Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding compound miter saws.

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:05:34 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 24, 3:45*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

If you can afford the Bosch, go for it. It's a good choice. Those are
nice saurs. *I bought the HF 98194 because I wanted to be able to eat
and pay my truck payment that month, too. *Hmm, $800 or $160? *It has
been a workhorse for me and is easy to use. The difference in capacity
between it and the old 10" Delta I had is unreal. *12" sliders are
truly wondrous.

Well, since you brought it up...

My amigo that builds decks and gazebos got tired of his good sliders
being banged up at the end of the day when loaded into the truck. As
you know, those big saws are fine when on a table, but unwieldy to
handle.

He bought one of HF slider saws and took apart the glides and cleaned
them all up. He showed me the rags; I am not sure they did any
cleaning after machining and polishing. It was really full of dirty
oil, metal powder, and unidentified crud. He put some light grease on
part of it, graphite on the rest, and man is that thing smooth.

It is perfect for him. He bought the extended "no questions asked"
warranty for it for something like $15, and he has used the crap out
of it. He loves it. Of course, unlike his DeWalts and Makitas, he
can't kill this saw or beat it to pieces from rough handling. We have
decided that they must make it at the same plant where they make those
unstoppable 4" grinders.

You mean the unstoppable $10 4" grinders, right? g

If I was doing more rough work, I wouldn't look any farther. They had

If I were making furniture, I might rethink it, but this is mostly for
decks. I'm also still eyeing a plunge cut saw as a replacement for
Dina. That will leave me with the little Ryobi portable table saur.

the 12" slider on sale here locally, the same one he bought, for $139.
For a guy on a budget, or one that knows his specific use for a tool
that's pretty tough to beat.

Good to hear.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.