Larry Wolfrum

Default Circular saw recommendations

I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed model
would
be useful.

Larry

Lew Hodgett

"Larry Wolfrum" writes:
I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations.

snip

If you are a framing contractor, tough to beat the 77.

If not, consider one of the battery powered panel saws.

Had my 77 stolen, on a lark, replaced it with an 18 VDC DeWalt panel saw.

I've never looked back.

HTH

Lew

C & S

I am right-handed and use the lefty PC (I think the model is 734).

I'm not a bit cirular saw user (at least wasn't until I built my addition).
I really like the lefty, but then I did not have to undo 25 years of
training. My brother in law has the same saw, but the righty one.

He was well-indoctrinated into right-handed-saws. I think using mine bugged
him a bit.

With a lefty you can see the cut much more clearly because the motor is out
of the way. The tradeoff is the the motor is over the waste side of the cut,
so you have to "hold" the saw in balance as you complete a cut.

The PC is also lighter than most of the saws in that range (probably 1 less
amp and 1.5 fewer lbs, a trade-off that suits me just fine).

Cheers,

Steve

"Larry Wolfrum" wrote in message
I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a

Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed

model
would
be useful.

Larry

Dave Jackson

I've owned the DW 368K for several years. It's the same saw as the 369
except the 369 has a composite shoe. I've also used the PC, it to is a fine
saw. No experience with the Milwaukee. I chose the DW over the PC because
i don't like the where the tube that discharges the sawdust is located.
Sometimes when cutting, the sawdust exiting the PC through the tube seems to
get blown back into my face more than on the rear discharge DW, especially
on a windy day. Although either saw will serve you well and both are a
good choice IMHO. --dave

"Larry Wolfrum" wrote in message
I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a
Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed
model
would
be useful.

Larry

Maverick

"Larry Wolfrum" wrote in message
I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a
Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed
model
would
be useful.

Larry

I believe I would finish out my carpentry career using a coping saw before I
would buy another DeWalt.

--
Surely, maturity will guide one to understand
the absence of a response to personal attacks.

Maverick

jack

December issue of Fine Homebuilding just had a review of circ saws. Perhaps
it might help your decision.

BTW, have a bosch cs20. really nice saw.

"Larry Wolfrum" wrote in message
I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a

Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed

model
would
be useful.

Larry

Norman D. Crow

"C & S" wrote in message
I am right-handed and use the lefty PC (I think the model is 734).

I'm not a bit cirular saw user (at least wasn't until I built my

addition).
I really like the lefty, but then I did not have to undo 25 years of
training. My brother in law has the same saw, but the righty one.

He was well-indoctrinated into right-handed-saws. I think using mine

bugged
him a bit.

With a lefty you can see the cut much more clearly because the motor is

out
of the way. The tradeoff is the the motor is over the waste side of the

cut,
so you have to "hold" the saw in balance as you complete a cut.

See, you're still fighting the right blade thinking. I love my PC lefty, but
I'm still learning to think left handed. Plan your cut from the other end of
the board so you're holding the cut-off in your left hand, and the saw is
still on the part supported by the saw horses.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

LRod

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 05:33:14 GMT, "Larry Wolfrum"
wrote:

I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for recommendations.

The models that appear to be in the running a Milwaukee 6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left
handed model would be useful.

There's hardly anything Milwaukee that's bad. Porter-Cable circular
saws are good, too, although I can't speak to their most recent
models.

What kind of sawing are you going to do? If heavy duty, day in/day out
framing, then you'll definitely want a 7¼" saw. But if you're looking
at less duty, around the shop, for example, the P-C 345 SawBoss is a
delight (left hand blade--see discussion below). It's only limitation
is the 6" blades can be harder to find as they aren't stocked
everywhere like 7¼" blades are.

Left vs right. If you're cutting framing and you're right handed,
stick to the right hand blade, like you've been doing. The saw sits on
the work while the cutoff falls away. If you're cutting sheet goods
(and you're right handed), it definitely is handier to have the sight
line in front of you. If you're left handed, reverse the above.

If you're cutting a lot of sheet goods on a job, you'll definitely
want to think worm drive, but if you're in this category, a worm drive
is probably only one of the two or three saws you'll want.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Tyke

This year I replaced my old Craftsman circular saw with a DW364. I wanted
something with a larger shoe plate for use with a clamp-on guide.

I looked at the various manufacturers, and choose the DeWalt DW364, even
though I normally buy Bosch tools.

I am also a lefty, but prefer to have the cutting edge in my view and so did
not want a "left hand" saw.

I was also looking for a saw with an electronic brake.

I have been very happy with the DW364. Lots of power, seems to be well
constructed. I like the shoe pivot design which has a depth-of-cut scale.
Saves time in measuring depth of cut.

Dave Paine.

"Larry Wolfrum" wrote in message
I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a

Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed

model
would
be useful.

Larry

DarylRos

Far more expensive, but also far superior is the Festool. I don't have one, but
I've used it. It's probably twice the price of any other; it's also more than
twice the quality.
Leon

"Larry Wolfrum" wrote in message
Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed model
would
be useful.

Larry

Yeah, don't unless you are going to be using your left hand to cut material.
The whole idea of having the left hand model if for left handed use. You
will end up with more saw dust in your face if using a left hand model right
handed. The left handed people had this problem using right handed saws.

MP Toolman

Hi,
I'd have to go find a catalog to figure out what the current Dewalt equivalent
is, but I really like my Black & Decker Super Saw Cat. As far as I know, it is
the only saw family with a rear pivot depth adjustment. I personally like it a
lot better than the more common front pivot.

Mill

I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed model
would
be useful.

Larry

Bruce

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:33:14 -0700, Larry Wolfrum wrote
(in article ):

I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for
recommendations. The models that appear to be in the running a Milwaukee
6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed
saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left handed model
would
be useful.

Larry

I've owned the Milwaukee for about 5 years (replaced a B&D POS). The
difference between a cheap saw and a good saw is amazing! You can't go wrong
just by upgrading.

I've only done a small amount of framing, most of the cutting has been panel
stock so I have never used the "tilt" feature of the saw. The grip is perfect
for my hand and the adjustment levers are easy to use and snug.
I have found no faults.

-Bruce

GregP

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:10:37 -0500,
id.com (mare) wrote:

Look at Festool. I recently bought one and it's really a table saw in a
box. With the guide rails that come with it (well you have to pay for
them) I regularly use it for things I used to do on the table saw.

I used to have a DeWalt (stolen) and a Bosch (left in Europe because 22
Volt), but the Festool wins by a big margin.

It *is* pricey though.

I did a rough calculation and came up with $900+ , and that doesn't
include a good-sized table & sacrificial overlay. I'm still thinking
of doing it, but I'm also wondering whether I couldn't build a usable
panel frame with saw for less than that.

Don Foster

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:55:29 -0500, "Bob"
wrote:

I bought a Bosch since I had other tools by them. Got home had no
power cord. They had no more units in stock, bought a PC been very
happy.

Don