Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Got a HF Multifunction Tool

This Harbor Freight clone of a Fein MultiMaster tool is on special this
Black Friday for $39.99. I was there when the doors opened and had to jostle
my way through the throng of maybe eight people waiting to get in.

The manager had to dig some of these from the backroom and the store did not
yet have the replacement packs of attachments.

That said, I got it home and opened the box.

The tool weighs about three pounds and seems VERY sturdy. It's larger than a
Dremel, but it still fits in the hand comfortably.

The tool comes with a set of blades (bits? attachments? thingies?), a set of
spare motor brushes, an allen wrench for changing the blades, and a couple
of pieces of sandpaper. Oh, and a 16-page booklet of warnings ("Do not use
under water," "Not for use on over-ripe fruit").

The supplied attachments include:
* A 1" cutting blade
* Another cutting blade
* A Pac-Man shaped cutting blade
* A scraper blade (semi-flexible)
* A sanding block and a couple of bits of sandpaper.

Usage is straightforward: Attach the desired blade (and apply a lot of
torque to the allen screw!), plug it in, turn it on. It cuts wood very
quickly, it sands like you suspect it would. Interestingly, the cutting
blades have no kerfs or sharp edges. They're merely serrated.

The sanding block and the supplied sandpaper operate on a faux-Velcro
principle.

I haven't tried removing tile, cutting pipes, or removing grout, but I'm
sure the tool would do those jobs quite well.

Using an allen wrench to change bits seems a bit primitive, but no more so
than a regular wrench to change out a router bit or angle-grinder wheel.

So far, in my modest remodeling efforts, I've undercut about a zillion door
frames in order to install flooring. I wish I'd had one of these tools - it
will make the effort for the remaining targets so much easier.

I've never used the Fein tool, but, after watching the Fein demo video, it
seems as if the HF tool will duplicate exactly the Fein's antics.

-------
P.S.
While I was out at dark-thirty a.m., I picked up the 5-gallon wet-dry vac at
Walmart ($15.00). I tried it out. More than adequate suckage.

P.P.S.
I noticed that one person was trampled to death (and the doors ripped off
the wall) at a Long Island Walmart this morning. Nothing like that happened
here, possibly because a quarter of the shoppers carry guns. Sample
conversations: "May I have that last X-Box you're holding?" "Certainly. Be
my guest."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

[...]

Based on your previous post about this, I was out about 8am so I thought
I'd stop in WM for a couple of non-sale things I need to get anyway and
see if they still had any. One left so I snagged it. Can't go wrong.
It's a $30-35 item I believe.

The 5gal one I have is about 3 yrs old and on it's 2nd motor. The drywall
dust that gets through/past the filters kills motors. Motor went on
current one 1yr & 11mos...one month SHY of end of 2 year warranty (Murphy
sleeping at the wheel). I called Shop Vac when it crapped out. They just
asked me the date of purchase and sent me a new motor.

P.P.S.
I noticed that one person was trampled to death (and the doors ripped
off the wall) at a Long Island Walmart this morning. Nothing like that
happened here, possibly because a quarter of the shoppers carry guns.
Sample conversations: "May I have that last X-Box you're holding?"
"Certainly. Be my guest."

Go at 8am. Live long and prosper V :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you were successful. I'd be interested in hearing how its
performance compares with the high-priced brand.

But you went at 8:00 a.m. and got the last one! Had you waited until 8:05
a.m., you'd have had to ask someone to give you theirs. Of course, in Texas
that wouldn't have been a problem - they'd politely handed it over. With a
smile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-
P.P.S.
I noticed that one person was trampled to death (and the doors ripped off
the wall) at a Long Island Walmart this morning. Nothing like that happened
here, possibly because a quarter of the shoppers carry guns. Sample
conversations: "May I have that last X-Box you're holding?" "Certainly. Be
my guest."

Y'mean like these 2 yahoos?
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Two_M...e_30242. html

And in SoCal, no less. The last 2 neocons in California?

If that article is correct it points out *exactly* why arming everyone
isn't a good idea.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-
P.P.S.
I noticed that one person was trampled to death (and the doors ripped off
the wall) at a Long Island Walmart this morning. Nothing like that happened
here, possibly because a quarter of the shoppers carry guns. Sample
conversations: "May I have that last X-Box you're holding?" "Certainly. Be
my guest."

Y'mean like these 2 yahoos?
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Two_M...e_30242. html

And in SoCal, no less. The last 2 neocons in California?

If that article is correct it points out *exactly* why arming everyone
isn't a good idea.

Jim

Since it appears that they were already breaking the law just my
carrying the weapons, additional laws would do what?
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Rusling wrote in
g:

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Two_M...s_R_Us_Store_3
0242.html

And in SoCal, no less. The last 2 neocons in California?

If that article is correct it points out *exactly* why arming everyone
isn't a good idea.

Jim

Since it appears that they were already breaking the law just my
carrying the weapons, additional laws would do what?

Infringe on ordinary decent citizens(ODC's) Right to Keep and Bear
Arms(RKBA).That's their intent.

I doubt the two had permits to carry concealed weapons,and IIRC,CA doesn't
allow open carry.

Vermont has open or concealed carry with no permit required,yet they don't
seem to have the "blood in the streets" and "Wild West shootouts" the anti-
gun crowd loves to predict.

And Vermont amazingly is a LIBERAL state.

One more thing;pro-gun people do NOT advocate "arming everyone",but
allowing those who CHOOSE to be armed legally to do so.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Rusling wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-
P.P.S.
I noticed that one person was trampled to death (and the doors ripped off
the wall) at a Long Island Walmart this morning. Nothing like that happened
here, possibly because a quarter of the shoppers carry guns. Sample
conversations: "May I have that last X-Box you're holding?" "Certainly. Be
my guest."

Y'mean like these 2 yahoos?
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Two_M...e_30242. html

And in SoCal, no less. The last 2 neocons in California?

If that article is correct it points out *exactly* why arming everyone
isn't a good idea.

Jim

Since it appears that they were already breaking the law just my
carrying the weapons, additional laws would do what?

Where did I say anything about a law? I think we have plenty. I
also think there are a lot of nuts in the world. [2 less today]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

-snip-

One more thing;pro-gun people do NOT advocate "arming everyone",but
allowing those who CHOOSE to be armed legally to do so.

This is exactly my problem with *some* 'pro gun' people. *Some* of
them *do* think that. And they also think that anyone who wants to
keep gang bangers from shooting up the neighborhood are after every
hunter's sporting rifle.

Your brush is too broad on both ends of the spectrum.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
:

Jim Rusling wrote in
g:

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Two_M...ys_R_Us_Store_
[...]

Spent over 20 years in VT (Colchester, Essex Jct & Williston). Nope, no
blood in the streets. Nobody tries to be a bad ass and pulls a gun out just
to "show 'em" because the probability the other person is armed is high.
Hunting season you will never see a convenience store held up because 95%
of the customers are armed. Easy to tell because of the holsters and ammo
belts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote in
:

Jim Rusling wrote in
news:kcp2j4936nni9gm0lrcnf1tu0tpetr9om4@rusling. org:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

A big difference between California, (and in today's store shooting,
Georgia) and Vermont is that Vermont isn't populated by the underbelly
of society.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Boden wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote in
:

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Two_M...Toys_R_Us_Stor
[...]

I suspect that Vermont has its fair share of criminals,in it's urban areas.
Perhaps not at the levels of LA,Miami,or Chicago,though.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-
P.P.S.
I noticed that one person was trampled to death (and the doors
ripped off the wall) at a Long Island Walmart this morning. Nothing
like that happened here, possibly because a quarter of the shoppers
carry guns. Sample conversations: "May I have that last X-Box you're
holding?" "Certainly. Be my guest."

Y'mean like these 2 yahoos?
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Two_M...e_30242. html

And in SoCal, no less. The last 2 neocons in California?

If that article is correct it points out *exactly* why arming everyone
isn't a good idea.

You are assuming facts not in evidence. You are not only assuming a LOT of
facts not in evidence, but your unstated presumption is in error.

First, both men involved were rising to the defense of their ladyfolks. This
is entirely a meritorious and chivalrous endeavor. For that (only), both men
should be commended.

Secondly, even if no one had been shot, both these rascals would be in jail.
As it was, the perfect result was obtained: two desperados dead, no one else
injured. Had it not been for the guns, these two would still be walking the
streets, ready to prey on you or yours.

The usual definition of "neocon" is one who supports the hegemony of the
United States in world affairs ("Pax Americana") and has little to do with
other, domestic, conservative positions.

Lastly, some men are just not psychologically equipped to accompany women
while they shop. There should be a test for this (or maybe we just saw one).

--- Opinion

We hear about the deaths caused with guns (as we should). But, here's my
unscientific breakdown of these events:

75% of gun deaths involve goblins killing goblins (as was the case here).
20% of gun deaths involve righteous folk killing goblins (as in thwarting a
home invasion).
4% of gun deaths can be attributed to accidents, malfunctions, and the like.
1% or less involve suicides or the righteous killing the righteous.

There are those who want to drive the 1% figure to zero. Even if they were
successful, we'd have to give up the 95% of gun deaths that make this a
better world. In my view, that's a bad bargain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in
:

Boden wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote in
:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote:

[...]

Oh yea. They have murders, rape, theft, drugs, the gauntlet. But the
level/frequency, as you say, is not at the level of your examples.