Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF Multifunction tool

HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.
Here's the link:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=65700

Every once in a while I wish I had something like this for trimming some
molding or whatever. Anybody own this puppy? Dremel has one, too, for
about $100. Are either of them worth the $$$?
Posted to rec.woodworking

TD Driver wrote:
HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.
Here's the link:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=65700

Every once in a while I wish I had something like this for trimming
some molding or whatever. Anybody own this puppy? Dremel has one,
too, for about $100. Are either of them worth the $$$?

I got the HF one the first day they went on sale (last Black Friday).

Yeah, it's worth it.

I've used mine for:

* Undercutting door frames when laying tile.
* Precision trimming for laminate flooring and counter tops.
* Cutting holes in sheetrock.
* Sanding in confined places.

The blades are interchangeable between manufacturers (mostly). That is, the
Dremel blades fit the HF tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

TD Driver wrote:
HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.
Here's the link:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=65700

Every once in a while I wish I had something like this for trimming some
molding or whatever. Anybody own this puppy? Dremel has one, too, for
about $100. Are either of them worth the $$$?

Just get one and try it. They have a great return policy.

I'll be picking on up tomorrow. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have seen many copies of tools over the years
but this one appears to be a "carbon copy" right
down to the attachments.

HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.

Posted to rec.woodworking

TD Driver wrote:
HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.

The real question is what attachments are available and for how much. IIRC
HF only has a few blades. Adding a full set of Fein accessories to it is
going to run that 40 bucks up right quick. Whether it's going to run it up
to more than the "Top" kit from Fein I don't know offhand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2009 9:14 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

TD Driver wrote:
HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.

The real question is what attachments are available and for how much. IIRC
HF only has a few blades. Adding a full set of Fein accessories to it is
going to run that 40 bucks up right quick. Whether it's going to run it up
to more than the "Top" kit from Fein I don't know offhand.

But what about the Dremel stuff? Remember that there are now lots of
players in this game. HeyBub tells us that the HD tool takes at least
some of the Dremel bits and cutters.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

The real question is what attachments are available and for how
much. IIRC HF only has a few blades. Adding a full set of Fein
accessories to it is going to run that 40 bucks up right quick. Whether
it's going to run it up to more than the "Top" kit from Fein
I don't know offhand.

But what about the Dremel stuff? Remember that there are now lots of
players in this game. HeyBub tells us that the HD tool takes at least
some of the Dremel bits and cutters.

Yep. I've bought the Dremel flat saw blade and the 270° blade. Both fit the
HF.

Interestingly, neither "blade" has a kerf. Nor do they have sharpened faces.
The business end of each blade is merely a flat piece of metal that looks as
if it was cut with the equivalent of pinking shears!

Shucks, you could make your own with a (classic) dremel, or refurbish one
that was worn out. I'm gonna try that on the next blade that wears down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

TD Driver wrote:

HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.

The real question is what attachments are available and for how much.
IIRC HF only has a few blades. Adding a full set of Fein accessories
to it is going to run that 40 bucks up right quick. Whether it's
going to run it up to more than the "Top" kit from Fein I don't know
offhand.

But what about the Dremel stuff? Remember that there are now lots of
players in this game. HeyBub tells us that the HD tool takes at least
some of the Dremel bits and cutters.

I know for certain that the Fein MultiMaster can use the Dremel saw
blades as I bought one of the Dremel blades for use about two weeks ago.
$11.00 for the Dremel blade at Home Depot verses $26.00 for the Fein at
Woodcraft.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2009 11:45 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Interestingly, neither "blade" has a kerf.

You mean they don't leave a kerf in the material you cut? Why, next
you'll be trying to sell us perpetual motion machines!

(I know this isn't what you meant--just giving you a hard time.)

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/8/2009 11:45 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Interestingly, neither "blade" has a kerf.

You mean they don't leave a kerf in the material you cut? Why, next
you'll be trying to sell us perpetual motion machines!

(I know this isn't what you meant--just giving you a hard time.)

Oops! Yeah, I meant the "set" of the teeth. That is, they are not offset
from the blade's stock.

You can even save electricity by bypassing the switch and just wiggling the
tool.

If you think of the tool as a miniature reciprocating saw, new uses come to
mind, such as trimming bushes, carving turkeys, and the like.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2009 2:13 PM HeyBub spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 5/8/2009 11:45 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Interestingly, neither "blade" has a kerf.

You mean they don't leave a kerf in the material you cut? Why, next
you'll be trying to sell us perpetual motion machines!

(I know this isn't what you meant--just giving you a hard time.)

Oops! Yeah, I meant the "set" of the teeth. That is, they are not offset
from the blade's stock.

You can even save electricity by bypassing the switch and just wiggling the
tool.

If you think of the tool as a miniature reciprocating saw, new uses come to
mind, such as trimming bushes, carving turkeys, and the like.

So since you actually own one of these tools, perhaps you can answer a
question: the MultiMaster infomercial shows, among other wondrous
things, a user of the tool pressing the vibrating edge of a tool against
his hand with no damage or injury. Is this something you've been able to
demonstrate to yourself? (Not asking you to potentially slice open your
fingers, just curious.)

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
So since you actually own one of these tools, perhaps you can answer a
question: the MultiMaster infomercial shows, among other wondrous
things, a user of the tool pressing the vibrating edge of a tool against
his hand with no damage or injury. Is this something you've been able to
demonstrate to yourself? (Not asking you to potentially slice open your
fingers, just curious.)

Have you ever used a reciprocating saw on an unsupported piece of
lumber? You know how it won't cut it, it just moves the piece up and
down real fast? I'm guessing that's how it would work on your hand.

Since these small reciprocating multi-tools have such a tiny distance of
travel in their reciprocating cycle, I'd speculate that they would just
move your hand (or even just the skin) back and forth a tiny bit. I'd
also speculate that you could hold a piece of wood against it, lightly,
and it wouldn't cut it, but move it back and forth, fast.

My local HF was out of their version, today, but are getting a bunch in
their next truckload.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

A cast saw works the same way. I always demonstrated by holding the
blade against the palm of my hand while it was running. However, skin
that cannot move, like over the shin, can be cut, as well as the bone
beneath it.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Guns don't kill people, postal workers do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/8/2009 11:45 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Interestingly, neither "blade" has a kerf.

You mean they don't leave a kerf in the material you cut? Why, next
you'll be trying to sell us perpetual motion machines!

(I know this isn't what you meant--just giving you a hard time.)

Oops! Yeah, I meant the "set" of the teeth. That is, they are not
offset from the blade's stock.

You can even save electricity by bypassing the switch and just
wiggling the tool.

If you think of the tool as a miniature reciprocating saw, new uses
come to mind, such as trimming bushes, carving turkeys, and the like.

My problem with doing that is that I can get a whole package of
recriprocating saw blades for the price of one for the Multimaster.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Haven't tried it with the Harbor Freight, but I have personally verified it
with the Fein.

Same principle as the saws that doctors use to remove casts--it cuts the
cast but if they go too deep it doesn't cut the skin.

I suspect that it would be a different story with the knife-edged tools.
Haven't tried it with one of them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/8/2009 11:45 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Interestingly, neither "blade" has a kerf.

You mean they don't leave a kerf in the material you cut? Why, next
you'll be trying to sell us perpetual motion machines!

(I know this isn't what you meant--just giving you a hard time.)

Oops! Yeah, I meant the "set" of the teeth. That is, they are not offset
from the blade's stock.

You can even save electricity by bypassing the switch and just wiggling
the tool.

If you think of the tool as a miniature reciprocating saw, new uses come
to mind, such as trimming bushes, carving turkeys, and the like.

Few questions, Does the Dremel hold the cutting tool. I tried one at a show
and the blade kept falling off the teeth/dowels that holds it in place. It
seemed the washer wasn't getting tight enough to hold it against the blade.
Does the HF Tool have teeth to hold the tool, I see the blades have 4 holes
in them so I'd expect the tool has 4 teeth or dowels???? I need one of
these tools to trim baseboard to accommodate wider door casings.

Thanks for any review you can provide.
Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:

You can even save electricity by bypassing the switch and just
wiggling the tool.

If you think of the tool as a miniature reciprocating saw, new uses
come to mind, such as trimming bushes, carving turkeys, and the like.

Few questions, Does the Dremel hold the cutting tool. I tried one at
a show and the blade kept falling off the teeth/dowels that holds it
in place. It seemed the washer wasn't getting tight enough to hold it
against the blade. Does the HF Tool have teeth to hold the tool, I
see the blades have 4 holes in them so I'd expect the tool has 4
teeth or dowels???? I need one of these tools to trim baseboard to
accommodate wider door casings.

Thanks for any review you can provide.
Rich

Well, you've got to snug the blade down pretty hard. I mean REALLY tighten
the allen-bolt. Spot welding helps. You learn.

As to whether the machine will cut human tissue, no it won't.

In fact, my tool went missing. I found it on the nightstand next to the bed
and my current squeeze claimed complete ignorance...

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

I could careless if it cuts human tissue. If your stupid enough to let it
cut you then you deserve it. I just want to know if it works and the blade
stays put.

Maybe you should get her a dildo to practice on....
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , evodawg
wrote:

Maybe you should get her a dildo to practice on....

Maybe, if we take up a collection, you could buy a sense of humour?

I'm wanting one of these tools. I asked for an honest review not if it cut
meat or fingers or someones dick. Sure take up the collection and buy me
the Fein Multimaster, cause I know that one works. I'll give you my address
when you've collected enough, OK!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to rec.woodworking

evodawg wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

Sorry I ruined your evening.

I was trying to be economical and save bndwth (which is saving three letters
right there!). David Nebenzahl asked if the tool cut skin. So, by tagging
the answer to HIS question to the answer to YOUR question, I saved precious
bndwth.

In the future, when answering your questions, I'll stick to the single point
you raise.

I'll also use capital letters and type slowly. To save bndwth.

It's for the chldrn. And, of course, U.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 7:31*pm, evodawg wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:

Maybe you should get her a dildo to practice on....

Maybe, if we take up a collection, you could buy a sense of humour?

I'm wanting one of these tools. I asked for an honest review not if it cut
meat or fingers or someones dick. Sure take up the collection and buy me
the Fein Multimaster, cause I know that one works. I'll give you my address
when you've collected enough, OK!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Addresshttp://rentmyhusband.biz/

I bought mine at the local HF store in Lincoln, Nebraska. I think I
paid $69.00 for it plus tax. When I got home I checked the HF website
and they had it for $39.00. I called the store and asked them if they
would honor the $39.00 price. They wouldn't. However I am still
satisfied with the tool. My only complaint is that it DOES need to be
really tight to keep the 270 degree blade on.

I had a chance to compare it to a friends FEIN tool. It can't compete
with the FEIN mainly because the speed on the FEIN is almost twice as
fast. It just takes a bit longer with the HF. The $300 saved is OK
with me. However if I used the tool several hours a week I would spend
the extra $300 for the FEIN. The increased production would make it
worthwhile.

Dennis
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought mine at the local HF store in Lincoln, Nebraska. I think I
paid $69.00 for it plus tax. When I got home I checked the HF website
and they had it for $39.00. I called the store and asked them if they
would honor the $39.00 price. They wouldn't. However I am still
satisfied with the tool. My only complaint is that it DOES need to be
really tight to keep the 270 degree blade on.

That's weird, our local store will honor the online prices.
Wish they all followed the same policies.

You could've ordered it online and returned yours.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

TwoGuns wrote:

On May 8, 7:31Â*pm, evodawg wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dennis, that's the review I was looking for. I'd probably use it a
few times a week. I'm also looking at the Bosch, probably along the same
line as the Fein but a little cheaper. More then likely it will be used to
undercut door casements and baseboard when upgrading to wider door
casement. It's almost impossible to cut when in place.

Thank You,

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 1:46*pm, Nova wrote:

I know for certain that the Fein MultiMaster can use the Dremel saw
blades as I bought one of the Dremel blades for use about two weeks ago.
$11.00 for the Dremel blade at Home Depot verses $26.00 for the Fein at
Woodcraft.

So Jack, I guess the question that has to be asked, are the Dremel
blades as good or at comparible in quality to the Fein in practical
use?

Also, I am remembering some discussion on another group of the
problems with blades loosening up on the Dremels when being used. A
call to Dremel ( IF I am remembering correctly) got the individual
some kind of star washer or other arrangment to help remedy that
problem.

Anyway, have you had a chance to use the Dremel blades, and more
importantly, do you like them? I wouldn't expect Fein quality at half
the price, but wonder if the blades are just more Chinese crap.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
On May 8, 7:31 pm, evodawg wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:

[...]

I have the Fein and have the same problem with the 270 degree blade.
Astounding that even the FLAWS are copied! I have not used mine enough to
justify the $200 or so that I paid for it, but it did get dragged out this
week to cut some molding in a hallway where we are putting in new flooring.
I bought it when I had more money than sense. Now my money and sense are
equally low ...

Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

wrote in message
On May 8, 1:46 pm, Nova wrote:

[...]

They loosen up on the Fein (model I bought lo these many years ago), they
don't cut flesh (showed my wife this just two days ago), and they Bend. Had
to pound one flat for work this week. When I bought mine it was over priced
and I suspect it still is. I'd buy the HF Chinese Crap, just make sure you
clean off the Cosmoline/CatPee before use. If you have cats or dogs (well,
any mammal with a nose), get the box into the recycling right quick. They
use Cat Pee in the cardboard glue. Same stuff they use in the plywood. I'm
thinking they got a Lot of cats in China ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On May 8, 1:46 pm, Nova wrote:

[...]

There's not much "quality" in any of the blades. The blade is a flat piece
of metal whose business end is serrated. In every way, the teeth look like
they were fashioned by pinking shears!

Don't think of the blade as a typical saw.

The "teeth" are not sharpened, set, or even very pointy. Now the teeth COULD
be harder, but that would make the blade more brittle. Probably what they've
got is a rough trade-off between durability and total failure.

On the plus side, when the teeth DO wear down, you've got a new scraper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
wrote:
On May 8, 1:46 pm, Nova wrote:

[...]

So far I've only used it to under cut four door jambs while
installing a laminate floor. As far as I can tell the blade works as
well as the Fein. I did not have a problem with the Dremel blade
loosening on the Fein any more than a Fein blade. You do have to
tighten the set screw securely on both blades. I did like not having
to completely remove the screw to install or remove the blade. It's
only a minor convenience but one that was noted.

Note that the current Fein models address both of these issues--there is now
a star shaped arbor that prevents the blade from shifting and there is now a
quick release instead of a set screw. There is an adapter that adds the new
arbor to the older models--it has carbide teeth on the back that cut into
the flat arbor to ensure that it stays put, or if you want to be really sure
it can be spot welded.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 May 2009 18:47:26 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

Good thing it's corded..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

TD Driver wrote:
HF has their version of the Fein multimaster on sale for under $40.

The real question is what attachments are available and for how much. IIRC
HF only has a few blades. Adding a full set of Fein accessories to it is
going to run that 40 bucks up right quick. Whether it's going to run it up
to more than the "Top" kit from Fein I don't know offhand.

But what about the Dremel stuff? Remember that there are now lots of
players in this game. HeyBub tells us that the HD tool takes at least
some of the Dremel bits and cutters.

I have and use the dremel - I picked it after testing the Fein and
others. It was the right power for my 11 year old twins and worked well.
I have a wide array of attachments. they kids really like it for doing
modeling work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Note that the current Fein models address both of these issues--there
is now a star shaped arbor that prevents the blade from shifting and
there is now a quick release instead of a set screw. There is an
adapter that adds the new arbor to the older models--it has carbide
teeth on the back that cut into the flat arbor to ensure that it
stays put, or if you want to be really sure it can be spot welded.

Right. Fein's patent on the original tool expired - which generates a ton of
competition - so they make some needed improvements and get another
seventeen years of exclusivity with a new patent.

For those who decry monopolies, remember monopolies are encouraged by the
Constitution (Article I, Section 8). "The Congress shall have the Power
To....securing for limited times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive
Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 May 2009 07:01:59 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Note that the current Fein models address both of these issues--there
is now a star shaped arbor that prevents the blade from shifting and
there is now a quick release instead of a set screw. There is an
adapter that adds the new arbor to the older models--it has carbide
teeth on the back that cut into the flat arbor to ensure that it
stays put, or if you want to be really sure it can be spot welded.

Right. Fein's patent on the original tool expired - which generates a ton of
competition - so they make some needed improvements and get another
seventeen years of exclusivity with a new patent.

Without which there would be no improvement.

For those who decry monopolies, remember monopolies are encouraged by the
Constitution (Article I, Section 8). "The Congress shall have the Power
To....securing for limited times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive
Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

Well, invention is Constitutionally encouraged. The limited patent
monopoly is a means to reward invention; a fair tradeoff, IMO.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

[...]

Yes but in China they encourage the opposite.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
.. .
So since you actually own one of these tools, perhaps you can answer a
question: the MultiMaster infomercial shows, among other wondrous things,
a user of the tool pressing the vibrating edge of a tool against his hand
with no damage or injury. Is this something you've been able to
demonstrate to yourself? (Not asking you to potentially slice open your
fingers, just curious.)

A cast saw works the same way. I always demonstrated by holding the blade
against the palm of my hand while it was running. However, skin that
cannot move, like over the shin, can be cut, as well as the bone beneath
it.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I believe the physics behind this is called "differential cutting", where
inelastic objects are cut and elastic objects are left alone. I recall
reading of this principle several years back when scientists were looking at
using it to cut plaque out of arteries with what resembled a rotary tool.
The idea is that the hard(er) plaque would get cut and ther arterial walls
would not.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Note that the current Fein models address both of these issues--there
is now a star shaped arbor that prevents the blade from shifting and
there is now a quick release instead of a set screw. There is an
adapter that adds the new arbor to the older models--it has carbide
teeth on the back that cut into the flat arbor to ensure that it
stays put, or if you want to be really sure it can be spot welded.

Right. Fein's patent on the original tool expired - which generates a ton of
competition - so they make some needed improvements and get another
seventeen years of exclusivity with a new patent.

For those who decry monopolies, remember monopolies are encouraged by the
Constitution (Article I, Section 8). "The Congress shall have the Power
To....securing for limited times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive
Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

"monopolies are encouraged" is an interesting way to look at protection
of intellectual property. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

"monopolies are encouraged" is an interesting way to look at protection
of intellectual property. :-)

That is exactly the deal with a patent or copyright. The inventor (or author)
gets a monopoly for a limited period of time in return for putting the work in
the public domain at the end of that time. Copyright times have gotten way too
long in my opinion, but that is a side detail.

If an inventor wants to protect something indefinitely, they can keep it as a
trade secret (like the formula for Coca-Cola). But that doesn't protect them
from independent invention.

-- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

Douglas Johnson wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

"monopolies are encouraged" is an interesting way to look at protection
of intellectual property. :-)

That is exactly the deal with a patent or copyright. The inventor (or author)
gets a monopoly for a limited period of time in return for putting the work in
the public domain at the end of that time. Copyright times have gotten way too
long in my opinion, but that is a side detail.

If an inventor wants to protect something indefinitely, they can keep it as a
trade secret (like the formula for Coca-Cola). But that doesn't protect them
from independent invention.

-- Doug

I don't think it's fair or accurate to equate design patents with
monopolies.

Your cola analogy was good in distinguishing between monopoly and design
patents.
A monopoly would mean there is one company making and selling all the
Cola in the country.
A patent just means Joe's Cola is the only one who can make and sell his
patented, steroid enriched "Rage-a-Cola"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-05-10, HeyBub wrote:

For those who decry monopolies, remember monopolies are encouraged by the
Constitution (Article I, Section 8). "The Congress shall have the Power
To....securing for limited times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive
Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

Unfortunately, it's been abused beyond belief. What was once copyrighted
for 15 yrs has now been extended to 75 yrs BEYOND the originator's death.
Europe has just recently passed similar legislation. This all because the
distribution industry has greased pol palms. I'm not sure about latest
patent laws.

Fortunately, China laughs at such nonsense and will disregard it to provide
an equal, even if sometimes lesser quality, product. Hence, Harbor Freight.

Another thing, is the quality one expects always there. One of the most
common items procured from the stores of a govt lab I worked at was the
right angle gear-head of the German made Bosch 4-1/2" high speed grinder.
Apparently, a very popular tool with a high failure rate. I have one and
have never had to replace it, but I also do not use it often, so it has
little wear.

Another example of China made stuff I've been happy with is a hand-held
power bandsaw. Milwaukee wants almost $400. I got mine for $140. Dual
speed and works great. The blades were junk, but Milwaukee blades fit
perfectly. I've also had a 2-1/2 ton floor jack and jack stands made in
China that were superior to similar US made items costing three times as
much.

I learned a long time ago that tools should be judged on an individual
basis. You cannot assume anything based on a brand name or country of
origin.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

I don't think it's fair or accurate to equate design patents with
monopolies.

Your cola analogy was good in distinguishing between monopoly and design
patents.
A monopoly would mean there is one company making and selling all the
Cola in the country.
A patent just means Joe's Cola is the only one who can make and sell his
patented, steroid enriched "Rage-a-Cola"

The line you are trying to draw is based on the breadth of the patent. If Coke
had gotten a patent on Cola, there would only be one company making and selling
all the Cola in the country for the life of the patent. OK, they could license
it to other companies if they wanted.

For some time in the 40's and 50's, there was only one company making and
selling color film -- Kodak. A decade later, there was only one company making
and selling plain paper copiers -- Xerox.

-- Doug