Posted to rec.woodworking

Default CAUTION !! HF Multifunction Tool

On 11/15/2010 6:39 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
The
contractor register is not for contractors really - it's for anyone. Just
carries that name because, well, because...

Here that's the no habla ingles line.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 11:36*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Guess you'll have to discect that sentence with a dictionary in hand and
understand all of the words in it. *Don't let it get you down - you can do
it...

I don't know, Mike. It might seem an impossible task to him. Anyone
that can see the connection of cashiering to creating a welfare state
might have some problems.

*thumbs up*

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Can you be more specific? I've used Dremel blades on my HF tool with
no problem.

The Dremel blade has a large mounting hole in the center that is the
same diameter as the HF. However the outer circle of 'locating holes'
are on a smaller radius. I solved the problem by taking a tiny file
and elongating the locating holes until they become slots. Only did 3
holes 90° apart because the Dremel blade is not a full circle. Works
fine, however no better - no worse then the HF blade. Just more
expensive and smaller.

I was wondering about all the little holes on the HF blades I bought, as my HF
multi-tool seems to have no pins seating into them. It just has a nut to tighten
the blades on. Nothing engages into those holes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 12, 7:43*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Not really a matter of squeaky wheel/grease though - just standard
business practice.

-Mike-

Mike:

You were not there. It took nearly three hours over two visits(46 Mile
Round trips X 2), conversations and phone calls with three "managers."
And, yes, the SKU was on the BIG sign in the shed as were the
dimensions in addition to the incorrect price.

Butthey do NOT have a "re-stocking fee" per se.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/15/10 4:30 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 12, 7:43 am, "Mike
wrote:

"Not really a matter of squeaky wheel/grease though - just standard
business practice.

-Mike-

Mike:

You were not there. It took nearly three hours over two visits(46 Mile
Round trips X 2), conversations and phone calls with three "managers."
And, yes, the SKU was on the BIG sign in the shed as were the
dimensions in addition to the incorrect price.

Butthey do NOT have a "re-stocking fee" per se.

I don't think he said that in reference to your shed issue.
I think he said it in the context of merchandise returns, in general.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
If you want something done right...

Do it yourself while someone else gets paid for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Get a professional to do it and then fix it up properly the way it should
have been done, after the education.

"CW" wrote in message
m...
Do it yourself while someone else gets paid for it.

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
If you want something done right...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote:
Get a professional to do it and then fix it up properly the way it should
have been done, after the education.

You're screwing up the order of the replies. Hate to do it, but I have
to block you next time.

m...

"Steve wrote in message
If you want something done right...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote:
PLONK
again

Bye..enjoy your fun.

wrote in message
Josepi wrote:
Get a professional to do it and then fix it up properly the way it should
have been done, after the education.

You're screwing up the order of the replies. Hate to do it, but I have
to block you next time.

m...

"Steve wrote in message
If you want something done right...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 12, 7:43 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Not really a matter of squeaky wheel/grease though - just standard
business practice.

-Mike-

Mike:

You were not there. It took nearly three hours over two visits(46 Mile
Round trips X 2), conversations and phone calls with three "managers."
And, yes, the SKU was on the BIG sign in the shed as were the
dimensions in addition to the incorrect price.

You are correct - I should have stated that it is normal practice...
Normally, if there is signage with the SKU (and assuming no wording limiting
the through dates of the price), they will honor that signage.

Butthey do NOT have a "re-stocking fee" per se.

Correct - Home Depot has no re-stocking fee of any type. Returns are fully
credited unless there is no receipt. In that case, they refund the lowest
price it sold for over the past 6 months (I believe it is 6 months...).

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Nov 12, 12:15 pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

All you need to do is ask the Returns cashier, or the manager about
the HD Customer First policy. It's very clear on this matter.

In the end, I have never had them refuse a return.

My commercial contact over there told me why they are so cautious and
unforgiving sometimes.

He described lawnmower that were purchased by landscaping guys, used
like hell for a 3 - 4 weeks after we have heavy rains (grass growth),
then returned after running 10 hours a day for a month. (All caught
up).

Barbecue pits that were filthy and almost rusted through from heavy
use and lack of care.

ONE bag nearly empty 20# bag of charcoal (from a TWO pack1) that was
returned because the charcoal "didn't burn right". Of course they
wanted full credit for both bags when they returned a couple of
pounds.

The best? This was in effect when he started there ten years ago.

In January, Christmas trees were returned because they turned brown.
In some cases money was returned, and with no receipt store credit was
issued.

At the time he started, he told me they even mistakenly took back
other store's goods when they were marked at the factory with an
SKU#. He told me that it happened when they had certain products that
were not exclusive to HD, and neither was their factory packaging.
Having lunch with the store manager at an open house, he confirmed
it! Ouch!

Of course for a long time now they all have their own bar code tags
and systems closed tagging/pricing systems.

Over the course of time all of these store with their liberal return
policies have been bitten pretty hard. It certainly isn't confined to
the hardware stores. It's really no different than the woman that
goes to an upscale store to get a very expensive dress for the
holidays, then return it as unsatisfactory in January.

Robert

Somehow, I think I missed this reply when you first posted it Robert. Can't
believe I missed anything you posted...

The big thing these days (and for a while now...) is the shoplifting thing.
Thieves lift the stuff from one store, then take it to another store to
return it. Lost receipt stories, etc. That's generally for the pricier
stuff, from cordless tools to plumbing supplies. On the more common front,
plenty of regular consumers who do indeed purchase something for a one time
use (power washer, chainsaw, tiller, etc.), use it and then return it with
vague problem descriptions, or statements like "it just didn't seem to work
right". They get their money back and they're happy - they got the job done
they needed to do, with a convenient "tool rental" - only better because
there was no rental fee. Of course, if a returns cashier, department
employee or manager balks at returns like that, the righteous indignation
gets pulled out and thrown right on the counter... Along with the
statements about how much they spend in the store in a year. It's amazing
how many people spend $30,000 or more a year in a store... Home Depot (and
Lowes and Wal-Mart, and...) really need to improve their accounting systems.
For all of the consumers who spend all of that money in these stores, their
bottom lines ought to be much higher than they report...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 8:00*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

.... SNIPPAGE of good stuff...

*It's amazing
how many people spend $30,000 or more a year in a store... *Home Depot (and
Lowes and Wal-Mart, and...) really need to improve their accounting systems.
For all of the consumers who spend all of that money in these stores, their
bottom lines ought to be much higher than they report...

I got a real laugh out of that. I have been at the commercial counter
when these idiots come to complain. It is hilarious; they threaten to
cancel their account, they threaten to call the corporate office, they
are haughty as hell and seem to think that HD will suffer without
their business.

I ask Jim when they leave how much they spend a year. He looks up the
last few months of activity on the account. Hmmm.... looks here
Robert that he is charging about $300 a month here, sometimes less.
Never more since his account limit is $350.

I wonder who they think they are kidding.

I always get ****ed off that those guys, as well as the guys that buy
and return instead of renting, and all the other shenanigans that they
put up. What the honest patrons don't seem to appreciate is how much
that drives the prices up for the paying clients.

It isn't just the merchandise policy abuse, it is all the hours it
takes to process bogus claims.

I know they don't want to lose a customer, and they strive for
satisfaction, etc., etc., but if it were me I would put the clamp down
on the whole return thing.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

I know they don't want to lose a customer, and they strive for
satisfaction, etc., etc., but if it were me I would put the clamp down
on the whole return thing.

Both Nordstrom and Costco were famous for their liberal return policies.
After many years of flagrant abuse, they tightened up their standards. And
they are not the only places that have done so

I rarely return everything. I figure if I am a responsible adult, I will eat
my own mistakes. I only return something if it breaks or is the wrong item.
Nothing else qualifies.

But I am old school...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "Lee
Michaels" says...

wrote

I know they don't want to lose a customer, and they strive for
satisfaction, etc., etc., but if it were me I would put the clamp down
on the whole return thing.

Both Nordstrom and Costco were famous for their liberal return policies.
After many years of flagrant abuse, they tightened up their standards. And
they are not the only places that have done so

I understand that the thing that did it for Costco was people buying
computers and two or three years later turning them in for a refund so
they could buy upgraded computers. Classic case of a few assholes
ruining a good thing for everybody else.

I rarely return everything. I figure if I am a responsible adult, I will eat
my own mistakes. I only return something if it breaks or is the wrong item.
Nothing else qualifies.

But I am old school...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

I understand that the thing that did it for Costco was people buying
computers and two or three years later turning them in for a refund so
they could buy upgraded computers. Classic case of a few assholes
ruining a good thing for everybody else.

Also, the big screen TV's. Buy one, watch it for two years and trade it on
a new one. There are now strict time limits on returning them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Need a return policy based on technology out of date...ie. about two weeks.

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
b.com...
Also, the big screen TV's. Buy one, watch it for two years and trade it on
a new one. There are now strict time limits on returning them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:00:08 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

On the more
common front, plenty of regular consumers who do indeed purchase
something for a one time use (power washer, chainsaw, tiller, etc.), use
it and then return it with vague problem descriptions, or statements
like "it just didn't seem to work right". They get their money back and
they're happy - they got the job done they needed to do, with a
convenient "tool rental" - only better because there was no rental fee.

I ran into that 20 years ago. I was talking to the manager of a sporting
goods store and he told me of all the people who bought a tent and
returned it after 2 weeks! I couldn't believe it. I've gotten a lot
more cynical since then - reality (and a 3 year part time stint at
Woodcraft) has forced me to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote:
Need a return policy based on technology out of date...ie. about two
weeks.

I can understand stores wanting to maintain open returns policies to attract
repeat business, but the technology exists today to know immediately if a
customer is a one-off or a regular customer. Most people pay by credit
cards of one sort or another, and it's very easy to see if you're dealing
with a good customer or an occassional purchaser. One deserves a little
extra attention, the other - not so much. That would of course, put the
cash customer at a disadvantage in a big box environment (perhaps), but it's
not an absolutely precise science. Just a comment that there are better
ways than just accepting every return.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I haven't taken the plunge on any brand of these multifunction tools yet,
but did see an ad in one of the WW magazines for a Bosch adapter that allows
the use of blades by various manufacturers. This might be the one you recall
seeing. There may also be another one depending upon which brand you have.

http://www.boschtools.com/products/a...l.aspx?pid=614

Peter

"F Murtz" wrote in message
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
HF MF (Oscillating multifunction tool) works great as mentioned in a
try the difference, and the tools do not interchange. Different hole
pattern. I'm out $ 10. Don't know if I can take it back (Home Depot)
since I totally destroyed the plastic packaging upon trying to open
it.
Be careful out there.

Ivan Vegvary

I have seen somewhere an adapter to fit different blades to a
multifunction tool but I can not remember where.