Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue versus Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:08:33 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

mm wrote:

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft? The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

No glue will hold well enough for nylon, especially on gears. The

YOu know, I thought about that, but the guy on the web glued exactly
this part from exactly this device (a computer printer) and he said it
worked. Of course I don't know how long ago he had done it, and it
might have broken the day after he posted.

I haven't had time to do any of the suggestions yet.

only repair that will work is melting the broken pieces together, such
as with a woodburning iron or soldering iron (nonstick Teflon
woodburning tip is better) and identical nylon as a filler. I've
never fixed big or high-torque gears this way, only tiny ones, such as
those in ancient TV tuners (and I still have one of those TVs but
haven't rotated the tuner in a couple of years).

Better not. :-)

Thanks.