Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ungluing elmer's glue all

Need to join several small joints less than permanently to facilitate
repairs (wood encased homebrew guitar pickups). Elmer's glue all
seems right, i.e. just weak enough for the job. How to take apart
without damaging the joined wood too severely?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/20/10 4:02 PM, Father Haskell wrote:
Need to join several small joints less than permanently to facilitate
repairs (wood encased homebrew guitar pickups). Elmer's glue all
seems right, i.e. just weak enough for the job. How to take apart
without damaging the joined wood too severely?

Temporary glue joints can be obtained by placing paper between the
pieces to be glued.
Brown paper bags work well.

You may also want to check out some liquid hide glue (Titebond 5012).
It can be unactivated with heat and/or steam

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 7:50*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 11/20/10 4:02 PM, Father Haskell wrote:
Need to join several small joints less than permanently to facilitate
repairs (wood encased homebrew guitar pickups). *Elmer's glue all
seems right, i.e. just weak enough for the job. *How to take apart
without damaging the joined wood too severely?

Temporary glue joints can be obtained by placing paper between the
pieces to be glued.
Brown paper bags work well.

You may also want to check out some liquid hide glue (Titebond 5012).
It can be unactivated with heat and/or steam

Just make sure you buy it where you can check the expiration date. *The
bottles on the shelf at the local hardware store expired two years ago. *
And with liquid hide glue it _does_ matter. *I haven't looked on the
ones at Woodcraft.

Urea is added to make it liquid when cold. Unfortunately, this also
cuts the shelf life to 6 months. Old fashioned, dry hide glue has a
shelf
life of hundreds of years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 5:17*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/20/10 4:02 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

Need to join several small joints less than permanently to facilitate
repairs (wood encased homebrew guitar pickups). *Elmer's glue all
seems right, i.e. just weak enough for the job. *How to take apart
without damaging the joined wood too severely?

Temporary glue joints can be obtained by placing paper between the
pieces to be glued.
Brown paper bags work well.

Trick for mounting work on a faceplate, so that it can be split off
with a knife blade.

You may also want to check out some liquid hide glue (Titebond 5012).
It can be unactivated with heat and/or steam

Have the Elmer's, still waiting for payday.

I'm wondering what happens if the glue is diluted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote:

Need to join several small joints less than permanently to
facilitate
repairs (wood encased homebrew guitar pickups).

-----------------
Double backed tape, about 50% coverage.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:12:39 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell
wrote:

[...]

Your statement made me get up from watching the Aggies take on Nebraska and walk
out to the garashop to check my bottle of liquid hide glue, which is a little
shy of half full. It is Tightbond brand, made by Franklin, and has an
expiration date of July 98. Cleaned my glasses and made sure I read it right.

I knew I'd had it a while, but I sure didn't think it was anywhere near 12
years. Still liquid, still works fine. I last used it a month or so ago on an
antique dresser I repaired.

All I can say is that it has been kept tightly capped, cool and in the dark
since the day I brought it home. Maybe after the game I'll go out and glue a
couple scrap boards together with it, then see how easy it is to break the
joint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

Shoot - no freakin' problem. Go out an buy a sixer of the cheapest beer
money can buy. Drink it. Wait 20 minutes and you'll have all that urine
stuff you need to extend the life. Just hold it close - the aim ain't so
good after a sixer...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking