LRod

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 05:33:14 GMT, "Larry Wolfrum"
wrote:

I decided that it's time to replace my old low end Skil circular saw and I
was looking for recommendations.

The models that appear to be in the running a Milwaukee 6390-21,
Porter Cable 324 or the DeWalt 369 CSK. Any and all recommendations and
anecdotes appreciated. Also, I am right handed and have been using a right
handed saw for over 25 years. Any thoughts on switching over to a left
handed model would be useful.

There's hardly anything Milwaukee that's bad. Porter-Cable circular
saws are good, too, although I can't speak to their most recent
models.

What kind of sawing are you going to do? If heavy duty, day in/day out
framing, then you'll definitely want a 7¼" saw. But if you're looking
at less duty, around the shop, for example, the P-C 345 SawBoss is a
delight (left hand blade--see discussion below). It's only limitation
is the 6" blades can be harder to find as they aren't stocked
everywhere like 7¼" blades are.

Left vs right. If you're cutting framing and you're right handed,
stick to the right hand blade, like you've been doing. The saw sits on
the work while the cutoff falls away. If you're cutting sheet goods
(and you're right handed), it definitely is handier to have the sight
line in front of you. If you're left handed, reverse the above.

If you're cutting a lot of sheet goods on a job, you'll definitely
want to think worm drive, but if you're in this category, a worm drive
is probably only one of the two or three saws you'll want.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net