Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ultimate sawhorse

The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/4/2012 8:28 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

sawhorse ...design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

What's to plan? Cut a notch, bolt legs together, done...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

The guy obviously spent a lot of time on the design and making the
video & website and is trying to make a few extra bucks. I just

I would have gone through at least two 2x4s trying to duplicate them
so why not reward somebody for a great idea at a fair price?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 6:28*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. *I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

I like to be thorough but 18 pages to build a saw horse? I would hate
to see his plans for a chest of drawers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote the following:
The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

I have the plastic folding kind. Lighter than wood and can be stored
away in less space.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/4/12 10:58 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Jan 4, 6:28 am, Limp wrote:
The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

I like to be thorough but 18 pages to build a saw horse? I would hate
to see his plans for a chest of drawers.

Wouldn't a "measured set of drawings" (copyright Norm) be more than
sufficient for that thing?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/4/2012 10:15 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 4, 10:26 am, wrote:

What's to plan? Cut a notch, bolt legs together, done...

The guy obviously spent a lot of time on the design and making the
video& website and is trying to make a few extra bucks. I just
downloaded the plans for $5 and they are well done. Step-by-step
instructions with pictures and cutout templates for the notches.

I would have gone through at least two 2x4s trying to duplicate them
so why not reward somebody for a great idea at a fair price?

Why? That's what cardboard or some other trash material is for.

Sure, they're a pretty nice idea but nothing that really takes any
serious amount of plans for. If you want the plans, for it (I gather
you already did) and I've nothing against the guy for trying...

It does seem like a lot of effort for $5, though...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

On Jan 4, 10:26 am, dpb wrote:
On 1/4/2012 8:28 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

sawhorse ...design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

What's to plan? Cut a notch, bolt legs together, done...

--

The guy obviously spent a lot of time on the design and making the
video & website and is trying to make a few extra bucks. I just
downloaded the plans for $5 and they are well done. Step-by-step
instructions with pictures and cutout templates for the notches.

I would have gone through at least two 2x4s trying to duplicate them
so why not reward somebody for a great idea at a fair price?
One thing that I have never seen on a sawhorse that they should all have. An
adjustable leg. A tripod will sit solidly on uneven ground. Four legs are
likely to rock. Make one leg adjustable to take care of that problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote the following:

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message

On Jan 4, 10:26 am, dpb wrote:
[...]

Cut one leg off. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/4/2012 3:27 PM, willshak wrote:
CW wrote the following:

One thing that I have never seen on a sawhorse that they should all
have. An adjustable leg. A tripod will sit solidly on uneven ground.
Four legs are likely to rock. Make one leg adjustable to take care of
that problem.

Cut one leg off. :-)

That's what "everybody" has that Cat w/ the 'dozer blade for, isn't it?
Make a flat spot for the sawhorse...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

One thing that I have never seen on a sawhorse that they should all
have. An adjustable leg. A tripod will sit solidly on uneven ground.
Four legs are likely to rock. Make one leg adjustable to take care
of that problem.

--------------------------------
Break out the design Morris posted some time ago.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/4/2012 3:54 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"CW" wrote:

One thing that I have never seen on a sawhorse that they should all
have. An adjustable leg. A tripod will sit solidly on uneven ground.
Four legs are likely to rock. Make one leg adjustable to take care
of that problem.

--------------------------------
Break out the design Morris posted some time ago.

I knew I'd seen at least one that had the feature--that's probably it.

Too bad Morris isn't around much any more; was always interesting stuff...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/4/2012 9:28 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:
The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

Neat idea, you have to give him an 'A' for effort. Now if he eliminates
the bending down to fasten a strap thing to something reachable *while
standing* then I'll give him an 'A+'.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/4/2012 5:26 PM, John wrote:

Neat idea, you have to give him an 'A' for effort. Now if he eliminates
the bending down to fasten a strap thing to something reachable *while
standing* then I'll give him an 'A+'.

Yeah, the weakness in that design is that the legs have to be held
together to hold the crosspiece in place--they want to go the wrong way
under load.

The switchable tops is kinda' a neat feature, though, I'll grant him that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 06:28:31 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor
wrote:

The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

What all comes with it? It looks like a wooden tabletop and two
clamps with rollers. Are there brackets attached to the bottom of
that table, or does it just screw to your sacrificial tubafore?
Yeah, that looks handy even without a Jawhorse.

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

I hope you're doing that as a tribute to the designer.

I've been pretty happy with the little plastic foldup jobs from
Chiwan. I think they were $17 for the pair. I added a tubafore up top.

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

What all comes with it? It looks like a wooden tabletop and two
clamps with rollers. Are there brackets attached to the bottom of
that table, or does it just screw to your sacrificial tubafore?
Yeah, that looks handy even without a Jawhorse.
Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBK8tzJksNg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/4/12 9:45 PM, CW wrote:
Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBK8tzJksNg

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm making a promotional video for my product
I'm going to make sure everything it straight and square, not crooked.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:45:31 -0800, "CW" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.

What all comes with it? It looks like a wooden tabletop and two
clamps with rollers. Are there brackets attached to the bottom of
that table, or does it just screw to your sacrificial tubafore?
Yeah, that looks handy even without a Jawhorse.
================================================= =================
Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBK8tzJksNg

Very cool. There is even more included than I thought.
Let's see, what else do I need in Medford...

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 6:52*pm, dpb wrote:
On 1/4/2012 5:26 PM, John wrote:

Neat idea, you have to give him an 'A' for effort. Now if he eliminates
the bending down to fasten a strap thing to something reachable *while
standing* then I'll give him an 'A+'.

Yeah, the weakness in that design is that the legs have to be held
together to hold the crosspiece in place--they want to go the wrong way
under load.

Looks like under a straight down load it is not going to want to push
apart because the top sits in a notch with the pivot point below.
http://www.woodshopdude.com/uploads/...524296.png?380

After I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension
is on the strap.

I'm also not sure why the designer has the legs put together the way
they are. I would think maybe having the legs on one side be inside
legs and the other side be outside legs might also work. Maybe they
need to be that way because they splay out...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 4:04*pm, "CW" wrote:
"Limp Arbor" *wrote in message

On Jan 4, 10:26 am, dpb wrote:

[...]

I have seen folding tables that are meant to be used inside with a
short leg and a bolt running into the bottom for adjustability.
Obviously that wouldn't work on dirt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/5/2012 7:33 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 4, 6:52 pm, wrote:
On 1/4/2012 5:26 PM, John wrote:

Neat idea, you have to give him an 'A' for effort. Now if he eliminates
the bending down to fasten a strap thing to something reachable *while
standing* then I'll give him an 'A+'.

Yeah, the weakness in that design is that the legs have to be held
together to hold the crosspiece in place--they want to go the wrong way
under load.

Looks like under a straight down load it is not going to want to push
apart because the top sits in a notch with the pivot point below.
http://www.woodshopdude.com/uploads/...524296.png?380

Yeah, the tension strap is going to be necessary to keep the unit from
collapsing under any kind of wiggle and load.

After I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension
is on the strap.

There will not be much tension at all, it only needs to keep the legs
from spreading farther. BUT if you want a tight fit, the straps will
need to be tensioned quite a bit and any compression in the wood will
require further adjustment of the straps.

This is a cool idea but solid stops will be needed. Perhaps a board
that lays across the tops of the bottom rails that has stops on the
ends to prevent the legs from spreading out.

The big flaw here is that the more weight you add the more loosely
everything will fit.

I'm also not sure why the designer has the legs put together the way
they are. I would think maybe having the legs on one side be inside
legs and the other side be outside legs might also work. Maybe they
need to be that way because they splay out...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:

I'm also not sure why the designer has the legs put together the way
they are. I would think maybe having the legs on one side be inside
legs and the other side be outside legs might also work. Maybe they
need to be that way because they splay out...

Because there is a cross piece between each set of legs. Your idea will
result in legs that won't fold completely inside of each other.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On Jan 4, 6:52 pm, wrote:

Yeah, the weakness in that design is that the legs have to be held
together to hold the crosspiece in place--they want to go the wrong way
under load.

Looks like under a straight down load it is not going to want to push
apart because the top sits in a notch with the pivot point below.
http://www.woodshopdude.com/uploads/...524296.png?380

The load is still transmitted to the ground down the legs and there's a
horizontal component as well as vertical owing to the angles. That's
resisted only by friction on ground w/o the strap. It may be reasonably
stable if the angles aren't too severe and the surface is rough, but the
force is there and has to be resisted...

After I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension
is on the strap.

I'm also not sure why the designer has the legs put together the way
they are. I would think maybe having the legs on one side be inside
legs and the other side be outside legs might also work. Maybe they
need to be that way because they splay out...

Makes no difference as far as the spreading force goes...I presume he
did it for symmetry and to make the footprint the same for both sets of
legs--if both were inside on the one side, that side would have a 3"
narrower spacing than the other two owing to the thickness of the tubax'es.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/5/2012 7:33 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

After I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension
is on the strap.

Well, let me make a guess...

From a crude guesstimate of the angles from the end-on view of his
video, it looks like roughly a 70 degree angle of the legs to ground.

So, cos(70) = 0.34 or let's say 1/3 for "close enough"

If it's loaded w/ 100 lb uniformly, that would be only 25 lb/leg and
only a third of that would be horizontal or roughly 8 lbf.

Not a lot; granted, the problem is that w/o the strap it would want to
spread if anything upset the balance at all to raise a leg from firm
ground contact so friction force went away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor writes:

I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/

I'd cut a notch into the legs for the lower side support. They would be
narrower (folded and unfolded), and stronger.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 5, 8:33*am, Limp Arbor wrote:

Looks like under a straight down load it is not going to want to push
apart because the top sits in a notch with the pivot point below.
http://www.woodshopdude.com/uploads/...524296.png?380

They do want to push apart.

After I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension
is on the strap.

Does not require much tension to make them stable.

I'm also not sure why the designer has the legs put together the way
they are. *I would think maybe having the legs on one side be inside
legs and the other side be outside legs might also work. *Maybe they
need to be that way because they splay out...

Looks to me like the reason the legs are laid out the way they are is
so you only need one set of templates to drill the holes (plans come
with cutout templates for the top end of the legs). If you wanted to
you could make the two inside legs open left and the outside legs
swing right. The pivot point is critical otherwise the notches won't
line when the legs are open. I suppose you could cut the legs and
clamp them in the 'open' position then drill the bolt holes to avoid
alignment trouble.

Once open and strapped these things are strong and stable. The legs
are splayed out in two directions to aid in stabilizing them. I used
1x4s for the cross braces since I had some laying around and just
screwed them to the legs. I planned to remove/glue/reinstall them but
they are so sturdy I didn't bother. If I was using them for work
everyday I would probably notch the legs and glue/screw them in place.

They obviously don't fold up as small as my yellow steel horeses but
they are lighter and just as stable. My yellow folding ones don't get
much use because they are too low for me to use w/o extending the
legs. If you have ever used these you know that they don't fold up
completely once you extend the legs.
(not mine) http://mike.creuzer.com/uploaded_ima...925-789646.JPG

Overall great idea.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/9/2012 8:03 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jan 5, 8:33 am, Limp wrote:

Looks like under a straight down load it is not going to want to push
apart because the top sits in a notch with the pivot point below.
http://www.woodshopdude.com/uploads/...524296.png?380

They do want to push apart.

After I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension
is on the strap.

Does not require much tension to make them stable.

I estimated about 8-lb/100-lb of loading on each end (or ~15 total).
The strap tension will be at least partly compensated for by ground
frictional force.

Close enough?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/9/2012 8:03 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

Looks to me like the reason the legs are laid out the way they are is
so you only need one set of templates to drill the holes (plans come
with cutout templates for the top end of the legs). If you wanted to
you could make the two inside legs open left and the outside legs
swing right. The pivot point is critical otherwise the notches won't
line when the legs are open. I suppose you could cut the legs and
clamp them in the 'open' position then drill the bolt holes to avoid
alignment trouble.

That would be the obvious way...

I haven't tried to draw out one to check on dimensions but seems to me
at the cost of using a wider board or gluing up stock that one could
offset the pin location from the slot and reverse it so they would close
on the crosspiece instead, eliminating the strap entirely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Limp Arbor, basswood wrote:
limp_arbor wrote:

The big blue box store is practically giving away the Jawhorse miter
saw attachment for around $20. I bought one even though I don't have
a Jawhorse because it came with some rollers that clamp to 2by lumber
and some nifty right angle clamps for 2by lumber.
I started googling to see if there are any new ways to build a
sawhorse since one of our own came up with those three legged things
and came across this design:
http://www.woodshopdude.com/
I plan on buying the plans unless someone here has a link to a better
design

--
I thought I would add my design to this post. It recently received the
"Editor's Choice" award on the most popular woodworking site on the web

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/96307

It is a fairly simple design made of plywood. It takes one sheet of 3/4"
plywood to build a sawhorse. I try to demystify the construction in the
plans I have available.

Let me know if anyone is interested in discussing them.

Cheers, Brian

Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue versus Ultimate Good-Performance Glue. mm Home Repair 12 January 14th 11 08:04 PM
Attn: Abby Brown: Sketchup model of a Morris Dovey sawhorse - "Morris Dovey Sawhorse.skp" yEnc (1/1) William Douglas Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 June 15th 10 09:05 PM
Sawhorse brackets T i m UK diy 7 July 6th 09 06:38 PM
sawhorse designs Steve B Metalworking 8 January 30th 06 12:48 AM
Any Sawhorse Plans? Steve Woodworking 35 April 29th 04 01:56 PM