Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Circular saw recommendations?

On 8/9/2011 3:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

"Infeed" and "outfeed" are meaningless terms when talking about cross-
cutting on a RAS. It's a lot easier to lay the thing on the RAS table
and prop up the ends with saw horses or stools or a rope tied to the
ceiling than it is to work out some kind of movable or low friction
support for the ends as is needed with a table saw.

I never talked about "infeed" or "outfeed" (intentionally, anyway; I
won't say I didn't write something confusingly inadvertently ); there
I was indending the directions to be those when ripping.

It may be easier for a one-time deal, surely; but the solution (and imo
which isn't so humble ) the only way to have a RAS workstation is to
have it in a long table that supports the largest majority lengths of
material used for both crosscutting and ripping. Mine sits in a 20'
section w/ roughly equal distances both directions. Now granted that's
a little more than most have room for but it now sits in the alleyway of
the barn that's 66 ft unobstructed so it's not a problem. The 20' is
because it fit the full length of the garage wall shop in TN and I've
not enlarged it.

Again, of course, this is a 16" puppy and I had it that size owing to
doing mostly ante- and early post-bellum renovations in Lynchburg, VA,
and surrounding counties when I got it to handle the sizes of materials
we were finding in them.

I'd have been happy w/ a 14 or even 12 but got lucky and an acquaintance
working at the old Lane furniture (then the new production facility was
almost new) got me a deal on this one out of the old facility in Alta Vista.