Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On 8/8/2011 8:46 PM, dpb wrote:

[in connection w/ ripping on RAS]

You _are_, I presume, feeding against the rotation and not trying to do
an the equivalent of a climb-cutting operation w/ a router???? Trying
that _WILL_ get you, indeed...

One last comment your experience w/ overfeeding...

NB that the reason for the tendency of the RAS to do so (and probably
the prime reason for the naysayers is a failure to fully comprehend the
nature of the beast in operation and allow for it) is that in normal
crosscutting of starting w/ the head behind the fence and the material
in front for a cross cut, one _is_, in fact, climb cutting. That means
the blade will want to pull the material in but since the fence
restrains it, the head instead tends to want to accelerate towards you
so one must have some restraining force to prevent it from overfeeding
beyond the capacity of the particular saw.

Again, it's just the nature of the beast but it isn't terribly unsafe;
just disconcerting since the path of the blade and the material are
constrained. Just like one shouldn't feed a rip cut on a TS w/ the hand
in front of the blade or put the fingers on the miter box near the
location of the cut, one shouldn't have one's off hand in the way of
where the RAS blade travels on the carriage.

In fact, since moving the carriage on the RAS requires one hand on it
and therefore off the table, one could make the case that the risk of
losing a digit is reduced by at least half in comparison to the TS since
there are only half the number of candidates even potentially in harm's
way.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 8/9/2011 9:04 AM, Leon wrote:

The whole point is, and you your self have made the comment that the
DeWalt/B&D style RAS's are less than desirable. Most users use that
style saw if using a RAS and the users have a valid point about the
problems that are inherent with RAS's.

Because you use a "Tank of a RAS does not mean that there are not
deficiencies in the design.

But the same thing is true about the sorry POS benchtop or contractor
wannabe TS's, too...

It's not the RAS per se, just like it's not the TS; it's the
implementation if anything.

The old DeWalt of Dad's is still here; it would be perfectly adequate as
a hobbyist tool w/ one thing--a more powerful motor. At one time one
could, in fact, swap out the components and do so; I tried to talk Dad
into doing it but he was almost done w/ the house remodel so didn't
think it was worth fooling with and so it's still as it was. I brought
my shop from TN when came back, of course, so it's still out there.
I've not gone to trouble of trying to sort out what have so many
duplicates of or which of the combined set is the better to cull the
herd but at some point really should; I've got stuff in every corner of
every outbuilding on the place...

Somehow the RAS has become the same emblem of the down and out to be
kicked around just like the BORGs; it's a popular position but is mostly
just reiterating the refrain.

I'll retire from the thread; I think I've made my position clear. The
RAS is a fine tool for the purposes to which it is best suited and is a
worthy complement to the TS in almost any shop. I would still recommend
a _good_ TS as the first acquisition for most folks but I'll never
accept the blanket condemnation of the RAS as a device. Criticism of a
specific tool is something different.

--

Well, Pshaw! I'm goin' out tomorrow and get me one of them 16 inchers.
How much do they cost?

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2011 3:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

"Infeed" and "outfeed" are meaningless terms when talking about cross-
cutting on a RAS. It's a lot easier to lay the thing on the RAS table
and prop up the ends with saw horses or stools or a rope tied to the
ceiling than it is to work out some kind of movable or low friction
support for the ends as is needed with a table saw.

I never talked about "infeed" or "outfeed" (intentionally, anyway; I
won't say I didn't write something confusingly inadvertently ); there
I was indending the directions to be those when ripping.

It may be easier for a one-time deal, surely; but the solution (and imo
which isn't so humble ) the only way to have a RAS workstation is to
have it in a long table that supports the largest majority lengths of
material used for both crosscutting and ripping. Mine sits in a 20'
section w/ roughly equal distances both directions. Now granted that's
a little more than most have room for but it now sits in the alleyway of
the barn that's 66 ft unobstructed so it's not a problem. The 20' is
because it fit the full length of the garage wall shop in TN and I've
not enlarged it.

Again, of course, this is a 16" puppy and I had it that size owing to
doing mostly ante- and early post-bellum renovations in Lynchburg, VA,
and surrounding counties when I got it to handle the sizes of materials
we were finding in them.

I'd have been happy w/ a 14 or even 12 but got lucky and an acquaintance
working at the old Lane furniture (then the new production facility was
almost new) got me a deal on this one out of the old facility in Alta Vista.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/9/2011 3:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

"Infeed" and "outfeed" are meaningless terms when talking about cross-
cutting on a RAS. It's a lot easier to lay the thing on the RAS table
and prop up the ends with saw horses or stools or a rope tied to the
ceiling than it is to work out some kind of movable or low friction
support for the ends as is needed with a table saw.

I never talked about "infeed" or "outfeed" (intentionally, anyway; I
won't say I didn't write something confusingly inadvertently ); there
I was indending the directions to be those when ripping.

He who is plonked is a little slow and prides himself when he can find a
statement that can be understood in a way. Helps him think of himself
as an expert. They are in feed and out feed tables as you mentioned,
making the comparison to the TS. As you well know they don't change
names because you happen to use them for cross cutting also.

Did I just say that? ;~0

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Oh yes you did!

I wrote a few lines similar to yours, Leon, but discarded it as there is
no way Clarke will ever stop trying to sound important. If he needs to
split hairs, jerk-off a mosquito to do so, he will. He's all
smoke-and-mirrors and I doubt there's real substance.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2011 5:17 PM, Max wrote:

Well, Pshaw! I'm goin' out tomorrow and get me one of them 16 inchers.
How much do they cost?

If you have to ask...

No idea, as mentioned in another thread, I got lucky on this from an
acquaintance working at Lane.

It looks like Delta makes nothing but the 10" any more; Original Saw
Company still makes industrial-strength (and priced) RAS up to at least
20". If I had to guess I'd say a 16" would run $5K any way, these days
new. Seems like last time I happened to notice a new blade was roughly
$1500...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Like minds... I was backing up dpb on this one, don't care if the
plonked on sees it or not.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2011 7:26 PM, Leon wrote:

Did I just say that? ;~0

Chuckles...speak clearly into the microphone, please...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 8/9/2011 5:17 PM, Max wrote:

Well, Pshaw! I'm goin' out tomorrow and get me one of them 16 inchers.
How much do they cost?

If you have to ask...

No idea, as mentioned in another thread, I got lucky on this from an
acquaintance working at Lane.

It looks like Delta makes nothing but the 10" any more; Original Saw
Company still makes industrial-strength (and priced) RAS up to at least
20". If I had to guess I'd say a 16" would run $5K any way, these days
new. Seems like last time I happened to notice a new blade was roughly
$1500...

--

$1500 just for a blade. I could get a Saw Stop for that much and then I
wouldn't have to worry about ripping, crosscutting or anything

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

If any part of a 2x10 fits onto the infeed or outfeed table on your
table saw it must be an amazingly small saw.

You need an additional support for cross cutting long boards that is
neither infeed nor outfeed but an end support.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

OK, show us a photo of the 2x10 you are squaring touching either the
infeed or outfeed table on your table saw during the cut, schmott guy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Funny thing is, dpb reacted like an adult. Pity you and Robatoy can't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2011 9:08 PM, Max wrote:

's' okay. I just realized I don't have enough room for it anyway. ;-)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 20:59:41 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

Did I just say that? ;~0

Oh yes you did!

I wrote a few lines similar to yours, Leon, but discarded it as there is
no way Clarke will ever stop trying to sound important. If he needs to
split hairs, jerk-off a mosquito to do so, he will. He's all
smoke-and-mirrors and I doubt there's real substance.

And you're giving him airtime...why?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

I'm going to tag on to my own post - because I'm ****ed. **** every
one of you that delight in describing "morons" and "pimple faced
kids" and all of the other terms that are commonly found here when
talking about the BORGS. Most of you are more full of **** than the
people you deride. I am one of those BORG people and yeah - I'm
spouting off because I've reached my limit. I see more stupid ****
posted here than I hear spoken in the store on any given day.
There's just way too much self-importance here in this group - and I
don't care what you've done in your career. I've seen a lot of very
successful people with great skills and accomplishments, who indeed
deserve recoginition, but at the same time, think too much of
themselves. This group has way too many of those.

--------------------------
Feel better Mike?G

Lew

Yeah...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 21:14:34 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
Steve Turner wrote:

If a professional
quality RAS is as useless as a lot of people here would have us
believe, I'd like to see
what every home center and lumber yard would do if you tried to
take theirs away.

The RAS at Home Despot has so many safety devices attached to it
that you can hardly tell it is a RAS. Trap doors, sliding
things.... I guess somehow, the industrial safety crowd thought it
was dangerous 'as is'. They then felt compelled to deal with the
morons and 'safety-ise' the bejeezus out of that RAS.

Morons? Two letters come to mind...

I'm going to tag on to my own post - because I'm ****ed. **** every
one of you that delight in describing "morons" and "pimple faced
kids" and all of the other terms that are commonly found here when
talking about the BORGS. Most of you are more full of **** than the
people you deride. I am one of those BORG people and yeah - I'm
spouting off because I've reached my limit. I see more stupid ****
posted here than I hear spoken in the store on any given day.
There's just way too much self-importance here in this group - and I
don't care what you've done in your career. I've seen a lot of very
successful people with great skills and accomplishments, who indeed
deserve recoginition, but at the same time, think too much of
themselves. This group has way too many of those.

I'd imagine that you're trepidacious around mirrors, eh, Mike?

Not at all Larry.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ocal,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

You can't read my posts. Henceforth, I don't know what you're talking
about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Did I just say that? ;~0

Oh yes you did!

I wrote a few lines similar to yours, Leon, but discarded it as there is
no way Clarke will ever stop trying to sound important. If he needs to
split hairs, jerk-off a mosquito to do so, he will. He's all
smoke-and-mirrors and I doubt there's real substance.

And you're giving him airtime...why?

It's a weakeness, I have, C-less. I like poking at pompous posers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

In article ocal,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article , lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 8/9/2011 7:08 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

You can't read my posts.

I can't? What is preventing me?

Henceforth, I don't know what you're talking
about.

That has been abundantly clear for some time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Did I just say that? ;~0

Oh yes you did!

I wrote a few lines similar to yours, Leon, but discarded it as there is
no way Clarke will ever stop trying to sound important. If he needs to
split hairs, jerk-off a mosquito to do so, he will. He's all
smoke-and-mirrors and I doubt there's real substance.

And you're giving him airtime...why?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Mostly to antagonize you. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ocal,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Like minds... I was backing up dpb on this one, don't care if the
plonked on sees it or not.

Funny thing is, dpb reacted like an adult. Pity you and Robatoy can't.

You can't read my posts.

I can't? What is preventing me?

Henceforth, I don't know what you're talking
about.

That has been abundantly clear for some time.

Read it again. I do not know what YOU are talking about.... and that's
okay by me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:34:02 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:

Did I just say that? ;~0

Oh yes you did!

I wrote a few lines similar to yours, Leon, but discarded it as there is
no way Clarke will ever stop trying to sound important. If he needs to
split hairs, jerk-off a mosquito to do so, he will. He's all
smoke-and-mirrors and I doubt there's real substance.

And you're giving him airtime...why?

It's a weakeness, I have, C-less. I like poking at pompous posers.

I just wish you could realize that it empowers them and bothers the
rest of us. We just want them to go away and they won't as long as
some are giving them airtime. grumble,grumble Damned enabler!

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/9/2011 9:08 PM, Max wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

... If I had to guess I'd say a 16" would run $5K any way,
these days new. Seems like last time I happened to notice a new blade
was roughly $1500...

$1500 just for a blade. I could get a Saw Stop for that much and then I
wouldn't have to worry about ripping, crosscutting or anything
's' okay. I just realized I don't have enough room for it anyway. ;-)

A quick search didn't find a distributor w/ online prices listed for the
larger OSC saws but a 2000 review of the 10" in FWW had it listed for
$2500 or thereabouts; I've probably underestimated the larger based on that.

I did see that Freud and some of the others now have 16" blades in the
$100+ price range; I guess the larger cutoff saws have generated some
demand. I might have to explore what is now available; I'm still using
the same blades I got with it originally; they're much heavier than what
one is used to; almost like a (very) small sawmill blade. Hence, at the
rate a small shop uses them up they can be resharpened almost
indefinitely unless one were really, really abusing one with highly
abrasive woods or huge amounts of dirt or foreign objects in reclaimed
material.

That was the hardest on blades in VA; we tried to reuse as much original
material as possible from those old places and would also buy or dive
material from scrap of others that were being razed or gutted by those
who didn't try to refurb but just built new inside the old structures(+)
as raw material sources for those we were refurbishing/restoring.

(+) We tried once bidding the demolition on one of these w/ the idea we
would retrieve instead of just demolish and lost our shirts. The
contract had a time performance penalty and in the end to meet it it was
either go to the demolish route or hire so much extra labor to salvage
what we needed that it didn't pay. It was almost heartbreaking to
see what went to burn piles out of some those places...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2011 9:04 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/9/2011 9:08 PM, Max wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

... If I had to guess I'd say a 16" would run $5K any way,
these days new. Seems like last time I happened to notice a new blade
was roughly $1500...

$1500 just for a blade. I could get a Saw Stop for that much and then I
wouldn't have to worry about ripping, crosscutting or anything
's' okay. I just realized I don't have enough room for it anyway. ;-)

A quick search didn't find a distributor w/ online prices listed for the
larger OSC saws but a 2000 review of the 10" in FWW had it listed for
$2500 or thereabouts; I've probably underestimated the larger based on
that.

Well, not _too_ badly...

http://www.tools-plus.com/original-saw-3541.html

(Of course, this is just the "entry-level" model... )

If one really were looking for larger RAS, the place is the used market;
they really don't bring top dollar. Of course, you'll generally need
3-phase power or a converter; very few industrial will have single-phase
motors just as most Unisaurs or PM66 or other gear from such sites will
be. Still, for equivalent $$ one can get a lot of machine.

What I still covet is a 16" or larger Crescent or similar old jointer; I
just don't do enough work to justify it any longer. A local shop in
Lynchburg would give us evening/night access to theirs...what a joy to
surface an old 3x12 or such salvaged old-growth beam in a single pass on
the way to turning it into panels or other architectural details...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 10, 3:15*pm, dpb wrote:
On 8/10/2011 9:04 AM, dpb wrote:

On 8/9/2011 9:08 PM, Max wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

[...]

I, for one, just love old timber wood and water-logged salvaged wood.
This link might interest you.

http://www.aquatimber.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 10, 3:23*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ocal,
*"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Did I just say that? *;~0

Oh yes you did!

I wrote a few lines similar to yours, Leon, but discarded it as there is
no way Clarke will ever stop trying to sound important. If he needs to
split hairs, jerk-off a mosquito to do so, he will. He's all
smoke-and-mirrors and I doubt there's real substance.

And you're giving him airtime...why?

It's a weakeness, I have, C-less. I like poking at pompous posers.

Not rising to the bait. *Try harder.

But you just did........ and, at the same time verified your label.

So you admit that you're just trolling. Must be sad to be so lonely that
you have to do that to get anybody to talk to you.

But YOU are talking to me, and that's all I want... *swoon*... and a
certified pompous poser to boot!
You made my day.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 10, 3:23*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article ocal,
*"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Did I just say that? *;~0

Oh yes you did!

I wrote a few lines similar to yours, Leon, but discarded it as there is
no way Clarke will ever stop trying to sound important. If he needs to
split hairs, jerk-off a mosquito to do so, he will. He's all
smoke-and-mirrors and I doubt there's real substance.

And you're giving him airtime...why?

It's a weakeness, I have, C-less. I like poking at pompous posers.

Not rising to the bait. *Try harder.

But you just did........ and, at the same time verified your label.

So you admit that you're just trolling. Must be sad to be so lonely that
you have to do that to get anybody to talk to you.

Project much? Personally, I have plenty of people who talk to me on a
regular basis without any of them being a nit-picky OCD-suffering anal
retentive loner. And a nit-picky OCD-suffering anal retentive loner
you are, oh yes you are..... Did you know that anybody with a big
moustache like yours usually has something to hide? Or maybe it
functions as a shock-absorber? Not that there is anything wrong with
that....

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2011 2:28 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I, for one, just love old timber wood and water-logged salvaged wood.
This link might interest you.

http://www.aquatimber.com/

Hadn't seen that particular one, thanks...there are several.

In the US SE there's quite a lot of cypress and SYP being reclaimed the
same way; lesser amounts of other hardwoods (obviously, given the
indigenous species).

It just pains me to the core to see old timbers go under the wrecking
ball that are perfect inside needing only a little TLC to remove the
foreign material and resurface or resaw...

Heck, I save every old tuba-X from the old sheds and barn addition and
everything else out here and will eventually use most of it
somewhere...it's only 100 yr-old (roughly) SYP but there are 18- and
20-ft 2x6 w/o a knot or more than very small ones all over...

There are some more recent vintage (late-50s) 20- and even a couple of
24-ft 2x8 and 2x10 Doug fir joists in the haymow leftover from when we
built the feedmill and associated bins into the loft. I can't imagine
what one of those would cost at a lumber yard today if one could even
find such a thing...

I'm not sure what I will do with them; I can't bring myself to cut them
up...

I've a picture or two of the barn under construction just after WWI--the
cost of the timber used for the scaffolding would cost more than a good
sized house finished today, I'm sure...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:58:25 -0500, dpb wrote:

It just pains me to the core to see old timbers go under the wrecking
ball that are perfect inside needing only a little TLC to remove the
foreign material and resurface or resaw...

I saw a couple of old houses being demolished in Buffalo the other
day. I was pleased to see how they were doing it. The organization is
"Buffalo Reuse". See:

http://www.buffaloreuse.org/GreenDem...reenDemolition
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 10:36*pm, (Doug Miller)
wrote:
My old faithful corded circular saw finally bit the dust yesterday. Something

Some years ago (20+), I ran across a Worm Drive Saw at the Sears
Outlet Store for a decent price (Maybe $69.00?). I'd never owned nor
used one before and I've never bothered with my old circular saws
since. It's always my first choice for framing, decking, etc. I put
an 18-tooth blade on it to rip 2x6 girders out of some "cull" lumber
2x12's to build my new deck and, how do they say "like buddah!"

Of course Sears didn't make the saw. Looks just like the Milwaukee of
the era. I suspect there are not too many manufacturers of this beast
as all I've seen look pretty similar.

My two cents

Posted to rec.woodworking

"For any serious use, I don't see how a cordless can compete."

Second that! I got one from Sears in the C-3 series 19.2 Volt. Cross
cutting trim - no problem, Riping - No Way. Cutting any distance in
three quarter inch material - No Way. The damned thing lies to wander.

Great little trim saw (emphasis on "little," but not much more than a
toy - albeit too sharp to give to a little kid!

Two more cents