WhiteMoth

Default circular saw into table saw?

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive if this has been answered before. I'm
looking to save some money, and some friends have told me that they
converted their hand-held circular saw into a table saw. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of either (a) plans for doing so efficiently and safely, or (b)
a company that makes an inexpensive pre-fab unit where you just plug in the
circular saw. I'm using a 10 inch Black and Decker circular saw.

Thanks,
WM

Mekon

"WhiteMoth" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive if this has been answered before. I'm
looking to save some money, and some friends have told me that they
converted their hand-held circular saw into a table saw. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of either (a) plans for doing so efficiently and safely, or

(b)
a company that makes an inexpensive pre-fab unit where you just plug in

the
circular saw. I'm using a 10 inch Black and Decker circular saw.

Thanks,
WM

Is Triton avaliable where you are?

http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/

This has served me well for years, although it is time to move on now...

Mekon

Mekon

Ernie Jurick

"WhiteMoth" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive if this has been answered before. I'm
looking to save some money, and some friends have told me that they
converted their hand-held circular saw into a table saw. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of either (a) plans for doing so efficiently and safely, or

(b)
a company that makes an inexpensive pre-fab unit where you just plug in

the
circular saw. I'm using a 10 inch Black and Decker circular saw.

Resist the temptation. You'll wind up with a half-assed semi-table saw that
will be far more frustrating and dangerous than it's worth. Save up for a
real one.
-- Ernie

peter

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:15:56 -0400, "WhiteMoth"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive if this has been answered before. I'm
looking to save some money, and some friends have told me that they
converted their hand-held circular saw into a table saw. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of either (a) plans for doing so efficiently and safely, or (b)
a company that makes an inexpensive pre-fab unit where you just plug in the
circular saw. I'm using a 10 inch Black and Decker circular saw.

I used a system like this for several years. It worked to the
extent that the doors and drawers I made fit. The problem is that
such set-ups are a pain to use. You spend a lot of time getting the
settings right. If time is worth money to you, get a real table saw.
You'll come out ahead in the long run.

One other point is that it depends on the work you're doing.
For example, a Triton system is good a cutting plywood because if the
enormous table. It is very poor at cutting smaller pieces percisely.
It will not miter an edge at all.

Depending on your need, there are some inexpensive tablesaws
that work well. For example a Bosch.

Good luck.

Peter

WhiteMoth

Thanks to all who have chimed in on this. I'm still on the fence about it,
because I can see the safety issues. But I was at a friend's house last
night, a professional carpenter, and that's all he has for a table saw. And
he makes some really nice work, and has for years.

One of my main concerns is shop size - I'm working, basically, in a shed,
and just don't have the space for a full-time table saw (well, I do, but it
would have virtually no outfeed area). So the idea of fastening the hand saw
to a board-like structure, which I can then lean against the wall when I'm
done, is appealing. I've looked at a very nice foldaway Ridgid table saw ...
but it's about $500. Which is outta my league right now, since this is just
a hobby.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice ... for the time being, I think I'm
going to stick to projects that don't necessarily require a table saw
(plenty of those).

Cheers,
WM

wrote:

[...]

Steven Bliss

I can't think of many projects that REQUIRE a table saw. But, how else can
you make sawdust SO fast? :-)
Enjoy your hobby. I think more of us should try to build a project now &
then without the use of power tools. Humbling experience, but at least you
can truly say you built it with your own two hands.

wrote:

[...]

rjs

wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive if this has been answered before. I'm
looking to save some money, and some friends have told me that they
converted their hand-held circular saw into a table saw. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of either (a) plans for doing so efficiently and safely, or (b)
a company that makes an inexpensive pre-fab unit where you just plug in the
circular saw. I'm using a 10 inch Black and Decker circular saw.

Taunton press, Fine homebuilding issue # 1 page 22 had an article on
this exact subject. It is out of print but perhaps you can find it in
a library somewhere.
Regards
Bob

WhiteMoth

One more thought on this issue - rather than literally trying to mimic a
table saw, what about mounting the hand saw *right side up*, over a table?
i.e. a bracket that acts as a pair of hands, holding the saw perfectly in
place, while running boards past it? This seems much saver, and perhaps even
more useful (in terms of portability, etc.)

David Binkowski

I don't think theres any danger running boards "past" such a contraption,
as long as none of them come in contact with the blade. :-)

So I installed it on Linux...

"WhiteMoth" wrote in message
One more thought on this issue - rather than literally trying to mimic a
table saw, what about mounting the hand saw *right side up*, over a table?
i.e. a bracket that acts as a pair of hands, holding the saw perfectly in
place, while running boards past it? This seems much saver, and perhaps

even
more useful (in terms of portability, etc.)

Iraxl Enb

I am thinking of taking up woodworking as a hobby, and have been
following this ng for some time now. I wanted to do something
similar to start off also.

One question that I have is that will the circular saws take in
dado blades?

Thanks,
irax.

WhiteMoth wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive if this has been answered before. I'm
looking to save some money, and some friends have told me that they
converted their hand-held circular saw into a table saw. I'm wondering if
anyone knows of either (a) plans for doing so efficiently and safely, or (b)
a company that makes an inexpensive pre-fab unit where you just plug in the
circular saw. I'm using a 10 inch Black and Decker circular saw.

Thanks,
WM

GTO69RA4

You should start a new thread if you have a new question. Anyway, no, I've
never seen a circular saw that could take a dado blade. It sounds like it would
be rather dangerous even if you did.

GTO(John)

I am thinking of taking up woodworking as a hobby, and have been
following this ng for some time now. I wanted to do something
similar to start off also.

One question that I have is that will the circular saws take in
dado blades?

Thanks,
irax.

I remember seeing the IronHorse at Lowes a few years back. Searched for them
online but can find no info on the company. Probably out of business.

If there are any clues on the table itself (ie, company address, parent
company name, etc), please post it here.

Thanks.

"Steven Bliss" wrote in message
m...
There are times when you NEED to use a makeshift saw like that. For
instance, I was stationed in Hawaii where all I had was a carport to work
with. Every time I used the saw, it had to be put back in the storage

shed
at the end of the day, along with all the other tools. I was using one

made
by IronHorse with a Porter Cable 8 1/2" blade. I actually used it for 3
years before moving back across the big pond. Made many a very nice

project
with it. Usually, it was my inexperience that was holding me back, and

not
the quality of the saw! It IS safe, if you use the guards that come with
it, and, of course it was a little troublesome to keep dialed in. The
military only gives you so much weight to move when it comes time to

leave,
so I was glad I didn't have the 300 lb+ saw to deal with...but I made up

for
it with the furniture I built. As a matter of fact, I still have the

table.
Heavy duty enough to use for my sanding station! That saw taught me that
you don't always have to have top of the line tools to make a decent
project. Just have to have the time to work with it!
"Ramsey" wrote in message
Excellent advice Ernie.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:58:09 GMT, "Ernie Jurick"
wrote:

. ..