you are the exact type of person who should try it out. Festool
has a great capacity for dust control. That includes routers and
sanders which is aside from the capability of their tools.

The Festool Owners Group is full of people who were of the same
opinion as you. You should check it out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:07:12 -0500, "Josepi"
Good usage of "your a newbie" and "there tools" to demonstrate group
ownership!

A few spelling errors doesn't for one second negate the fact that he's
smart enough to know which tools are worth investigating. Your
dismissal of that fact speaks volumes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 10:37 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:46:02 -0600, Steve Barker
You need to take part in a Festool demo day.

LMAO! Yeah, i'm a LOOOOOOOOONG ways from being that 8^ with it. I
don't believe in buying a name either. And in my opinion, that's about
50% of their price.

Then, you are the exact type of person who should try it out. Festool
has a great capacity for dust control. That includes routers and
sanders which is aside from the capability of their tools.

The Festool Owners Group is full of people who were of the same
opinion as you. You should check it out.

i'm not so closed minded as to never explore. Got a link?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 23:19:16 -0600, Steve Barker
The Festool Owners Group is full of people who were of the same
opinion as you. You should check it out.

i'm not so closed minded as to never explore. Got a link?

http://festoolownersgroup.com/

BTW, the group is not just Festool centric. They discuss all brands of
tools and other things, minus the politics and the cursing about
SawStop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 3:45*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

If you can afford the Bosch, go for it. It's a good choice. Those are
nice saurs. *I bought the HF 98194 because I wanted to be able to eat
and pay my truck payment that month, too. *Hmm, $800 or $160? *It has
been a workhorse for me and is easy to use. The difference in capacity
between it and the old 10" Delta I had is unreal. *12" sliders are
truly wondrous.

Well, since you brought it up...

My amigo that builds decks and gazebos got tired of his good sliders
being banged up at the end of the day when loaded into the truck. As
you know, those big saws are fine when on a table, but unwieldy to
handle.

He bought one of HF slider saws and took apart the glides and cleaned
them all up. He showed me the rags; I am not sure they did any
cleaning after machining and polishing. It was really full of dirty
oil, metal powder, and unidentified crud. He put some light grease on
part of it, graphite on the rest, and man is that thing smooth.

It is perfect for him. He bought the extended "no questions asked"
warranty for it for something like $15, and he has used the crap out
of it. He loves it. Of course, unlike his DeWalts and Makitas, he
can't kill this saw or beat it to pieces from rough handling. We have
decided that they must make it at the same plant where they make those
unstoppable 4" grinders.

If I was doing more rough work, I wouldn't look any farther. They had
the 12" slider on sale here locally, the same one he bought, for $139.
For a guy on a budget, or one that knows his specific use for a tool
that's pretty tough to beat.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:05:34 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 24, 3:45*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

You mean the unstoppable $10 4" grinders, right? g

If I was doing more rough work, I wouldn't look any farther. They had

If I were making furniture, I might rethink it, but this is mostly for
decks. I'm also still eyeing a plunge cut saw as a replacement for
Dina. That will leave me with the little Ryobi portable table saur.

the 12" slider on sale here locally, the same one he bought, for $139.
For a guy on a budget, or one that knows his specific use for a tool
that's pretty tough to beat.

Good to hear.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 9:46 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/24/2012 4:33 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:16:39 -0600, Steve Barker
I was pretty much set on the makita (either 10 or 12") for about a year,
until i started reading reviews.. Seems the motor can be wasted in a
matter of seconds if it happens to get stalled with the direct drive.

You need to take part in a Festool demo day. And then, take advantage
of their 30 day satisfaction guaranteed offer. After that, you can
consider your money really gone.

LMAO! Yeah, i'm a LOOOOOOOOONG ways from being that 8^ with it. I don't
believe in buying a name either. And in my opinion, that's about 50% of
their price.

Well that is the way I felt, then I bought the Domino and Ct22 vac.
IMHO the tools that I have bought from Festool make most all brands that
I have owned and still own, Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, Porter Cable, and
Milwaukee, seem inadequate.

Because of the quality and added usefulness of many of the Festool tools
I have added the Rotex Sander, Finish sander, Track Saw, and the C15-3
drill.

The Domino is the priciest of all my tools but I have cut in excess of
4,000 mortices with it in the last 4 years, that has to have paid for
the tool by now.

The Rotex sander replaced my old PC right angle ROS and until I used the
Rotex I was convinced that nothing in that class removed stock any
faster than the old PC and coupled with the vac I have 99.5% dustless
sanding, so I am not breathing in dust and tracking dust into the house.
With the Rotex sander I no longer use a belt sander any more.

MY Festool Finish sander replaced a PC SpeedBloc sander, I do not see a
remarkable improvement in performance but again I don't have dust
issues. and the paper lasts twice as long.

The Track saw makes cabinet saw quality cuts and can make final cuts.
It is extremely proficient in putting a straight edge on S2S lumber and
is the tool to use to make taper cuts.

Since adding the Festool C15-3 drill I have not used my Makita
drill/driver or Makita Impact driver. The right angle and eccentric
chucks are real problem solvers.

All of these tools save me lots of time and time is ....money.

AND BTY I would be the first to say that brand loyalty is not a good
thing when it comes to power tools. I am sure that Festool has a few
stinkers but probably far fewer than most brands. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the
unit you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is that
just the distance from the bottom of the blade when it is raised?

that capacity is measured back at the fence where they use the back of
the blade and a cutout in the housing to cut tall trim. Yes, i agree,
it's kind of like including the 2.5 foot stickout of a swim deck in the
length of a boat when it shouldn't count at all. LOL!

And do you remember the old CRT monitors, 17" was actually 15.75", you
were not suppose to count the part of the tube that provided no picture
but the manufacturers did.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Have you added any vortex/dust deputy to the Festool vacuum, as I have
heard some people have done to reducethe number of times you need to empty
the bag?

If so, which one?

--
Best regards