Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A new bed project completed

As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my
son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for
the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top
right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my
son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for
the single layer with 9 drawers.

Before seeing the pics, I was curious to see how you arranged 9 drawers.
After seeing the pics, I guess the 9th drawer is in the typo. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/11 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my
son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for
the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top
right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Stunning! Great work.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 9:37 AM, willshak wrote:
Leon wrote the following:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted
for the single layer with 9 drawers.

Before seeing the pics, I was curious to see how you arranged 9 drawers.
After seeing the pics, I guess the 9th drawer is in the typo. :-)

No there are 9 drawers, the two false slots at the headboard would be
hard to open if you have night stands near the headboard so they are
false. The remaining 3 shots working towards the foot board each have 3
drawers. I never could see wasting the middle of the bed so I put
drawers there also. Note however one of the outer drawers has to be
removed to access the hidden center drawer. Good location for hiding
stuff or seasonal items.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 9:40 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/10/11 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my
son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for
the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top
right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Stunning! Great work.

Thank you Mike. Wanna help move it? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted
for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2
weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the
top right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...21576276272664
36/

Fantastic! Especially since now I know about the 9 drawers ... grin

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 10, 9:42*am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
As many of you may remember, the *bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. *:!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my
son. *He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for
the single layer with 9 drawers. *This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! *It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top
right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...-7215762762726...

Lemme get this straight... when one demonstrates his ability to score
a really good deal, it becomes a 'drive-by' gloat.
We all pipe up and tell that person: "YOU SUCK!!"

This blatant display of technique and skill is also a gloat, IHNSHO.

So... YOU SUCK is applicable here.

Brilliant work, boss.... *takes a bow*
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
[...]

Great idea. Good place to hide the Playboy mags. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
[...]

and Lee Valley catalogs. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:42:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Nice layout of contrasting woods. What was your choice for finishing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my
son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for
the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might
want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top
right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/11 1:42 PM, Bill wrote:

Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might
want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

but think of all the threads you could start here talking about it. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 10:47 AM, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Ditto!

I actually got to 'touched' it ... disgusting amount of talent this boy
has!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:54:25 -0400, FrozenNorth
Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might
want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

but think of all the threads you could start here talking about it. :-)

Nah. After six months of the same thread, we'd toss him out on his
butt. It's cardinal rule #6 for rec.woodworking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for my
son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted for
the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and foot
board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top
right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Looks nice. The two contrasting woods will really stand out. It must be
nice to have a dad to make things for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thank you sir. I now have to design/rescale the same bed for a full
size. Neighbor has been wanting one for his son and I think this bed
pushed him over the edge. If'n he can swallow the price I give him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 1:11 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Ah,now I'm blushing.... Thank you Swingman!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Nice layout of contrasting woods. What was your choice for finishing?

Thank you!

The finish is Lawrence McFadden, Oil based Gel Varnish. No longer
available, they went out of business about 2 years ago. I was lucky
enough to have gotten 8 quarts just before they folded. They were the
Gibson guitar company finish supplier at one time, they were an old
family owned business that bought out Bartley's gel finishes and
supplied many musical instrument manufacturers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 1:49 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:54:25 -0400, FrozenNorth
Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might
want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

but think of all the threads you could start here talking about it. :-)

Nah. After six months of the same thread, we'd toss him out on his
butt. It's cardinal rule #6 for rec.woodworking.

Dang! I did not realize how close I was to getting the boot when I was
building the tower/bedroom project last year! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 2:10 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted
for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the top
right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Looks nice. The two contrasting woods will really stand out. It must be
nice to have a dad to make things for you.

Thank you! But my dad was mostly only moral support! ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 14:36:32 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted
for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

If I may hazard a guess, you would have used the Domino for most of
the construction. If that guess is correct, I'd say that (in your case
anyway) it has taken over much of the day to day builds that you do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 14:50:31 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
Dang! I did not realize how close I was to getting the boot when I was
building the tower/bedroom project last year! LOL

Ok, that's it. You just went over the six month limit. You're gone
buddy. g
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and
opted for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5
1/2 weeks.
The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the
top right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Looks great! I especially like the attention you paid to pulls & caps.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and opted
for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5 1/2 weeks.

If I may hazard a guess, you would have used the Domino for most of
the construction. If that guess is correct, I'd say that (in your case
anyway) it has taken over much of the day to day builds that you do.

I used the domino on all the top oak stiles/slats on the head and foot
boards, to attach the foot and head board panels to the outer legs, to
assemble the walnut face frames on the bed platform/drawer unit and to
rein=force the rabbit joints on all of the drawers.
In all approximately 210 floating tenons, 420 mortises.

I cut stub tenon and slots for the false drawer fronts and the panels
for the head and foot boards.

There is hardly a project that the Domino does not come out. ;~)
I would replace it in a heart beat if something happened to it.

Yuh hear that Swingman? LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 2:58 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Leon wrote:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and
opted for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5
1/2 weeks.
The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the
top right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Looks great! I especially like the attention you paid to pulls& caps.

Thank you! and thank you again for noticing the pulls and caps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote the following:
[...]

No, No, No! They belong in the outer drawers. along with the manuals for
the various tools.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:58:53 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Leon wrote:
As many of you may remember, the bedroom tower/bed project that I was
building last year was eventually completed. :!)

I just completed a similar queen sized bed with under bed storage for
my son. He however did not want the double layer of drawers and
opted for the single layer with 9 drawers. This job only took me 5
1/2 weeks.
The storage area is basically the same however I changed the head and
foot board design and changed the hard woods to walnut and white oak.

Have a look! It is a slide show, just click the next button at the
top right side of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

Looks great! I especially like the attention you paid to pulls & caps.

+1.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 9/10/11 1:42 PM, Bill wrote:

Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might
want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

but think of all the threads you could start here talking about it. :-)

I have little doubt that there's are more than a fair number of lessons
built into that project. After I finish my lighting I'll start
something easy, like a workbench. I'll let you know if I run into any
difficulties sharpening my planes. I may have to turn one of them into a
scrub plane. At The Woodworking Show(s) a fellow from Lee Valley kindly
showed me a bit. It's likely I'll be able to come up with something to
post.

I applied 3 buckets of "hot mud" today. I tried to stretch the second
bucket a bit too far, and ended up scraping a bunch of it off the wall.
So the little bit of wisdom I have for anyone who has read this far is
"don't try to stretch it too much". Somebody can probably start their
own thread with that...LOL.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:48:40 -0400, Bill
wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 9/10/11 1:42 PM, Bill wrote:

Wow (nice)! Considering all of the drawers, etcetera, I think I might
want about 5 1/2 years to complete a project like that.

but think of all the threads you could start here talking about it. :-)

I have little doubt that there's are more than a fair number of lessons
built into that project. After I finish my lighting I'll start
something easy, like a workbench. I'll let you know if I run into any
difficulties sharpening my planes. I may have to turn one of them into a
scrub plane. At The Woodworking Show(s) a fellow from Lee Valley kindly
showed me a bit. It's likely I'll be able to come up with something to
post.

I applied 3 buckets of "hot mud" today. I tried to stretch the second

What's your def of "hot mud", sir?

bucket a bit too far, and ended up scraping a bunch of it off the wall.
So the little bit of wisdom I have for anyone who has read this far is
"don't try to stretch it too much". Somebody can probably start their
own thread with that...LOL.

Works about as well as those fabled "board stretchers" doesn't it?

P.S: I understand that Leon used -very- little mud in that project.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 9/10/11 1:42 PM, Bill wrote:

[...]

I caulked a bunch before painting it. ;!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:09:31 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:
There is hardly a project that the Domino does not come out. ;~)
I would replace it in a heart beat if something happened to it.

Then, let me guess. For those instances where you still currently cut
mortises and tenons for those larger timbers, you've been thinking
about buying the Domino XL 700.

Yuh hear that Swingman? LOL

What's that, an invitation for Swingman to steal yours? Or, maybe it's
a suggestion for Swingman to buy his own so he stops borrowing yours?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/2011 8:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I applied 3 buckets of "hot mud" today. I tried to stretch the second

What's your def of "hot mud", sir?

bucket a bit too far, and ended up scraping a bunch of it off the wall.
So the little bit of wisdom I have for anyone who has read this far is
"don't try to stretch it too much". Somebody can probably start their
own thread with that...LOL.

Works about as well as those fabled "board stretchers" doesn't it?

P.S: I understand that Leon used -very- little mud in that project.

It was fine before I found a small spot I needed to touch up, and the
next thing I knew I was scraping it off (only about 1 ft^3). I think
I've done a pretty fair job of taking a 40 year old garage wall and
repairing all the holes and wear and tear. There was more time involved
than I would have guessed. As long as I'm going to be painting,
I decided I didn't want to have 2 brand new walls and 1 crappy looking
one. And yes, I patched all of the holes in the ceiling too.

It will be nice to get my renovations over with, kinda like a bow-saur I
think. BTW, what was so dang-difficult about a bow-saur? Also, what is
the gizmo that attaches to the cord at the top to the middle of the saw?
I've not seen it on every bow saw, but I've seen it on more than one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill
wrote:

[...]

Oh, lord... Don't mention an unfinished Bowsaur to C-Less!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:00:17 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 9/10/2011 8:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I applied 3 buckets of "hot mud" today. I tried to stretch the second

What's your def of "hot mud", sir?

bucket a bit too far, and ended up scraping a bunch of it off the wall.
So the little bit of wisdom I have for anyone who has read this far is
"don't try to stretch it too much". Somebody can probably start their
own thread with that...LOL.

Works about as well as those fabled "board stretchers" doesn't it?

P.S: I understand that Leon used -very- little mud in that project.

It was fine before I found a small spot I needed to touch up, and the
next thing I knew I was scraping it off (only about 1 ft^3). I think

Square or cubic foot? =:0

I've done a pretty fair job of taking a 40 year old garage wall and
repairing all the holes and wear and tear. There was more time involved
than I would have guessed. As long as I'm going to be painting,
I decided I didn't want to have 2 brand new walls and 1 crappy looking
one. And yes, I patched all of the holes in the ceiling too.

I trust you matched the -texture- perfectly, too?

It will be nice to get my renovations over with, kinda like a bow-saur I

You forget, I never did make that bow saur. Just the prototype and a
start on some of the mahogany frame.

think. BTW, what was so dang-difficult about a bow-saur?

Nuttin' at all. It never was a critical project.

Also, what is
the gizmo that attaches to the cord at the top to the middle of the saw?
I've not seen it on every bow saw, but I've seen it on more than one.

A tensioner stick for winding the tensioning cord. They hold the blade
on the saur.

--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable
one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore,
all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
There is hardly a project that the Domino does not come out. ;~)
I would replace it in a heart beat if something happened to it.

Then, let me guess. For those instances where you still currently cut
mortises and tenons for those larger timbers, you've been thinking
about buying the Domino XL 700.

I naturally would like to see/have the 700, but I am not sure it would
be quite as practical as the 500. I could use the mortiser or use 3-4,
10mm tenons. I wonder when the 700 will be available, I need to build a
large covered deck in my back yard.....

Yuh hear that Swingman? LOL

What's that, an invitation for Swingman to steal yours? Or, maybe it's
a suggestion for Swingman to buy his own so he stops borrowing yours?

Neither! We are in the heated race to out do each other on Festool.
Remember Reagan and Star Wars? LOL

I think he is one up on me concerning tools with tails.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2011 8:47 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/10/2011 11:51 PM, Dave wrote:

Yuh hear that Swingman? LOL

What's that, an invitation for Swingman to steal yours? Or, maybe it's
a suggestion for Swingman to buy his own so he stops borrowing yours?

Neither! We are in the heated race to out do each other on Festool.
Remember Reagan and Star Wars? LOL

I think he is one up on me concerning tools with tails.

Hell, can't exceed you in craftsmanship, gotta have something on you!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

WOW!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2011 3:10 PM, Doug Houseman wrote:
In articleEcudnawGvqxQ9PbTnZ2dnUVZ5gCdnZ2d@giganews. com,
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7627627266436/

WOW!

Thank you. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2011 1:51 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/11/2011 8:47 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/10/2011 11:51 PM, Dave wrote:

Yuh hear that Swingman? LOL

What's that, an invitation for Swingman to steal yours? Or, maybe it's
a suggestion for Swingman to buy his own so he stops borrowing yours?

Neither! We are in the heated race to out do each other on Festool.
Remember Reagan and Star Wars? LOL

I think he is one up on me concerning tools with tails.

Hell, can't exceed you in craftsmanship, gotta have something on you!

Humph! Look around your home.... all kinds of stuff I would love to
call mine. FURNITURE!....