Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool

I picked up the one speed model today. While it's simple enough, I don't
understand where to use the scraper blade. What can I cut with the large
blade? The manual is no help.

There is an extra set of brushes in the box, but the manual does not
show how to change them. Presumably they are under the black caps in the
sides. How do I know when they need to be changed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote
There is an extra set of brushes in the box, but the manual does not
show how to change them. Presumably they are under the black caps in the
sides. How do I know when they need to be changed?

When it stops making noise
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:33:01 -0800, "Bob F"

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:33:38 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

I picked up the one speed model today. While it's simple enough, I
don't understand where to use the scraper blade. What can I cut with
the large blade? The manual is no help.

There is an extra set of brushes in the box, but the manual does not
show how to change them. Presumably they are under the black caps in
the sides. How do I know when they need to be changed?
Maybe if you posted a link to this tool from the Harbor Fright
website, we could all see this tool and be able to help. Yes, brushes
go in by those caps.near the rear of all modern power tools that come
with the caps. It seems most power tools come with extra brushes now a
days, which is good.

Is that because they won't be making spare parts when you need them a few years
down the line?

Or in this case, is there just no way to get them?

In the case of most of those off brand generic tools, you probably
wont be able to get parts. They're throwaway tools. Most of those
sold at Harbor Fright are just that. If you want GOOD tools, you'll
pay a lot more, but will be able to get parts later on, and they will
last longer. On the other hand, brushes for small tools are pretty
much all the same, and likely available at motor repair shops and
maybe larger hardware stores.

Your average homeowner buys cheap tools, while those in the business
buy the good ones. Myself, for tools I use regularly, I have gotten
the good ones, but for something I may use once or twice a year I get
the cheapies.

Although I have a good name brand plug in angle grinder, I bought a
cheap generic one last year at a business that travels around the
country selling cheap tools. They do not have an actual store. I
bought it just for a spare. (like when I dont want to change the
wheel to a wire brush for one minute of use). I paid $13 for it. It
ran very slow right from the start, worse yet, it lasted about 13
minutes (literally) before it completely went up in smoke. At a
dollar a minute, it was no bargain. It did come with spare brushes
though..... Too bad it didnt include a spare motor. I was NOTable to
return it, and just tossed it in the garbage.

Since then I bought a Black and Decker one. B&D is not top of the
line stuff, but at least I know I can return it and there is a
warranty, even if it's not for real long.

Buy the cheap tools as loaners.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Once in a while, I'm trying out a new skill. Not
sure if there is the customer base for this or
that. Sometimes it's sensible to buy a cheap tool.
If I use the tool often enough, I go buy the good
tool later after a few jobs.

On the other hand, my 12 volt Drill Master drills
are going strong after a couple years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message

Buy the cheap tools as loaners.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

No... me! I've not yet bought one. Not sure I've
ever needed such a gadget. I said that about
Dremel tool, and now find them totally useful.
So....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LouB" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
wrote:

No need for that. Virtually everybody on this
group (as it turns out there
may be one exception) knows the tool intimately.

That would be me:-))

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 10:47*am, LouB wrote:
Red Green wrote:
LouB wrote in
:

wrote:

I picked up the one speed model today. While it's simple enough, I
don't understand where to use the scraper blade. What can I cut
with the large blade? The manual is no help.

There is an extra set of brushes in the box, but the manual does
not show how to change them. Presumably they are under the black
caps in the sides. How do I know when they need to be changed?
Maybe if you posted a link to this tool from the Harbor Fright
website, we could all see this tool and be able to help.
No need for that. Virtually everybody on this group (as it turns out
there may be one exception) knows the tool intimately.

That would be me:-))

Lou

Ya gotta get one Lou. Everybody needs to have something around from HF.
The Malfunction Tool is like a membership card :-)

LOL

I brought 4 toolboxes to Florida 3+ years ago.
Two have never been opened and others hardly used.
I do have a fifth "toolbox" which has screwdrivers, pliers etc for
household maintenance.
I bought a Dremal copy a while back and have yet to use it:-))
BUT I now know where the HF store in Ocala is so may go up during the
"yard" sale.

Lou- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like you are in a retirement community near Orlando
Posted to alt.home.repair

Needs alkaline batteries, and a bit of grease on
the tail cap threads. But other than that, yes,
it's a great little light.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LouB" wrote in message

PS I have the little flashlight they give away.
It is great:-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hmgqck
:

Once in a while, I'm trying out a new skill. Not
sure if there is the customer base for this or
that. Sometimes it's sensible to buy a cheap tool.
If I use the tool often enough, I go buy the good
tool later after a few jobs.

Exactly the reason I went for the HF Multifunction tool vs a mid or high
end unit.

On the other hand, my 12 volt Drill Master drills
are going strong after a couple years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote in
:

LouB wrote:
Red Green wrote:
LouB wrote in
:
wrote:
[...]

Don't have one of those. Always forget the coupon when I go. Guess I
need it for membership renewal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have one of those free flash lights. Worth every
penny of it. Some grease on the tail cap threads,
and some alkaline batteries. Works great.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in
message

PS I have the little flashlight they give away.
It is great:-))

Don't have one of those. Always forget the coupon
when I go. Guess I
need it for membership renewal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 1, 1:36*pm, Red Green wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hmgqck
:

Once in a while, I'm trying out a new skill. Not
sure if there is the customer base for this or
that. Sometimes it's sensible to buy a cheap tool.
If I use the tool often enough, I go buy the good
tool later after a few jobs.

Exactly the reason I went for the HF Multifunction tool vs a mid or high
end unit.

On the other hand, my 12 volt Drill Master drills
are going strong after a couple years.- Hide quoted text -

"Exactly the reason I went for the HF Multifunction tool"

And at $34.99 with the coupon, that's even more exactly why I'm going
with the HF tool.

I love my Dremel, but I'm certainly into trying new things.

(I know it's not a one-to-one comparison)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hmh5kt
:

I have one of those free flash lights. Worth every
penny of it. Some grease on the tail cap threads,
and some alkaline batteries. Works great.

Well I'm moving end of the month to a state that has no HF's. Better jump
on it. Print coupon. Put in van.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Well I'm moving end of the month to a state that has no HF's. Better
jump on it. Print coupon. Put in van.

Why would you move to such a horrid place?

The following places don't seem to have a HF store.

South Dakota
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Alaska
Hawaii

And, of course, D.C., American Somoa, Guam, Federated States of Micronesia,
the Marshall Islands, Northern Marianna Islands, Puerto Rico, Virgin
Islands, Patagonia, Rhodesia, and a few other places Obama campaigned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Red Green wrote:

Well I'm moving end of the month to a state that has no HF's. Better
jump on it. Print coupon. Put in van.

Why would you move to such a horrid place?

The following places don't seem to have a HF store.

South Dakota
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Alaska
Hawaii

And, of course, D.C., American Somoa, Guam, Federated States of
Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, Northern Marianna Islands, Puerto
Rico, Virgin Islands, Patagonia, Rhodesia, and a few other places
Obama campaigned.

Back to Vermont...1k miles north. Ughhh! Long story, very long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2010 7:39 AM HeyBub spake thus:

wrote:

I only rent large tools, like an earth auger, concrete mixer,
or something like that.

If you lived in Berkeley, you could BORROW all those tools from the tool
lending library run by the city.

Not only Berkeley, but Oakland too (the tool lending library is in the
Temescal branch library):
http://www.oaklandlibrary.org/branches/temtll.htm

****in' Communists.

Yeah, right.

I love my tool lending library. I've even given them tools.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Harbor Freight free flash light

I like the free flash lights (obviously). Plenty
bright enough to be useful. I've found to put a
spot of vaseline on the tail cap threads. And use
real alkaline batteries. (did I type that before?)
If the light goes in a coat pocket or tool box,
I'll usually put the battery pack in backwards.
I've had the tail cap switch bumped on, before.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in
message

I have one of those free flash lights. Worth
every
penny of it. Some grease on the tail cap
threads,
and some alkaline batteries. Works great.

Well I'm moving end of the month to a state that
has no HF's. Better jump
on it. Print coupon. Put in van.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They do mail order. Used to be 5.95 handling per
order, and "free shipping" over $50.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in
message

Back to Vermont...1k miles north. Ughhh! Long
story, very long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hmoag5
:

They do mail order. Used to be 5.95 handling per
order, and "free shipping" over $50.

Yea but sometimes you need to drop one once to see how it bounces before
buying.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

[...]

The real hardware store near me has a big selection of brushes. I'd
just about guarantee it has every size for hand power tools.

I don't think Home Depot or Lowes has any. Ace Hardware probably has
a good selection, but I didn't check there.

I went looking because I needed new brushes for my convertible top
motor. It had the right size for that too (2.50 a piece) but the
woven copper that carried the current was about 1/9th as thick as the
original.

HOwever this same real hardware store is cutting back on hardware
while increasing its tool rental, all the way up to back hoes. And
were it not for that and lawn mower and engine repair, it would probly
be out of business.

Baltimore has one very good motor repair shop in the center of town
and when the 2nd set of brushes wear out -- and I use most of my tools
not enough for that to happen -- I'm sure Electric Motor Repair will
have the right size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

-snip-

The real hardware store near me has a big selection of brushes. I'd
just about guarantee it has every size for hand power tools.

And if they don't- they have one a tiny bit bigger and a few strokes
with a file will fix you right up. BTDT

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:47:27 -0500, LouB wrote:

I bought a Dremal copy a while back and have yet to use it:-))

I bought an imitation Dremel from HF and later a friend reinstalled my
front door locks for me after the hospital lost my keys (etc.) and I
couldn't wait until people with copies got home. After he did that,
the slam lock wouldn't work. The ImiDremel worked well to grind the
plate out a little bit so the door would latch and lock with that
lock. I probably need a new stone though.