Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman

Default Gorilla Glue vs. Elmers Ultimate Glue Polyurethane?

Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising
but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"blueman" wrote in message
Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising
but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

thanks

If the joint is as strong as needed, that is all that matters. In the case
of wood, event he cheapest wood adhesives are stronger than the wood itself.
I'd go with the cheaper brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Duane Bozarth

blueman wrote:

Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising
but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

I don't think it's 2x costlier than competing polyurethanes, it's only
about the 3x compared to yellow aliphatics.

I've heard that some of the others don't contain the amount of solids
that Gorilla glue has, but I've not been able to tell any difference
from a functional standpoint in any that I've used--they all foam and
make a hell of a mess. Unless there is a _very_ specific reason for
using them (the common ones being the total waterproof quality, long
open time and/or exotics), I personally avoid them like the plague (or
bird flu to be topical ).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"blueman" wrote in message
Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising
but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

I bought Gorilla glue instead of Elmers because the warning labels on the
Elmers were much scarier. Gorilla could be safer, or Elmers could be more
honest; donno.

Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

Also ask rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:11:09 GMT, blueman wrote:

Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising
but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
rider89

i tried some gorilla glue on some masonry/tile materials and was very
unimpressed.
like so many adhesives, it may work great on certain materials, but as a
general purpose
adhesive, I don't think so.
generally full court advertising seems to relate to an inferior product.

bill

"blueman" wrote in message
Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising
but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"blueman" wrote in message
Gorilla is about 2-3x expensive and spends a fortune on advertising
but is it any better than the cheaper Elmers polyurethane glue?

thanks

A long standing tenet of marketing holds that an identical product
repackaged and priced higher will cause consumers to believe it is a better
product. However, in this case I think Elmer's being a larger company
simply has lower manufacturing and distribution costs as they can economize
while making all of their other products. Less advertizing also lowers the
price. All they need to do is make sure it is on the same shelf and
comparison shoppers will figure out the rest.

I have used both and found no noticable difference subjectively.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to blueman, Billy Ackerley wrote:
I like both, they are excellent. However, I have repaired busted musical
instruments. Gorilla Glue leaves a darker colored joint and is hard to hide in
the final finish. No problem with Elmer's poly glue. The joint is almost
completely invisible after sanding. I recently tried Gorilla wood glue and
really like it though. It gets sticky and sets up faster.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ane-54512-.htm

To use hide glue? [email protected] Woodworking 24 November 14th 05 12:55 AM
Questions About Gorilla Glue GrayFox Woodworking 42 September 9th 05 05:22 AM
Titebond Glue CNT Woodworking 9 May 19th 05 03:53 AM
Elmers Polyurethane Glue Question NorthIdahoWWer Woodworking 13 April 14th 05 07:57 PM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 01:48 AM