Posted to rec.woodworking
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default Ultimate sawhorse

On Jan 5, 8:33*am, Limp Arbor wrote:

Looks like under a straight down load it is not going to want to push
apart because the top sits in a notch with the pivot point below.
http://www.woodshopdude.com/uploads/...524296.png?380

They do want to push apart.

After I put a set together this weekend I'll report back how tension
is on the strap.

Does not require much tension to make them stable.

I'm also not sure why the designer has the legs put together the way
they are. *I would think maybe having the legs on one side be inside
legs and the other side be outside legs might also work. *Maybe they
need to be that way because they splay out...

Looks to me like the reason the legs are laid out the way they are is
so you only need one set of templates to drill the holes (plans come
with cutout templates for the top end of the legs). If you wanted to
you could make the two inside legs open left and the outside legs
swing right. The pivot point is critical otherwise the notches won't
line when the legs are open. I suppose you could cut the legs and
clamp them in the 'open' position then drill the bolt holes to avoid
alignment trouble.

Once open and strapped these things are strong and stable. The legs
are splayed out in two directions to aid in stabilizing them. I used
1x4s for the cross braces since I had some laying around and just
screwed them to the legs. I planned to remove/glue/reinstall them but
they are so sturdy I didn't bother. If I was using them for work
everyday I would probably notch the legs and glue/screw them in place.

They obviously don't fold up as small as my yellow steel horeses but
they are lighter and just as stable. My yellow folding ones don't get
much use because they are too low for me to use w/o extending the
legs. If you have ever used these you know that they don't fold up
completely once you extend the legs.
(not mine) http://mike.creuzer.com/uploaded_ima...925-789646.JPG

Overall great idea.