Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:51:46 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote:

RAS should be O U T L A W E D ! !

Why should it? I've never understood the antipathy that many guys here have
toward radial arm saws. One person used to call them "radical harm saws"

I've seen radial arm saws that weren't aligned correctly, and that had
missing guards. They ARE dangerous. It's all correctible, and I've
corrected one or two.

Table saws, likewise.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2011 3:31 PM, Nova wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:58:25 -0500, wrote:

It just pains me to the core to see old timbers go under the wrecking
ball that are perfect inside needing only a little TLC to remove the
foreign material and resurface or resaw...

I saw a couple of old houses being demolished in Buffalo the other
day. I was pleased to see how they were doing it. The organization is
"Buffalo Reuse". See:

http://www.buffaloreuse.org/GreenDem...reenDemolition

Kewl...

Was too young back then to have thought of their expedient... (or
more like it) altho access would have a trick where the particular house
was located w/ large equipment like shown there. But it's the trick for
speeding up the demo but still have mostly salvageable stuff in the end.
Hate to see the old plaster castings/carvings in ceilings, cornices,
etc., get destroyed as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 7, 2011 1:39:39 PM UTC-4, Edward A. Falk wrote:
I mainly use my girlfriend's Makita 5277B, it totally rocks.

I would trust Milwaukee or Porter Cable any day.

Alas, the passage of time changes the qualities of
our favorite brands. I've seen two killer faults in circular
saws (corded), which are plastic frames (if the soleplate
isn't metal-to-metal at the pivot, do NOT buy that saw),
and aggressive bladeguards. Both made straight cuts
nearly impossible, and plunge cuts dangerous.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/10/2011 8:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:34:02 -0400, Robatoy

I just wish you could realize that it empowers them and bothers the
rest of us. We just want them to go away and they won't as long as
some are giving them airtime.grumble,grumble Damned enabler!

I think what "we" might dislike even more is the tattle tale net nanny.

Your tag line below makes a lot of sense. Don't be afraid of the troll.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.woodworking

Trolling is in the eye of the reader and each post needs to be evaluated
under it's own merit.

Trolls are mostly created and not born. Many have been created here. When we
**** people off with snark they retort, all differently mind you.

Usually for every bully there is at least one troll.

--------------

"Leon" wrote in message
I think what "we" might dislike even more is the tattle tale net nanny.

Your tag line below makes a lot of sense. Don't be afraid of the troll.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2011 2:15 PM, dpb wrote:

What I still covet is a 16" or larger Crescent or similar old jointer;...

_Just_KNEW_ shouldn't have mentioned that; that got me to drooling again...

http://www.mlsmachinery.com/onlinecatalog/imagesFrameset.asp?id=26354&pic=2&size=0

I asked for a quote; we'll see what they say...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 11, 9:56*am, dpb wrote:
On 8/10/2011 2:15 PM, dpb wrote:

What I still covet is a 16" or larger Crescent or similar old jointer;....

_Just_KNEW_ shouldn't have mentioned that; that got me to drooling again....

http://www.mlsmachinery.com/onlinecatalog/imagesFrameset.asp?id=26354....

I asked for a quote; we'll see what they say...

--

When you see 3 belts driving a cutterhead, something serious is about
to happen. G
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/11/2011 10:10 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 11, 9:56 am, wrote:
On 8/10/2011 2:15 PM, dpb wrote:

What I still covet is a 16" or larger Crescent or similar old jointer;...

_Just_KNEW_ shouldn't have mentioned that; that got me to drooling again...

http://www.mlsmachinery.com/onlinecatalog/imagesFrameset.asp?id=26354...

I asked for a quote; we'll see what they say...

--

When you see 3 belts driving a cutterhead, something serious is about
to happen.G
The SIZE of that beast!
So... they're going to ship it UPS?

Yeah, they'll just load the UPS truck on the semi, no problem...

From FL out here will have to enter in to the picture for sure. I
bought a JLG 40H 40-ft boom manlift the year came back to the farm owing
to needing the reroof job on it and the house plus several other high
jobs could see including trees. Broker was in FL while machine outside
Chicago--he had arrangement w/ private trucking and guaranteed it for
$600--ended up costing $800 but he kept his bargain. It weighed about
12k lb and took up most of the load; if they can find shared load one of
these is probably about 2000lb and doesn't take up much space so
shouldn't be _too_ bad but it's been a while since I've shipped
something sizable; fuel surcharges have to be a factor.

I've not heard on this one; they sent a $3500 quote for a 12" Crescent
w/ a "make an offer" disclaimer. I'm sure I'll manage to fight off the
urge, but it's a temptation, sure...

BTW, they've a nice-looking 16" General up north closer to you; somebody
has even retrofitted it for single-phase...

http://www.mlsmachineryusa.com/onlineCatalog/details.asp?cat=1270&auct=0&liq=0&id=25925&p=1&rpp =10

That'll prep some stock for the carver...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 11, 9:56 am, *wrote:
On 8/10/2011 2:15 PM, dpb wrote:

What I still covet is a 16" or larger Crescent or similar old jointer;...

_Just_KNEW_ shouldn't have mentioned that; that got me to drooling again...

http://www.mlsmachinery.com/onlinecatalog/imagesFrameset.asp?id=26354...

I asked for a quote; we'll see what they say...

--

When you see 3 belts driving a cutterhead, something serious is about
to happen.G
The SIZE of that beast!
So... they're going to ship it UPS?

Yeah, they'll just load the UPS truck on the semi, no problem...

*From FL out here will have to enter in to the picture for sure. *I
[...]

Awww maaaan..... they have CNC's too......
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 07:36:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 8/10/2011 8:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:34:02 -0400, Robatoy

I just wish you could realize that it empowers them and bothers the
rest of us. We just want them to go away and they won't as long as
some are giving them airtime.grumble,grumble Damned enabler!

I think what "we" might dislike even more is the tattle tale net nanny.

OMG, you're right. I've turned into that Cherman guy who bailed a few
years ago, haven't I? OK, I'll shut up.

Your tag line below makes a lot of sense. Don't be afraid of the troll.

It's not fear. It's merely the persistant annoyance of a yapping,
ankle-biter, mini-dog. Ya just gotta hate 'em.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/11/2011 8:16 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Aug 11, 6:35 pm, wrote:

BTW, they've a nice-looking 16" General up north closer to you; somebody
has even retrofitted it for single-phase...

http://www.mlsmachineryusa.com/onlineCatalog/details.asp?cat=1270&auc...

That'll prep some stock for the carver...

--

Awww maaaan..... they have CNC's too......

Go for it...you know you _need_ it.