Posted to rec.woodworking

Default And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

"ChairMan" writes:
Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2012 6:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Snip

-------------------------------------
Sunday afternoon, (05/13/12), the price of gas is now $4.05/gal at
the local cash& carry.

The chain jerking continues.

Alternate energy anybody?

Lew

California brass hose fittings, cancer warning label.

California lawn sprinkler, cancer warning label.

New bicycle built in California, cancer warning label.

The chain keeps jerking

Alternatives to dealing with California anybody?

I wish a manufacturerer would grow a pair and just tell Calif to FO and
that they wouldn't make their products available in Calif.

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

FYI, california has more than 10% of the US market for anything. A manufacturer
would have to be pretty stupid to not make their products available in california.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Because it's stupid.
The label can cause cancer in California.

Why doesn't California just put out a blanket statement that anything
can cause cancer but only in California. :-)

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

FYI, california has more than 10% of the US market for anything. A manufacturer
would have to be pretty stupid to not make their products available in california.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
. ..
"ChairMan" writes:
Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2012 6:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Snip

-------------------------------------
Sunday afternoon, (05/13/12), the price of gas is now $4.05/gal at
the local cash& carry.

The chain jerking continues.

Alternate energy anybody?

Lew

California brass hose fittings, cancer warning label.

California lawn sprinkler, cancer warning label.

New bicycle built in California, cancer warning label.

The chain keeps jerking

Alternatives to dealing with California anybody?

I wish a manufacturerer would grow a pair and just tell Calif to FO and
that they wouldn't make their products available in Calif.

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Nothing if they're realistic

FYI, california has more than 10% of the US market for anything. A
manufacturer
would have to be pretty stupid to not make their products available in
california.

scott

Not really. if it cost more for them to sell their products there vs the
rest of the country, I see it as a savings.
I'd rather have a 90% no hassle market share than 10% with strings
It's like a customer you can NEVER satisfy, at some point you just have to
get rid of them and accept the losses and move on.
Besides that, you can only cry wolf so many times before people just tune it
out and just don't listen anymore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com writes:
Because it's stupid.
The label can cause cancer in California.

Why doesn't California just put out a blanket statement that anything
can cause cancer but only in California. :-)

Please point out a single example of a warning label that doesn't apply to
a known toxin. No anecdotal evidence allowed, you must show that the chemical
(or chemical residue) being warned about is not part of the labelled item.

scott

(my only concern with the warning labels is the 'cried wolf' syndrome vis-a-vis
extremely low concentration levels).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 1:18 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2012 6:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Snip

-------------------------------------
Sunday afternoon, (05/13/12), the price of gas is now $4.05/gal at
the local cash& carry.

The chain jerking continues.

Alternate energy anybody?

Lew

California brass hose fittings, cancer warning label.

California lawn sprinkler, cancer warning label.

New bicycle built in California, cancer warning label.

The chain keeps jerking

Alternatives to dealing with California anybody?

I wish a manufacturerer would grow a pair and just tell Calif to FO and
that they wouldn't make their products available in Calif.

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Exactly! Do you really think you could get cancer from buying and using
a brass hose fitting or lawn sprinkler???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 1:21 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Because it's stupid.
The label can cause cancer in California.

Why doesn't California just put out a blanket statement that anything
can cause cancer but only in California. :-)

Essentially that is exactly what they have done.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:

Not really. if it cost more for them to sell their products there vs
the rest of the country, I see it as a savings.

-----------------------------
That is a very big "IF".

Walking away from a market (California) in excess of 38 million people
when the entire US market is less than 310 million is just not going
to happen.

You don't like the labels, don't read them.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 2:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com writes:
Because it's stupid.
The label can cause cancer in California.

Why doesn't California just put out a blanket statement that anything
can cause cancer but only in California. :-)

Please point out a single example of a warning label that doesn't apply to
a known toxin. No anecdotal evidence allowed, you must show that the chemical
(or chemical residue) being warned about is not part of the labelled item.

scott

Solid Brass fittings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 2:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote:

Not really. if it cost more for them to sell their products there vs
the rest of the country, I see it as a savings.

-----------------------------
That is a very big "IF".

Walking away from a market (California) in excess of 38 million people
when the entire US market is less than 310 million is just not going
to happen.

Actually it does happen, there are numerous companies that will not do
business with/in California because of the silly paranoid laws. There
is simply too much risk. The writing is on the walls. You warn that
your product may cause cancer with and you have opened yourself up to
future litigation.

I often see shipping comments that a product cannot be shipped to AL,
Hi, or CA.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 2:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/14/2012 1:18 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Exactly! Do you really think you could get cancer from buying and using
a brass hose fitting or lawn sprinkler???

Remember, it's LALA Land ... progressives may have felt that a warning
label was necessary to discourage brass hose fittings from ending up
where the sun don't shine.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:

Not really. if it cost more for them to sell their products there vs
the rest of the country, I see it as a savings.

-----------------------------
That is a very big "IF".

Walking away from a market (California) in excess of 38 million people
when the entire US market is less than 310 million is just not going
to happen.

Actually it does happen, there are numerous companies that will not do
business with/in California because of the silly paranoid laws. There
is simply too much risk. The writing is on the walls. You warn that
your product may cause cancer with and you have opened yourself up to
future litigation.

I often see shipping comments that a product cannot be shipped to AL,
Hi, or CA.

Evidence and examples, please.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/14/2012 2:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com writes:
Because it's stupid.
The label can cause cancer in California.

Why doesn't California just put out a blanket statement that anything
can cause cancer but only in California. :-)

Please point out a single example of a warning label that doesn't apply to
a known toxin. No anecdotal evidence allowed, you must show that the chemical
(or chemical residue) being warned about is not part of the labelled item.

scott

Solid Brass fittings.

To enhance the machinability of brass, lead is often added in concentrations of around 2%.
Since lead has a lower melting point than the other constituents of the brass, it tends to
migrate towards the grain boundaries in the form of globules as it cools from casting.
The pattern the globules form on the surface of the brass increases the available lead
surface area which in turn affects the degree of leaching. In addition, cutting operations
can smear the lead globules over the surface. These effects can lead to significant lead
leaching from brasses of comparatively low lead content

You'll need to try better.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:
Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2012 6:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Snip

-------------------------------------
Sunday afternoon, (05/13/12), the price of gas is now $4.05/gal at
the local cash& carry.

The chain jerking continues.

Alternate energy anybody?

Lew

California brass hose fittings, cancer warning label.

California lawn sprinkler, cancer warning label.

New bicycle built in California, cancer warning label.

The chain keeps jerking

Alternatives to dealing with California anybody?

I wish a manufacturerer would grow a pair and just tell Calif to FO and
that they wouldn't make their products available in Calif.

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Exactly! Do you really think you could get cancer from buying and using
a brass hose fitting or lawn sprinkler???

I'd much rather know that my brass fittings have a small amount of lead in
them, particularly if I have small children around.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/14/2012 1:21 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Because it's stupid.
The label can cause cancer in California.

Why doesn't California just put out a blanket statement that anything
can cause cancer but only in California. :-)

Essentially that is exactly what they have done.

Horse****. Trust a texan to exaggerate everything.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 3:41 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
[...]

And if poison is use as a die lube ,,,,,, As I mention in another post,
Solid Brass

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:

Not really. if it cost more for them to sell their products there vs
the rest of the country, I see it as a savings.
-----------------------------
That is a very big "IF".

Walking away from a market (California) in excess of 38 million people
when the entire US market is less than 310 million is just not going
to happen.

Actually it does happen, there are numerous companies that will not do
business with/in California because of the silly paranoid laws. There
is simply too much risk. The writing is on the walls. You warn that
your product may cause cancer with and you have opened yourself up to
future litigation.

I often see shipping comments that a product cannot be shipped to AL,
Hi, or CA.

Evidence and examples, please.

scott

Go on line and take a look for yourself, I could care less if you
believe me or not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 3:41 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Exactly! Do you really think you could get cancer from buying and using
a brass hose fitting or lawn sprinkler???

I'd much rather know that my brass fittings have a small amount of lead in
them, particularly if I have small children around.

scott

Umm do you live in California or just wish you lived there???
Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott your missing the point. Half these companies put the label on
regardless. Because to be caught without it they could be criminally
negligent if something were to be used for one batch. So they put it on
everything.

Now, can we put that label on your keyboard. You know sitting in front
of a computer can cause cancer... but only in the state of Cali....what???

I'd much rather know that my brass fittings have a small amount of lead in
them, particularly if I have small children around.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 3:20 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 5/14/2012 2:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/14/2012 1:18 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Exactly! Do you really think you could get cancer from buying and using
a brass hose fitting or lawn sprinkler???

Remember, it's LALA Land ... progressives may have felt that a warning
label was necessary to discourage brass hose fittings from ending up
where the sun don't shine.

Should come with an E coli warning label too. ;!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:

Not really. if it cost more for them to sell their products there vs
the rest of the country, I see it as a savings.

-----------------------------
That is a very big "IF".

Walking away from a market (California) in excess of 38 million people
when the entire US market is less than 310 million is just not going
to happen.

Actually it does happen, there are numerous companies that will not do
business with/in California because of the silly paranoid laws. There is
simply too much risk. The writing is on the walls. You warn that your
product may cause cancer with and you have opened yourself up to future
litigation.

I often see shipping comments that a product cannot be shipped to AL, Hi,
or CA.

Yep, I used to work in the specialty coffee industry. There is a whole
bunch of Italian espresso manufacturers who refuse to sell their machines in
the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. Many individual Health Departments
passed regulations that the local health department had to "approve" of each
espresso machine in that county. This approval had to take place on a
county by county basis. They would have to pay for each county "approval".
Like the morons in Kalifornia knew more about espresso machines than the
Italian manufacturers. It was a ploy to get lots of money for "Espresso
Machine Approvals". Many of the espresso machine manufacturers recognized a
shakedown when they saw it. They now sell their machine in every state
EXCEPT Kalifornia. Only Kalifornia would do such nonsense.

I was working for a publication at the time and asked a number of
individuals why they were putting up the money to get such an approval.
They talked about how it was challenging and they would derive much
satisfaction in getting the local health department "approval". Totally
demented and stupid. And totally Kalifornia. These stupid people have to
pay much more for products and receive less service, compliments of an
oppressive state and county government who wants to meddle in all kinds of
affairs that serve no useful purpose. Kalifornians deserve each other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:
Leon wrote:
On 5/13/2012 6:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Snip

-------------------------------------
Sunday afternoon, (05/13/12), the price of gas is now $4.05/gal at
the local cash& carry.

The chain jerking continues.

Alternate energy anybody?

Lew

California brass hose fittings, cancer warning label.

California lawn sprinkler, cancer warning label.

New bicycle built in California, cancer warning label.

The chain keeps jerking

Alternatives to dealing with California anybody?

I wish a manufacturerer would grow a pair and just tell Calif to FO and
that they wouldn't make their products available in Calif.

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Exactly! Do you really think you could get cancer from buying and using a
brass hose fitting or lawn sprinkler???

depends how I use 'emg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:

Not really. if it cost more for them to sell their products there vs the
rest of the country, I see it as a savings.

-----------------------------
That is a very big "IF".

Walking away from a market (California) in excess of 38 million people
when the entire US market is less than 310 million is just not going to
happen.

You don't like the labels, don't read them.

Lew

on the same note........if ya don't like the gas prices, stop driving or
move
just quit whining insensately about the cost, because a big part of it is
because you're in Lala lan
todays price was $3.46 here

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Solid brass is one of a dozen alloys of copper, tin, lead, optionally with iron or arsenic.

Lead is not a die lube, it is integral to the alloy and it leaches, which is bad.

Solid brass fitting until 1/1/2010 had up to 4% lead content. Manufacturers have reduced
that to 0.25%, which means you'll no longer see prop 65 warnings on plumbing fittings anymore.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com writes:
Scott your missing the point. Half these companies put the label on
regardless. Because to be caught without it they could be criminally
negligent if something were to be used for one batch. So they put it on
everything.

Actually, I'm trying to fight the misinformation that you and Leon keep
spouting. You've just made another statement with no factual evidence
backing it up.

And please, stop top-posting.

You can hate california all you want, they don't want you anyway.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/14/2012 3:41 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Why? What's the problem with the warning labels?

Exactly! Do you really think you could get cancer from buying and using
a brass hose fitting or lawn sprinkler???

I'd much rather know that my brass fittings have a small amount of lead in
them, particularly if I have small children around.

scott

Umm do you live in California or just wish you lived there???

I've lived in 5 states, including california. They all have good points
and they all have bad points. I wouldn't class the prop65 warnings as
either good or bad, just a point, and one that has the potential of making
my life better and longer.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 May 2012 09:38:05 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/13/2012 6:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Snip

-------------------------------------
Sunday afternoon, (05/13/12), the price of gas is now $4.05/gal at the
local cash& carry.

The chain jerking continues.

Alternate energy anybody?

Lew

California brass hose fittings, cancer warning label.

California lawn sprinkler, cancer warning label.

New bicycle built in California, cancer warning label.

The chain keeps jerking

Alternatives to dealing with California anybody?

Um, check the sourcing when you purchase, Leon. Or just toss the
warning labels like you do the first twenty pages of all machine
manuals. Y'know, the pages with the canny warnings on them, like:

WARNING: DO NOT PLUG INto 120V WHILE STANDING IN A RUNNING SHOWER!

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon writes:

Actually it does happen, there are numerous companies that will not
do
business with/in California because of the silly paranoid laws.
There
is simply too much risk. The writing is on the walls. You warn that
your product may cause cancer with and you have opened yourself up
future litigation.

I often see shipping comments that a product cannot be shipped to AL,
Hi, or CA.

-----------------------------------
When you have the facts, use them.

When you don't have the facts, keep throwing crap on the wall until
you can get something to stick.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 4:19 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
[...]

That one went way over your head, No need to reply as that will cause
cancer if you live in California.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 4:21 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com writes:
Scott your missing the point. Half these companies put the label on
regardless. Because to be caught without it they could be criminally
negligent if something were to be used for one batch. So they put it on
everything.

Actually, I'm trying to fight the misinformation that you and Leon keep
spouting. You've just made another statement with no factual evidence
backing it up.

And please, stop top-posting.

You can hate california all you want, they don't want you anyway.

scott

I posted numerous web sites with the California non shipping problem.

Now you have been informed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 4:13 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

demented and stupid. And totally Kalifornia. These stupid people have to
pay much more for products and receive less service, compliments of an
oppressive state and county government who wants to meddle in all kinds
of affairs that serve no useful purpose. Kalifornians deserve each other.

And the sheer extent of that inherent stupidity is manifested by their
propensity to flee the economic consequences of their self inflicted
meddling by moving to another state, only to immediately, and loudly,
begin to advocate inflicting, upon their new state, the very
governmental meddling that they just fled.

Texas is suddenly overrun with the assholes ... CO has already been
polluted into submission.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 5/14/2012 4:21 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com writes:
Scott your missing the point. Half these companies put the label on
regardless. Because to be caught without it they could be criminally
negligent if something were to be used for one batch. So they put it on
everything.

Actually, I'm trying to fight the misinformation that you and Leon keep
spouting. You've just made another statement with no factual evidence
backing it up.

And please, stop top-posting.

You can hate california all you want, they don't want you anyway.

scott

I posted numerous web sites with the California non shipping problem.

Now you have been informed.

I doubt he'll respond

Posted to rec.woodworking

Evidence and examples, please.

"Leon" wrote:

Check out the big RED California for restriction of goods not
shipped there.
http://www.effusionlampsltd.com/page...g_returns.html

---------------------------------
CARB will get you.

Air is a lot cleaner today because of CARB.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
On 5/14/2012 4:21 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com writes:
Scott your missing the point. Half these companies put the label on
regardless. Because to be caught without it they could be criminally
negligent if something were to be used for one batch. So they put it on
everything.

Actually, I'm trying to fight the misinformation that you and Leon keep
spouting. You've just made another statement with no factual evidence
backing it up.

And please, stop top-posting.

You can hate california all you want, they don't want you anyway.

scott

I posted numerous web sites with the California non shipping problem.

Now you have been informed.

None of them had anything to do with prop65.

California has more restrictive gun laws than other states. So what, it's
their choice (and had you lived in East LA, or Oakland, you'd understand why).

I'm done with this.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2012 5:35 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
[...]

Try to stay on subject Scott

You said:

Evidence and examples, please.

I answered you question and gave you and Lew multiple examples, Now you
are introducing a different twist for the sake of argument.

sawmill creek down? alexy Woodworking 3 September 2nd 06 10:10 PM
EVOLUTION Up a Creek Without a Paddle... David Jensen Woodworking 33 October 25th 05 09:35 AM
EVOLUTION Up a Creek Without a Paddle... Jinzo Musume Lime-chan Woodworking 0 October 23rd 05 06:01 PM
[I] EVOLUTION Up a Creek Without a Paddle... David Jensen Woodworking 0 October 23rd 05 03:44 PM
Wet weather creek problems Mark Darbyshire Home Repair 1 September 5th 03 08:04 PM