Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Sliding compound miter saws

By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with a
ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

TIA.
Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 4:19 pm, "Max" wrote:
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with a
ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

TIA.
Max

I have a Hitachi C10FSH (10") and I can crosscut a 1x12 with no
problems. I think it could go maybe 1/2" further, but I've never
really tried.

With my saw I've cut 2' wide pieces of plywood with no problems by
just flipping it over and lining it up. The only thing I don't like is
the handle. It's parallel to the blade, not perpendicular, and makes
left hand cutting a PITA.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with

ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with

ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which
do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max
There are two features you would lose. The first is dado. The second
is the ability to set the cut depth. Never tried this on my sliding
compound. What you gain is very fast and easy and accurate angle changes and
space. BTW make sure you get the right blades for the SCMS. Really ugly
things happen with wrong blades, I will personally attest to this. Certain
Brother in Law swapped a blade out without checking what he put in. VERY
VERY UGLY AND VERY DANGEROUS THINGS HAPPEN
Keep in mind the Dewalts use a belt drive, most others are direct drive. Not
sure that matters, but I would keep a spare belt if I had a DeWalt. Good
luck

Paul

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with
a ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

TIA.
Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"goaway" wrote
Max
There are two features you would lose. The first is dado. The
second is the ability to set the cut depth. Never tried this on my sliding
compound. What you gain is very fast and easy and accurate angle changes
and space. BTW make sure you get the right blades for the SCMS. Really
ugly things happen with wrong blades, I will personally attest to this.
Certain Brother in Law swapped a blade out without checking what he put
in. VERY VERY UGLY AND VERY DANGEROUS THINGS HAPPEN
Keep in mind the Dewalts use a belt drive, most others are direct drive.
Not sure that matters, but I would keep a spare belt if I had a DeWalt.
Good luck

Paul

Thanks, Paul
I very, very rarely cut dadoes with a saw. I use a router. *Mostly* because
of the odd sizes for plywood ( I have the odd size bits) and the ease of
setting up.
(I have 9 routers) And I have (homemade) cutting guides for three of them.

I *think* there's a Bosch with belt drive.
http://tinyurl.com/275qu3

I'm giving that saw some serious consideration.
You're right about using the proper blade. I've heard some real stories.

Thanks again for the input.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Jon is offline

The Makita LS1013 you can control the depth of cut, it does make pretty nice
dado's using a Freud blade. Just mark the borders with a scribe and have at
it.

Jon

"Max" wrote in message
t...

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS
(with

ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which
do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 8:43 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with

ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which
do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

The only way I know of to get a 12" to go all the way up to a 16" cut
is to buy or use a special accessory that raises up the level of the
table to the maximum diameter of the blade. I'm pretty sure DeWalt
makes one, but I don't know anything else about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 1, 7:15 am, "Jon" wrote:
The Makita LS1013 you can control the depth of cut, it does make pretty nice
dado's using a Freud blade. Just mark the borders with a scribe and have at
it.

Jon

"Max" wrote in message

t...

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS
(with
ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which
do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

And conveniently enough, the LS1013F is at Amazon for $499, plus you
get a $50 gift card for another purchase at Amazon. Not too shabby!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jon wrote:

Ditto for Bosh 4410. Depth of cut control, no problems making dados, very
comfortable, dual bevel, front control, precise. Highly recommended, I
simply love it.

The Makita LS1013 you can control the depth of cut, it does make pretty nice
dado's using a Freud blade. Just mark the borders with a scribe and have at
it.

Jon

"Max" wrote in message
t...

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS
(with
ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which
do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:43:23 -0600, "Max" wrote:

snip

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

I have a RAS in addition to my 10" CMS..
My brother bought the 12" and loves it... sliding or not, he figures bigger is
better..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 03:18:06 GMT, "Max" wrote:

snip

I *think* there's a Bosch with belt drive.
http://tinyurl.com/275qu3

I'm giving that saw some serious consideration.
You're right about using the proper blade. I've heard some real stories.

Thanks again for the input.

Max

I don't know if this is a consideration, but early slide saws got a lot of
complaints that the slider flexed on long cuts and they weren't as accurate as
non-sliders... Maybe this has been corrected or was just a myth..
Possibly just a problem on cheap saws?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 03:18:06 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

snip

I *think* there's a Bosch with belt drive.
http://tinyurl.com/275qu3

I'm giving that saw some serious consideration.
You're right about using the proper blade. I've heard some real stories.

Thanks again for the input.

Max

I don't know if this is a consideration, but early slide saws got a lot of
complaints that the slider flexed on long cuts and they weren't as
accurate as
non-sliders... Maybe this has been corrected or was just a myth..
Possibly just a problem on cheap saws?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Yup. Some of the reviews I read mentioned that problem. Particularly the
DeWalt.
Still thinking Bosch.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:43:23 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with

ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which
do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

If you can hold off until Nov. 9 thru 11, take a look at
tools-plus.com. They will have discounts on those
days. Their prices are usually as good as Amazon
or close. I got my TS ,jointer and planer from them.
Look at the Makita LS1214FL Compound Miter Saw.
$599 now and maybe 10% off on above dates.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"klaatu" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:43:23 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
om...

"Max" wrote in message
[...]

I can hold !! If I'm buying someplace besides Amazon the prices have to be
*better*.
I have gotten very good service from Amazon.
But, Thanks.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
et...

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 03:18:06 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

snip

I *think* there's a Bosch with belt drive.
http://tinyurl.com/275qu3

I'm giving that saw some serious consideration.
You're right about using the proper blade. I've heard some real stories.

Thanks again for the input.

Max

I don't know if this is a consideration, but early slide saws got a lot
of
complaints that the slider flexed on long cuts and they weren't as
accurate as
non-sliders... Maybe this has been corrected or was just a myth..
Possibly just a problem on cheap saws?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Yup. Some of the reviews I read mentioned that problem. Particularly the
DeWalt.
Still thinking Bosch.

I have the 12" Dewalt slider and don't have any problems with wandering on
any cuts. When I switched to a slider from the Dewalt 12" chopsaw I was
concerned, and even kept the old saw setup, but never had any problems.

Good luck with your purchase.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message
. ..

"Max" wrote in message
et...

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 03:18:06 GMT, "Max"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Thank you, Sir. There's no such thing as too much advice. Just sort it out.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Max
wrote:

By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with a
ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

TIA.
Max

Dewalt makes a 12" blade model that cuts 16" with some alterations to
raise the table to take full advantage of the blade diameter.

I have a 10" Makita, love the saw but it is heavy and it has a large
footprint, though not as heavy as other brands. If it will only sit on
a bench in your shop this is not important.

I have used an 8 1/2" Dewalt and would actually love to have a smaller
saw like it, I am short, 5' 7" and find reaching around the Makita to
tilt the blade a bit awkward, I have also used a 12" Makita and it is
even more so. This has to do with the design of the bench it is sitting
on in the shop, at a site on a workmate it is easier to step around it.

Most dimensional lumber falls within the 12" cutting capacity anything
wider is usually a panel and I would cut that on the table saw with a
sled.
Frank C.

--
http:sawdustmaking.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Frank Campbell" wrote in message
In article , Max
wrote:

[...]

I rarely do crosscuts on the table saw. I have my radial arm saw "tuned" for
accurate crosscuts. If I need more crosscut capacity I use a circular saw
with a guide made especially for the job. I want a good sliding compound
miter saw to replace the radial arm saw and for some miters. I have a miter
sled for my table saw that allows me to do accurate miters but I would
rather have a saw dedicated to the job, ie a SCMS. Having a little extra
capacity for 90 degree cuts would be a plus.
I've been looking at the Bosch 5412L.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 8:43 pm, "Max" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
By chance, is there anyone here who would happen to know which SCMS (with

ten inch blade preferably) has the widest (longest?) cutting ability.
I want to replace a radial arm saw and I want the widest possible cut.

I think you'll find that they all max out at 12" cross cut capacity for a
10" SCMS. I have the Makita LS1013 and I've used a Bosch, both of which
do.

A 12", like the DeWalt, should get you up to around a 16" cross cut
capacity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/25/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I might have to go to a 12". hmmm. :-(
Thanks,

Max

I've lusted after a scms for a couple of years now, but with limited
space at home just haven't brought myself to spending the money on
one ... yet.

Anyway, one consideration is the cost of 12" blades vs. 10" blades,
especially if you want to stock a variety of blades to use for
different tasks.

Mark

p.s. when/if I do get one, it'll likely be a 10" Bosch 4410L or the
Makita LS1013

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 1, 12:57 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 03:18:06 GMT, "Max" wrote:

snip

I *think* there's a Bosch with belt drive.
http://tinyurl.com/275qu3

I'm giving that saw some serious consideration.
You're right about using the proper blade. I've heard some real stories.

Thanks again for the input.

Max

I don't know if this is a consideration, but early slide saws got a lot of
complaints that the slider flexed on long cuts and they weren't as accurate as
non-sliders... Maybe this has been corrected or was just a myth..
Possibly just a problem on cheap saws?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I've noticed that the slider (often) consists of two bars. I've seen
them side-by-side on some models, and one-atop-the-other on other
models. I'd expect the side-by-side design to have a lot less
sideways play. Does anyone have experience with both types to confirm
this?

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"redbelly" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've noticed that the slider (often) consists of two bars. I've seen
them side-by-side on some models, and one-atop-the-other on other
models. I'd expect the side-by-side design to have a lot less
sideways play. Does anyone have experience with both types to confirm
this?

Mark

I was wondering the same thing. Glad you asked.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"redbelly" wrote

I've lusted after a scms for a couple of years now, but with limited
space at home just haven't brought myself to spending the money on
one ... yet.

Anyway, one consideration is the cost of 12" blades vs. 10" blades,
especially if you want to stock a variety of blades to use for
different tasks.

Mark

p.s. when/if I do get one, it'll likely be a 10" Bosch 4410L or the
Makita LS1013

It hadn't occurred to me to consider different blades. How many different
tasks could one do with a *miter* saw?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 3, 8:59 pm, "Max" wrote:
"redbelly" wrote

I've lusted after a scms for a couple of years now, but with limited
space at home just haven't brought myself to spending the money on
one ... yet.

Anyway, one consideration is the cost of 12" blades vs. 10" blades,
especially if you want to stock a variety of blades to use for
different tasks.

Mark

p.s. when/if I do get one, it'll likely be a 10" Bosch 4410L or the
Makita LS1013

It hadn't occurred to me to consider different blades. How many different
tasks could one do with a *miter* saw?

Max

I was thinking more of cutting different materials with it. If you're
just going to cut wood, and never plastic, aluminum, or steel, then
probably one blade would suit you.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"redbelly" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 3, 8:59 pm, "Max" wrote:
"redbelly" wrote

I've lusted after a scms for a couple of years now, but with limited
space at home just haven't brought myself to spending the money on
one ... yet.

Anyway, one consideration is the cost of 12" blades vs. 10" blades,
especially if you want to stock a variety of blades to use for
different tasks.

Mark

p.s. when/if I do get one, it'll likely be a 10" Bosch 4410L or the
Makita LS1013

It hadn't occurred to me to consider different blades. How many
different
tasks could one do with a *miter* saw?

Max

I was thinking more of cutting different materials with it. If you're
just going to cut wood, and never plastic, aluminum, or steel, then
probably one blade would suit you.

Mark

I have a chop saw for steel. And a power hack saw. And a cutting torch.
Can't say for sure that I would never want to cut plastic or aluminum.
Hmmm.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:09:41 -0000, redbelly wrote:

On Nov 3, 8:59 pm, "Max" wrote:
"redbelly" wrote

I've lusted after a scms for a couple of years now, but with limited
space at home just haven't brought myself to spending the money on
one ... yet.

Anyway, one consideration is the cost of 12" blades vs. 10" blades,
especially if you want to stock a variety of blades to use for
different tasks.

Mark

p.s. when/if I do get one, it'll likely be a 10" Bosch 4410L or the
Makita LS1013

It hadn't occurred to me to consider different blades. How many different
tasks could one do with a *miter* saw?

Max

I was thinking more of cutting different materials with it. If you're
just going to cut wood, and never plastic, aluminum, or steel, then
probably one blade would suit you.

Mark

I don't have a slider, so I pretty much use a "general purpose" blade on it..

Comparing a slider to a RAS, however, I'd want both a cross cut and plywood
blade, I think..

I use crosscut, rip, dado and plywood blades on the RAS, so would you use the
same on a CMS with a slider?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 4, 12:22 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:09:41 -0000, redbelly wrote:
On Nov 3, 8:59 pm, "Max" wrote:
"redbelly" wrote

[...]

No. You don't need a rip and can't use a dado. The arbor isn't long
enough.