Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Multi-tool WOW!

I'd been wondering if those things really DO anything but vibrate and was
reading all the posts when my wife tells me that she and a neighbor are going to
the States Thursday on a shopping trip..
Hmmm... Yuma has a small HF!

So I give her a page out of readers digest with all the coupons, tell her that
I'll try the basic one for $34 before I consider the $80 VS model..

Good news: They had them in stock and even with the straight blade that it comes
with, I'm flat amazed how well it cuts!

Bad news: Shy happens to mention that "I almost called you about the variable
speed one, but you said you wanted the cheap one"..
Turns out that IT was on sale for $49, so for another $15 I could have had the
newer model.. arggg

Anyway, all I've done with it so far is some plunge cuts in pine 1 x 4 scraps,
but I'm really impressed.. She watched me unpack it and put a blade on and
neither one of us thought it would even cut.. Hell, it looks just like my HF
detail sander...

I'd recommend this tool to anyone that can afford it.. Just don't see how you
can go wrong at $34..

OH.. she also bought 3 different blades for it, since I gave her a 20% off
coupon.. Cool!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

There ya go.

You now have just the tool to cut through those big ironwood logs you like
to play with all the time!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2010 1:08 AM, mac davis wrote:
[...]

Just about the same reaction when I got mine. Those things are really
cool.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

[...]

Had mine for a year now and it's still going strong, and I use it at least
3 times a week for, cutting drywall for electrical outlets, cutting
baseboard when replacing with wider door casing, removing tile grout and
many other uses I can't think of now. I would suggest using the Dremel or
Bosch blades available at most of your Big Box stores. Those blades fit my
older model, not sure about the new one.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've had mine for about a year and it's saved me a ton of time, but:
Unless you really torque it, the blades tend to vibrate loose. Number
One son got me a Dremel as a replacement, but have yet to give it a good
workout. Will report back when I do.

Larry

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

Yep. It's like a Xerox machine; once you get it, you wonder how you ever
lived without it.

Tip: When the cutting blade wears down to a scraper-only configuration (or
if you have a spare scraper blade), cut as many notches in it with a Dremel
rotary tool and you're good to go.

Won't be quite as good as one with pointy teeth, but it's surprising how
well the modified blade works.

Wanna have some fun? Demonstrate a physical principle?

Take a glass of water, pour a small amount of oil on the top. Turn on your
MF tool and dip the tip in the liquid.

POOF! Instant emulsification!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/10 8:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/26/2010 3:43 PM -MIKE- spake thus:
I've had mine for about a year and it's saved me a ton of time, but:
Unless you really torque it, the blades tend to vibrate loose.

I thought this was THE major problem with the HF units and made them no
bargain. Has someone figured out a solution or are they OK if used
only in the occassional home DIY environment?

I've never experience them coming loose.

Apparently the old "multifunction tool" (the one I got for $35 recently)
has this problem. After looking at the mounting system for the cutting
tools, I can see why: there are 4 little nubs on the mounting plate that
could easily get worn down.

That's the one I have. There are no nubs anywhere. There are four
holes in the blades that do not correspond with with anything on the
tool. The tool has tiny rings that give it some texture. When I take a
blade off, I notice how the rings get embossed onto the blades.

It's possible there is a new version of the single speed tool that has
nubs. Mine have nothing. I have noticed on the old one that it's easy
to mount the blade NOT perfectly centered over a center ring on the
tool, which would interfere with it being fully tightened.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2010 10:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

And that problem also occurs with the original Fein.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-02-27, David Nebenzahl wrote:

The "new" (variable-speed) tool has an improved mounting system, perhaps
similar to Fein's new one.

Are you still referring to the Harbor Freight unit (var)? What would
be the advantage to one of these tools being variable? If slowed
down too much, seems it would lose its effectiveness and bog down.
OTOH, I have no experience with one.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2010 7:51 PM notbob spake thus:

On 2010-02-27, David Nebenzahl wrote:

The "new" (variable-speed) tool has an improved mounting system, perhaps
similar to Fein's new one.

Are you still referring to the Harbor Freight unit (var)? What would
be the advantage to one of these tools being variable? If slowed
down too much, seems it would lose its effectiveness and bog down.
OTOH, I have no experience with one.

Though I wasn't commenting on that aspect of the tool, I agree that
being able to vary the speed isn't a plus in my book either. I was just
pointing out that the variable-speed version has a different, presumably
better tool-mounting system.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to rec.woodworking

.com...

On 2010-02-27, David Nebenzahl wrote:

The "new" (variable-speed) tool has an improved mounting system, perhaps
similar to Fein's new one.

Are you still referring to the Harbor Freight unit (var)? What would
be the advantage to one of these tools being variable? If slowed
down too much, seems it would lose its effectiveness and bog down.
OTOH, I have no experience with one.

Though I wasn't commenting on that aspect of the tool, I agree that being
able to vary the speed isn't a plus in my book either. I was just pointing
out that the variable-speed version has a different, presumably better
tool-mounting system.
--

I guess when Harbor Freight copies a tool, they really copy a tool. Even if
the original tool had flaws. This would appear to be two distinct coies of

Maybe they figure a cheapie model with the bad blade mounting.

And a more expensive model with the mounting problem solved.

They get their foot in the door with a cheap knockoff. Then they "upgrade"
you to a better model. Marketing is alive and well at Harbor Freight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2010 8:19 PM Lee Michaels spake thus:

On 2010-02-27, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Of course it is; marketing is an inescapable part of modern business.
That makes them no worse than any other tool dealer or manufacturer, at
least.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-02-27, David wrote:

The "new" (variable-speed) tool has an improved mounting system, perhaps
similar to Fein's new one.

Are you still referring to the Harbor Freight unit (var)? What would
be the advantage to one of these tools being variable? If slowed
down too much, seems it would lose its effectiveness and bog down.
OTOH, I have no experience with one.

nb

I think there could be an advantage to slower speeds or sanding and
scraping.
Sanding too fast could burn or clog, etc., for example.

But you're right about cutting... seems the faster it is, the more
control you have.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 04:04:46 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

There ya go.

You now have just the tool to cut through those big ironwood logs you like
to play with all the time!

Funny that you mention that... I tried it on ironwood and damned if it didn't
cut it..
I've got about 40 pounds of ironwood on the lathe right now and I'm trimming as
I go.. The portable bandsaw is ok, but slow and has a restricted width of cut,
the recip saw just sits and dulls the blades and the saber saw is ok but very
slow..
The HF tool, with the straight saw blade it comes with, cuts right through it..
Only bad part is that it burns it's way through, which stinks up the house..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2010 10:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Of course it is; marketing is an inescapable part of modern business.
That makes them no worse than any other tool dealer or manufacturer, at
least.

As they say, marketing is the practice of convincing fools they can pick
up a turd by the clean end, and the biggest problem with modern
marketing is that government entities are now practicing it, due mainly
to the proliferation of fools.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I guess when Harbor Freight copies a tool, they really copy a tool. Even
if the original tool had flaws. This would appear to be two distinct
coies of theoriginal. I would have been more impressed with an imporved
version.

Maybe they figure a cheapie model with the bad blade mounting.

And a more expensive model with the mounting problem solved.

They get their foot in the door with a cheap knockoff. Then they "upgrade"
you to a better model. Marketing is alive and well at Harbor Freight.

I'm not so sure Lee. They don't seem to be too marketing savvy. It seems
they approach things with a more simplistic philosophy - simply copy. I
suspect the originals were simply the product that had initially been
produced to copy the Fein, and now they have to get rid of the stock, since
they are now copying the improved version.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:20:43 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

[...]

Sounds as if you got a defective unit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:19:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

s.com...

On 2010-02-27, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

....Except there is no mounting problem on the original single speed
unit. Someone has posted that their unit lacks the 4 positioning nubs.
That's a manufacturing defect, not a design defect.

I just looked in the owners booklet. The arbor is called a "spindle"
in their terms. If your spindle doesn't have nubs, you can call
1-800-444-3353 and discuss it with tech support. Maybe they will send
you a new one.

Also note that the instructions say not to use the long rectangular
blades in any position except straight out in front.

On 2010-02-27, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Except they didn't do what you two are accusing them of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Feb 2010 13:16:01 GMT, Han wrote:

Swingman wrote in news:0-
:

On 2/26/2010 10:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Of course it is; marketing is an inescapable part of modern business.
That makes them no worse than any other tool dealer or manufacturer, at
least.

As they say, marketing is the practice of convincing fools they can pick
up a turd by the clean end, and the biggest problem with modern
marketing is that government entities are now practicing it, due mainly
to the proliferation of fools.

Thanks to the school systems that proliferate superstitions, and deliver
high school graduates that (should be who, but they're not really fully
grown people) only read at 2nd grade level.

Don't be so hard on poor Swingman. He means well!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

wrote in :

On 27 Feb 2010 13:16:01 GMT, Han wrote:

Swingman wrote in news:0-
:

On 2/26/2010 10:54 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Of course it is; marketing is an inescapable part of modern
business. That makes them no worse than any other tool dealer or
manufacturer, at least.

As they say, marketing is the practice of convincing fools they can
pick up a turd by the clean end, and the biggest problem with modern
marketing is that government entities are now practicing it, due
mainly to the proliferation of fools.

Thanks to the school systems that proliferate superstitions, and
deliver high school graduates that (should be who, but they're not
really fully grown people) only read at 2nd grade level.

Don't be so hard on poor Swingman. He means well!

I'm ot hard on Swingman at all. Au contraire! I'm just explaining (part
of) his "... due mainly to the proliferation of fools."

SIL and daughter teach in highschools in "disadvantaged" districts - math
and physics, respectively. The school systems have failed the kids
miserably. It's not even that the kids aren't willing to learn, they
just never got in the habit, and have few incentives. Of course, the
parents (if any) aren't blameless either ...

Trouble is, the kids quote can earn more in 1 year on the street than the
best teachers get in 5 years. I'm not talking life expectancy, though.
--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2010 8:46 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in :

On 27 Feb 2010 13:16:01 GMT, wrote:

wrote in news:0-
:

[...]

And, speaking of fools, the particular one to whom you were replying is
Bozo Binned, where such fools belong ... a word to the woodworking wise
who actually practice same.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

And, speaking of fools, the particular one to whom you were replying is
Bozo Binned, where such fools belong ... a word to the woodworking wise
who actually practice same.

sorry for prolonging the thread ...

:-)

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/10 7:50 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:19:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

.com...

On 2010-02-27, David wrote:

[...]

From the manual...
"3. Note: Some units may have small holes inthe attachments and/or pins
on the spindle shoulder. These are not used or required for this model."

This tells me two things.
1) It's not defective if the "nubs" (pins) are not there. Defective
means, "oops, we forgot to put them on." Not, "we decided later, to
improve the model with nubs."
b) It would be quite a bit of spin/deception on their part to change the
manual on all the older single speed models to try to hide the fact that
they are selling off the old stick that was defective.

Did they change the design? Probably.
Are they trying to deceive? Possibly.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Feb 2010 14:46:19 GMT, Han wrote:

wrote in :

[...]

Well then perhaps you are being hard on Swingman... and yourself!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 09:46:32 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/27/2010 8:46 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in :

[...]

Poor moronic baby. If you can't hang, maybe you should go elsewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:37:36 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/27/10 7:50 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:19:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

.com...

On 2010-02-27, David wrote:

[...]

From the manual...
"3. Note: Some units may have small holes inthe attachments and/or pins
on the spindle shoulder. These are not used or required for this model."

This tells me two things.
1) It's not defective if the "nubs" (pins) are not there. Defective
means, "oops, we forgot to put them on." Not, "we decided later, to
improve the model with nubs."
b) It would be quite a bit of spin/deception on their part to change the
manual on all the older single speed models to try to hide the fact that
they are selling off the old stick that was defective.

Did they change the design? Probably.
Are they trying to deceive? Possibly.

If you don't have the nubs, your unit is defective. Call the number I
provided and see if they will send you a correct spindle.

I have a single speed model and it has the nubs. If you look very
carefully with a high powred electron microscope, you may notice that
*ALL* blades for the tool have holes for mating to those nubs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/10 12:42 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:37:36 -0600,
wrote:

On 2/27/10 7:50 AM,
wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:19:55 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

.com...

On 2010-02-27, David wrote:

[...]

From the manual...
[...]

Like I wrote, that isn't "defective." That's a design change.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--