Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue versus Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:14:44 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

mm wrote:
Do you know the difference between Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue,
and Elmers Ultimate Good-Performance Glue.

Someone on the web recommended the first for a very difficult job --
gluing the same broken part on the same device that I have -- gluing a
broken white plastic (or nylon?) gear to a metal shaft, and while
google finds it, by the time one gets to many outlets that seem to
sell it, the name has changed to the latter name!

Polyurethane glue isn't what you want.
___________________

==Alternatively, what you use to glue a a broken white plastic (or
nylon?) gear to a metal shaft?

The gear is in two pieces, and when I
put half of it in place, and rotate the shaft it's a tight fit between
it and each of the gears it mates with.

About the only things that *might* work are epoxy or cyanoacrylate ("super
glue"). If it were me, I'd try a bit of epoxy on the side of the gear to
see how well it sticks.

That's a very good idea.

I can try that, but I've never gotten anything to stick with "super
glue", not even my fingers.

Once cured - at least 24 hours - try removing it.
If well stuck, use it to mend...I'd mix a thickener into the epoxy and

Like cornstarch? That's the only thickener I know, but I think it's
for gravy. Seriously, what would you use as a thickener?

slightly bevel all edges of the broken areas so the thickened epoxy has more
area to grab.

If the test epoxy did not work, try the cyanoacrylate. If it doesn;t work,
get a new gear.
_________________

I've never seen a glue that
doesn't list either what it's good for or what it's not good for.

http://www.thistothat.com/

A good name. I might actually remember it. But "There are so many
kinds of plastic its hard to give advice here that applies to them
all. If possible try a small test in an area that doesn't show. "

Also, interestingly, the instructions say if the materials aren't
porous to dampen one side, but didn't say with what!

Take a guess. Did you guess water? BINGO! Polyurethane glue needs water
to cure.

I was also going to try mushroom soup.