Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Ultimate sawhorse

On 1/9/2012 8:03 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

Looks to me like the reason the legs are laid out the way they are is
so you only need one set of templates to drill the holes (plans come
with cutout templates for the top end of the legs). If you wanted to
you could make the two inside legs open left and the outside legs
swing right. The pivot point is critical otherwise the notches won't
line when the legs are open. I suppose you could cut the legs and
clamp them in the 'open' position then drill the bolt holes to avoid
alignment trouble.

That would be the obvious way...

I haven't tried to draw out one to check on dimensions but seems to me
at the cost of using a wider board or gluing up stock that one could
offset the pin location from the slot and reverse it so they would close
on the crosspiece instead, eliminating the strap entirely.