Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue versus Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:39:19 -0800 (PST), zek
wrote:

On Jan 13, 3:58*am, mm wrote:
Do you know the difference between Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue,
and Elmers Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

Someone on the web recommended the first for a very difficult job --
gluing the same broken part on the same device that I have -- gluing a
broken white plastic (or nylon?) gear to a metal shaft, and while
google finds it, by the time one gets to many outlets that seem to
sell it, the name has changed to the latter name! *

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? *The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

The part numbers are the same, the names are similar, but significant
things are different.

No mention of polyurethane in the second one.

No mention of plastic. They say it glues metal, stone, wood and more,
but nowhere says what the more is. * I've never seen a glue that
doesn't list either what it's good for or what it's not good for.

And they have not much, but more information on the new package than
on the webpage. I had to go to the store in the snow only to find out
a little more about it but still not much. *

They have no information about the old product on the webpage, no
reference to it, not even text documents from the Search box.

Also, interestingly, the instructions say if the materials aren't
porous to dampen one side, but didn't say with what! *

Also, Elmers white glue is a more brittle glue. There exists the more
flexable type. Its either Homopolymer or Copolymer

Elmer's Search found nothing for either word.

'
Thanks to you and everyone for all the suggestions.

I haven't had ttime to rry anything yet, but I will.