Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sliding compound miter saws.

On 1/24/2012 9:47 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 1/24/2012 5:10 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 9:37 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
Ok, at the risk of a severe flaming, what miter saw does everyone like?
I'm leaning towards the Bosch 5412... don't hit me too hard. LOL!

If I were to buy another it would be a toss up between the Festool and
the Bosch GCM12SD. This particular Bosch is only $164 more than the
unit you are looking at, at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-...7427361&sr=1-1

How can a 12 inch saw have a 6 1/2 inch vertical capacity? Or is that
just the distance from the bottom of the blade when it is raised?

that capacity is measured back at the fence where they use the back of
the blade and a cutout in the housing to cut tall trim. Yes, i agree,
it's kind of like including the 2.5 foot stickout of a swim deck in the
length of a boat when it shouldn't count at all. LOL!

And do you remember the old CRT monitors, 17" was actually 15.75", you
were not suppose to count the part of the tube that provided no picture
but the manufacturers did.