Steven Bliss

Default circular saw into table saw?

I can't think of many projects that REQUIRE a table saw. But, how else can
you make sawdust SO fast? :-)
Enjoy your hobby. I think more of us should try to build a project now &
then without the use of power tools. Humbling experience, but at least you
can truly say you built it with your own two hands.
"WhiteMoth" wrote in message
Thanks to all who have chimed in on this. I'm still on the fence about it,
because I can see the safety issues. But I was at a friend's house last
night, a professional carpenter, and that's all he has for a table saw.

And
he makes some really nice work, and has for years.

One of my main concerns is shop size - I'm working, basically, in a shed,
and just don't have the space for a full-time table saw (well, I do, but

it
would have virtually no outfeed area). So the idea of fastening the hand

saw
to a board-like structure, which I can then lean against the wall when I'm
done, is appealing. I've looked at a very nice foldaway Ridgid table saw

but it's about $500. Which is outta my league right now, since this is

just
a hobby.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice ... for the time being, I think

I'm
going to stick to projects that don't necessarily require a table saw
(plenty of those).

Cheers,
WM

"peter" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:15:56 -0400, "WhiteMoth"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive if this has been answered before. I'm
looking to save some money, and some friends have told me that they
converted their hand-held circular saw into a table saw. I'm wondering

if
anyone knows of either (a) plans for doing so efficiently and safely,

or
(b)
a company that makes an inexpensive pre-fab unit where you just plug in

the
circular saw. I'm using a 10 inch Black and Decker circular saw.

I used a system like this for several years. It worked to the
extent that the doors and drawers I made fit. The problem is that
such set-ups are a pain to use. You spend a lot of time getting the
settings right. If time is worth money to you, get a real table saw.
You'll come out ahead in the long run.

One other point is that it depends on the work you're doing.
For example, a Triton system is good a cutting plywood because if the
enormous table. It is very poor at cutting smaller pieces percisely.
It will not miter an edge at all.

Depending on your need, there are some inexpensive tablesaws
that work well. For example a Bosch.

Good luck.

Peter