Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A new Tower project completed!

As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes
in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in
pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase
could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing
pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished
the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her
kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers
that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

My favorite shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes in
two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in pantry,
the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase could be
added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing pantry to
place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished the "Country
Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her kitchen. The 26
drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built
this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

Looks great. Can I ask what materials you used?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
[...]

Yesss!! Mighty fine job.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 4:46 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 12/10/2011 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes in
two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in pantry,
the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase could be
added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing pantry to
place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished the "Country
Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her kitchen. The 26
drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built
this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

Looks great. Can I ask what materials you used?

Oh Nooooo that is a big secret! LOL And thank you.

Greg the dark and lighter wood is white oak. I used General Finishes
Water based Dye Stain Dark Brown and plain oil based varnish on
everything except the actual drawer bodies. The drawer bodies are made
from 1/2" Baltic birch with rabbited corners reinforced with domino tenons.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 5:20 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
That's beautiful, Leon. The drawer pulls are really striking. I may need
to borrow that idea for a piece I'm working on now.

Larry

Thank you Larry, borrow away! Here is another version of that pull on a
much larger drawer. I actually used them on top and bottom of 4 drawers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 5:21 PM, Max wrote:

Yesss!! Mighty fine job.

Max

Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nice job Leon, nice pulls, nice contrast in colors.

I was looking at the other photos in your album. The quilted box caught
my eye, because when I look at the unfinished version it looks very
flat, but the finished version has radiused edges on the pieces. Was the
unfinished not glued, and just set in place? I like the effect of the
radiused edges, nice work.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:41:14 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes
in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in
pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase
could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing
pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished
the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her
kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers
that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

I'm gonna tell your wife that you have women everywhere getting into
your drawers, boy. That'll teach you to brag.

My favorite shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

How does one see into the top four, hmm?

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
The 26
drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built
this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

98 drawers, eh? You would think that the women folk would run out of things
to put in those numerous drawers.

Looks good Leon. If the builder doesn't give you a pantry, Leon will build
one!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 8:28 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Leon wrote:
The 26
drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built
this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

98 drawers, eh? You would think that the women folk would run out of things to
put in those numerous drawers.

Heh, that's a good one. You were joking, right? :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe those drawers are open at the sides, rather than the tops?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes
in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in
pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase
could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing
pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished
the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her
kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98
drawers that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

My favorite shots:

But...but...but there's no melamine board

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh. Leave it to Leon...

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 7:20 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Nice job Leon, nice pulls, nice contrast in colors.

I was looking at the other photos in your album. The quilted box caught
my eye, because when I look at the unfinished version it looks very
flat, but the finished version has radiused edges on the pieces. Was the
unfinished not glued, and just set in place? I like the effect of the
radiused edges, nice work.

Thank you! Correct observations on the finished quilted box but the
pieces were in fact glued in place. I sorat kinda like the flat piece
look also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
The 26
drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built
this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

98 drawers, eh? You would think that the women folk would run out of
things to put in those numerous drawers.

Looks good Leon. If the builder doesn't give you a pantry, Leon will
build one!

Thank you

Well those 98 drawers were for 7 different jobs.
There are several new homes in the neighborhood with our floor plan, I
am hoping to perhaps build the pantry again and again and.... I just
need to show it off now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
The 26
drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers that I built
this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

98 drawers, eh? You would think that the women folk would run out of
things to
put in those numerous drawers.

Heh, that's a good one. You were joking, right? :-)

No kidding, I did similar small drawers in out other house but only 10
and those were filled in short order. That was in addition to the 8
regular drawers and 3, 36" wide drawers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes
in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in
pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase
could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing
pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished
the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her
kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98 drawers
that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

I'm gonna tell your wife that you have women everywhere getting into
your drawers, boy. That'll teach you to brag.

That would not be a problem, I am getting away with inviting all of the
neighborhood ladies to come see the towers bedroom project. ;~)
There is an elderly lady 4 houses down that brags about me inviting her
to come to see "his" bedroom. It is a lot of fun seeing their faces
when I invite them to the bedroom. ;~)

My favorite shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Did you see that step stool??? LOL. Symmetry was a big factor, those
will probably be back up storage and or stuff that might be seasonal.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Nope, they are normally orientated drawers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2011 7:15 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes
in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in
pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase
could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing
pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished
the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her
kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98
drawers that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

My favorite shots:

But...but...but there's no melamine board

No, LOL the less than pretty parts would be the birch plywood drawer
bottoms and the backs of the lower cabinets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2011 10:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/10/2011 7:20 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Nice job Leon, nice pulls, nice contrast in colors.

I was looking at the other photos in your album. The quilted box caught
my eye, because when I look at the unfinished version it looks very
flat, but the finished version has radiused edges on the pieces. Was the
unfinished not glued, and just set in place? I like the effect of the
radiused edges, nice work.

Thank you! Correct observations on the finished quilted box but the
pieces were in fact glued in place. I sorat kinda like the flat piece
look also.

Ohhhhhh, yes, again, the pieces were NOT glued in place until after the
round over, and finish was applied.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I was kidding, but that would be a cool twist on the design. I guess a
guy with the skills to build that pantry could whip up a rolling ladder
in a trice...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Heh heh heh.

My favorite shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Did you see that step stool??? LOL. Symmetry was a big factor, those
will probably be back up storage and or stuff that might be seasonal.

Glasses that your inlaws gave you, eh?

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Missed the short set of steps on the far end, did you?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah! Actually I might have a rolling ladder for the study and it's 11'
tall walls.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I did, and I still can't believe 'em.
Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage. This particular house comes
in two styles. A 2 story and a 1 story. The 1 story has a walk in
pantry, the 2 story sacrifices the walk in pantry so that a staircase
could be added. About 15 months ago I began designing a free standing
pantry to place on a 15' long and 11' tall wall. Yesterday I finished
the "Country Style Pantry" and my wife is once again happy with her
kitchen. The 26 drawers that I built for this unit put me at 98
drawers that I built this year. The pantry is 8'x 8'x 16"deep.

My favorite shots:

Nice work Leon - however, I could not get away with that. We have different
definitions of a pantry up here. Gotta have room for cans and boxes on the
shelves, and none of the froo-froo stuff.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/11/2011 7:57 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

That fluff stuff is about 78" from the floor. You really would not want
to put food up high and out of reach.. LOL
Bulk items are hidden below.

Thank you!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote the following:

How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Missed the short set of steps on the far end, did you?

I did, and I still can't believe 'em.
Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

Looky here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

Now look to the right end of the cabinet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote the following:

How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Missed the short set of steps on the far end, did you?

I did, and I still can't believe 'em.
Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

Looky here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

Now look to the right end of the cabinet.

Oh, I saw them when they were pointed out to me, Leon. But most women
wouldn't allow something as ugly and pedestrian as steps in their
precious kitchen! Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Oh, I saw them when they were pointed out to me, Leon. But most women
wouldn't allow something as ugly and pedestrian as steps in their
precious kitchen! Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

While I made a 2-step stepstool to reach up to otherwise inaccessible
areas, it lives in the mudroom on the "park side" of our house. In the
kitchen on the street side we have a kickstep roll-about stepstool that
we special-ordered through Goodman's Hardware before it sadly closed
(pancreatic cancer of owner).

To me, well worth the investment - lightweight, sturdy and you can kick
it around when you have your hands full, as when putting away groceries.

https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&s...hrome&ie=UTF-8
&q=kick+step#q=kick+step&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=u niv&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X
&ei=8yHmTtmvKMrv0gGh7ODxBQ&ved=
0CJMBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=f5 2664628855b283&biw=1019
&bih=628
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/85e8xol

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote the following:

How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Missed the short set of steps on the far end, did you?

I did, and I still can't believe 'em.
Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

Looky here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

Now look to the right end of the cabinet.

Maybe you can make another identical set and put them on the other side
of the cabinet so they look like part of the cabinet.
That way, both of you can access the drawers at the same time.
Otherwise, get rid of them and use a kitchen chair to get up there like
the rest of us do. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Dec 2011 15:49:49 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Oh, I saw them when they were pointed out to me, Leon. But most women
wouldn't allow something as ugly and pedestrian as steps in their
precious kitchen! Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

While I made a 2-step stepstool to reach up to otherwise inaccessible
areas, it lives in the mudroom on the "park side" of our house. In the
kitchen on the street side we have a kickstep roll-about stepstool that
we special-ordered through Goodman's Hardware before it sadly closed
(pancreatic cancer of owner).

You're one of the few men in the country whose wife will let a set of
steps or ladder get anywhere near their PROTECTED AREA, the kitchen.
You should feel grateful. titter

To me, well worth the investment - lightweight, sturdy and you can kick
it around when you have your hands full, as when putting away groceries.

I keep a 2-step folder in the utility room next to the kitchen since I
use it very, very seldom.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote the following:

How does one see into the top four, hmm?

Missed the short set of steps on the far end, did you?

I did, and I still can't believe 'em.
Sacre bleu, eet joost eezn't doone!

Looky here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0362/lightbox/

Now look to the right end of the cabinet.

Maybe you can make another identical set and put them on the other side
of the cabinet so they look like part of the cabinet.
That way, both of you can access the drawers at the same time.
Otherwise, get rid of them and use a kitchen chair to get up there like
the rest of us do. :-)

LOL. That step stool is kinda heavy, solid white oak. I drag out the
kitchen chair when my wife is not looking. She likes to put her
seasonal fluff on the step stool steps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I keep a 2-step folder in the utility room next to the kitchen since I
use it very, very seldom.

Same here. But if my wife wants something from a tall shelf, she gets me to
reach it for her. She tells her girlfriends that she married me because I
am tall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/10/2011 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage.

I just wanted to tell you I think your piece is absolutely stunning.
If you are at all interested in being an author, you should probably
send your photos to a magazine or two.

Bill (from Indiana)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/12/2011 11:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 12/10/2011 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage.

I just wanted to tell you I think your piece is absolutely stunning.
If you are at all interested in being an author, you should probably
send your photos to a magazine or two.

Bill (from Indiana)

Well Thank you Bill!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

You're one of the few men in the country whose wife will let a set of
steps or ladder get anywhere near their PROTECTED AREA, the kitchen.

In this house, the kitchen is MINE.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

In , Larry Jaques
wrote:

You're one of the few men in the country whose wife will let a set of
steps or ladder get anywhere near their PROTECTED AREA, the kitchen.

In this house, the kitchen is MINE.

Your feet must be smaller than hers ;-)

- Doug

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/12/2011 11:45 AM, Bill wrote:
On 12/10/2011 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:
As many of you know my wife and I had a new home built with my 3 car
shop and her upstairs quilting studio. The only real thing lacking in
this new home was kitchen pantry storage.

I just wanted to tell you I think your piece is absolutely stunning.
If you are at all interested in being an author, you should probably
send your photos to a magazine or two.

I agree ... and I actually got to 'tush' it! Photos do not do it justice.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010