Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue versus Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

Do you know the difference between Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue,
and Elmers Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

Someone on the web recommended the first for a very difficult job --
gluing the same broken part on the same device that I have -- gluing a
broken white plastic (or nylon?) gear to a metal shaft, and while
google finds it, by the time one gets to many outlets that seem to
sell it, the name has changed to the latter name!

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

The part numbers are the same, the names are similar, but significant
things are different.

No mention of polyurethane in the second one.

No mention of plastic. They say it glues metal, stone, wood and more,
but nowhere says what the more is. I've never seen a glue that
doesn't list either what it's good for or what it's not good for.

And they have not much, but more information on the new package than
on the webpage. I had to go to the store in the snow only to find out
a little more about it but still not much.

They have no information about the old product on the webpage, no
reference to it, not even text documents from the Search box.

Also, interestingly, the instructions say if the materials aren't
porous to dampen one side, but didn't say with what!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

It's time for a new gear.

http://www.sdp-si.com/estore/CoverPg/Gears.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 3:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Lots of luck with that one. Gluing nylon to steel...? The repair
material you need can be located in your wallet - as long as you have
enough for a new gear.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 13, 3:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Brittle glues are not good for many things, because they snap or
break.
Something slightly flexible like PL Premium is going to
work better. I also use Plumbers Goop, but takes a few days
to cure.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 13, 3:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Also, Elmers white glue is a more brittle glue. There exists the more
flexable type. Its either Homopolymer or Copolymer

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 13, 2:58*am, mm wrote:

snip

Also, interestingly, the instructions say if the materials aren't
porous to dampen one side, but didn't say with what! *

The definition of 'damp' implies water. If something else were
required it would say so.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

In article ,
mm wrote:

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

It's time for a new gear.

http://www.sdp-si.com/estore/CoverPg/Gears.htm

people don't realize the stress gears take,that's why glue doesn't work for
them.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

No glue will hold well enough for nylon, especially on gears. The
only repair that will work is melting the broken pieces together, such
as with a woodburning iron or soldering iron (nonstick Teflon
woodburning tip is better) and identical nylon as a filler. I've
never fixed big or high-torque gears this way, only tiny ones, such as
those in ancient TV tuners (and I still have one of those TVs but
haven't rotated the tuner in a couple of years).
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:08:33 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

mm wrote:

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

No glue will hold well enough for nylon, especially on gears. The

YOu know, I thought about that, but the guy on the web glued exactly
this part from exactly this device (a computer printer) and he said it
worked. Of course I don't know how long ago he had done it, and it
might have broken the day after he posted.

I haven't had time to do any of the suggestions yet.

only repair that will work is melting the broken pieces together, such
as with a woodburning iron or soldering iron (nonstick Teflon
woodburning tip is better) and identical nylon as a filler. I've
never fixed big or high-torque gears this way, only tiny ones, such as
those in ancient TV tuners (and I still have one of those TVs but
haven't rotated the tuner in a couple of years).

Better not. :-)

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:05:19 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

It's time for a new gear.

http://www.sdp-si.com/estore/CoverPg/Gears.htm

Wow, I had no idea there would be such an organized list of gears.

I'll see if I can find the one I need.

Just a few days ago, the gear on my 12v tire pump broke also, and
maybe they have one for that too.

I later got another pump for free somewhere, but now that I need it,
it's not where it used to be. Still, knowing I have it means I don't
want to buy a third pump.

Maybe I can find both gears. The pump worked wquite well for at
least 10 years. The first thing I asked about, a computer printer, I
got broken and don't really need, although it's an all in one, very
light, the flatbed scanner definitely works well, and the software is
pretty darn good.** The printer has separate buttons for color copy,
b&w copy, scan to computer, scan to fax, and scan/insert in email. A
nice design. **Some of the software will probably work with any
scanner or printer.

I save gears from things that break, but I don't have either of
these.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:14:44 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

mm wrote:
Do you know the difference between Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue,
and Elmers Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

Someone on the web recommended the first for a very difficult job --
gluing the same broken part on the same device that I have -- gluing a
broken white plastic (or nylon?) gear to a metal shaft, and while
google finds it, by the time one gets to many outlets that seem to
sell it, the name has changed to the latter name!

Polyurethane glue isn't what you want.
___________________

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft?

The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

About the only things that *might* work are epoxy or cyanoacrylate ("super
glue"). If it were me, I'd try a bit of epoxy on the side of the gear to
see how well it sticks.

That's a very good idea.

I can try that, but I've never gotten anything to stick with "super
glue", not even my fingers.

Once cured - at least 24 hours - try removing it.
If well stuck, use it to mend...I'd mix a thickener into the epoxy and

Like cornstarch? That's the only thickener I know, but I think it's
for gravy. Seriously, what would you use as a thickener?

slightly bevel all edges of the broken areas so the thickened epoxy has more
area to grab.

If the test epoxy did not work, try the cyanoacrylate. If it doesn;t work,
get a new gear.
_________________

I've never seen a glue that
doesn't list either what it's good for or what it's not good for.

http://www.thistothat.com/

A good name. I might actually remember it. But "There are so many
kinds of plastic its hard to give advice here that applies to them
all. If possible try a small test in an area that doesn't show. "
__________________

Also, interestingly, the instructions say if the materials aren't
porous to dampen one side, but didn't say with what!

Take a guess. Did you guess water? BINGO! Polyurethane glue needs water
to cure.

I was also going to try mushroom soup.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:39:19 -0800 (PST), zek
wrote:

On Jan 13, 3:58*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Elmer's Search found nothing for either word.

'
Thanks to you and everyone for all the suggestions.

I haven't had ttime to rry anything yet, but I will.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:46:15 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

If well stuck, use it to mend...I'd mix a thickener into the epoxy
and

Like cornstarch? That's the only thickener I know, but I think it's
for gravy. Seriously, what would you use as a thickener?

Fumed silica (Cab-o-Sil), micro balloons, wood powder, etc.
http://www.uscomposites.com/fillers.html

Thanks.