Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mission Style Mantel and TV Wall Project

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2010 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Man oh man, that is one _beautifully_ executed design!

I absolutely love the wooden arch mirroring the top arc of the fireplace
screen. Brilliant design touch!

This is worthy of a mention in FWW ... magnificient.

Just showed it to SWMBO, who does the interior design for the houses I
build. She loves it also.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/10 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Did I mention, I hate you?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Evodawg" wrote in message
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

Very NICE! Nice touch mirroring the shape of the fireplace opening and or
screen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/2010 2:34 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/20/2010 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Man oh man, that is one _beautifully_ executed design!

I absolutely love the wooden arch mirroring the top arc of the fireplace
screen. Brilliant design touch!

This is worthy of a mention in FWW ... magnificient.

Just showed it to SWMBO, who does the interior design for the houses I
build. She loves it also.

Agreed - the mantle is beautiful! Reworking the generic white painted MDF
crapola mantle in our recently purchased Austin-area home is on my long list of
to-dos; I think I just got some new-found inspiration to bump up the priority
of the mantle on my list... VERY nice work.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/20/10 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Now that I'm over my jealousy, a few questions...
- What techniques did you use to make the crown/cove, or was it bought?
I love how sharp it gets.
- How did you decide on the angle of the two inner stiles on the upper
panels. They are attractive... I'm just curious if it was completely
improvised or was there a method to the madness.
- In the arched rail, I can't tell if those perpendicular lines are
grain or inflections. Is the rail veneer, cut from a really wide board,
or (gasp!) steam bent?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0700, Evodawg wrote:

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Nice design, color and shape. Beautiful curve, thanks for sharing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

On 3/20/10 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Now that I'm over my jealousy, a few questions...
- What techniques did you use to make the crown/cove, or was it bought?
I love how sharp it gets.

Crown was bought, trim piece at top was rounded over and top 3/4 was set
inside the trim.

- How did you decide on the angle of the two inner stiles on the upper
panels. They are attractive... I'm just curious if it was completely
improvised or was there a method to the madness.

At first I was going to use straight vertical pieces but for grins I turned
them a bit and liked the look.

- In the arched rail, I can't tell if those perpendicular lines are
grain or inflections. Is the rail veneer, cut from a really wide board,
or (gasp!) steam bent?

Cut from a wide board. Think I made at least 10 drawings then a cardboard
template, finally permanent template. I had to make 2 final pieces. The back
one is 2 pieces glued together. I took my time looking for the front piece.
The Hardwood supplier got ****ed because I made a mess of his stack. If you
look close it has lots of tiger stripes in it. I told the customer to get a
brass gas valve cover plate but never has. I think the chrome one looks
ghetto.

--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 3/20/2010 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Man oh man, that is one _beautifully_ executed design!

I absolutely love the wooden arch mirroring the top arc of the fireplace
screen. Brilliant design touch!

This is worthy of a mention in FWW ... magnificient.

Just showed it to SWMBO, who does the interior design for the houses I
build. She loves it also.

Thanks, Customer wanted it that way. He and she gets all the credit for
that. They had the screen already and the thing weighs a ton!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Now that I'm over my jealousy, a few questions...
- What techniques did you use to make the crown/cove, or was it bought?
I love how sharp it gets.

Crown was bought, trim piece at top was rounded over and top 3/4 was set
inside the trim.

- How did you decide on the angle of the two inner stiles on the upper
panels. They are attractive... I'm just curious if it was completely
improvised or was there a method to the madness.

At first I was going to use straight vertical pieces but for grins I

turned
them a bit and liked the look.

Beautiful.
Definitely looks better than vertical *and* better than perpendicular to
the curve.
It's almost always better to just go with what looks good to the eyes.

- In the arched rail, I can't tell if those perpendicular lines are
grain or inflections. Is the rail veneer, cut from a really wide board,
or (gasp!) steam bent?

Cut from a wide board. Think I made at least 10 drawings then a cardboard
template, finally permanent template. I had to make 2 final pieces. The back
one is 2 pieces glued together. I took my time looking for the front piece.
The Hardwood supplier got ****ed because I made a mess of his stack.

After about the third purchase involving someone giving me a hard time
for picking, when the owner decided to put in his 2 cents about me
"messing up the stacks," I finally told the guy straight up, "Look man,
with all due respect, first of any pile I pick through is going to look
better when I'm done, than it did when I started. And secondly, I'm
either picking the lumber I buy from you, or I'm picking what I buy
somewhere else. You can choose."

If you
look close it has lots of tiger stripes in it. I told the customer to get a
brass gas valve cover plate but never has. I think the chrome one looks
ghetto.

Even brass plated would look better. :-)
I vote for patinated bronze.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Evodawg wrote:

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

I really like the style of the mantel.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing a
little more red then reality. But that's what they wanted and it does go
along with the mission style in California. Customer loves it, so that's all
that counts, right????
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2010 2:35 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing a
little more red then reality. But that's what they wanted and it does go
along with the mission style in California. Customer loves it, so that's all
that counts, right????

You bet! My mantra ... I just build'em, the customer colors them.

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the
client's color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing
a little more red then reality. But that's what they wanted and it does
go along with the mission style in California. Customer loves it, so
that's all that counts, right????

You bet! My mantra ... I just build'em, the customer colors them.

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the
client's color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

Not to mention you can get in real trouble offering to much input. You have
to know when enough is enough. Also I try to limit choices, it just confuses
them with to many and then the stall is on. I have also had customers ask me
to make the choice because they have been told they have no taste. That even
makes me more uncomfortable. If it all goes wrong it's YOUR fault!!!!

I know what I like and I know my taste. I don't know my customers unless I
have worked with them before. Customers either know or have no clue!!! The
ideal situation is your tastes are the same, which ideally never happens.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the client's
color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

Damn, since you are color blind, it would have to be extraordinarily ugly to
achieve the "ruined" status. Some people just have no class.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/2010 4:01 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the client's
color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

Damn, since you are color blind, it would have to be extraordinarily ugly to
achieve the "ruined" status. Some people just have no class.

Hey, Bubba ... just because I'm color blind doesn't mean I think a
barber pole is a tasteful decorative touch!

Now, my black velvet Elvis ... that's something else altogether!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:15:13 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 3/21/2010 4:01 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the client's
color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

Damn, since you are color blind, it would have to be extraordinarily ugly to
achieve the "ruined" status. Some people just have no class.

Hey, Bubba ... just because I'm color blind doesn't mean I think a
barber pole is a tasteful decorative touch!

Now, my black velvet Elvis ... that's something else altogether!

I hope you have it in a display case under UV light.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:35:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month
ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I
said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get
you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel.
Comments and questions welcome.
Rich

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/l...awg/TV%20Wall/

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing a
little more red then reality.

Oh, good. I really like the style, an organic Mission, like someone
threw a pinch of Art Nouveau into the mix.

But that's what they wanted and it does go
along with the mission style in California.

You're probably talking about the actual color. If you were talking
"red", I can't recall having seen that in any style. Mission stuff
was golden or darker browns, mostly.

Customer loves it, so that's all that counts, right????

I guess that since there is no Hippocratic Oath in the wooddorking
industry, stain and poly were inevitable. But it doesn't mean we have
to like it, or do it on our own. As far as a contract piece, the
customer loving it is great, but keep your rep in mind, too. If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:05:52 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing a
little more red then reality. But that's what they wanted and it does go
along with the mission style in California. Customer loves it, so that's all
that counts, right????

You bet! My mantra ... I just build'em, the customer colors them.

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the
client's color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

Do you even try to talk them out of the worst clashes?
(so you could at least add a picture of it to your portfolio)

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:15:13 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/21/2010 4:01 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the client's
color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

Damn, since you are color blind, it would have to be extraordinarily ugly to
achieve the "ruined" status. Some people just have no class.

Hey, Bubba ... just because I'm color blind doesn't mean I think a
barber pole is a tasteful decorative touch!

Now, my black velvet Elvis ... that's something else altogether!

It's right up there with your velvet Dogs Playing Poster, is it?

spew

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote
If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

Unless, of course, you specialize in the ghastly, tasteless, clueless
market.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 22, 11:16*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Larry Jaques" *wrote If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

Unless, of course, you specialize in the ghastly, tasteless, clueless
market.

*slowly raises hand*
..
..
..
*looks around*
..
..
..
..
..
"what? What? WHAT??"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 11:16 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

Unless, of course, you specialize in the ghastly, tasteless, clueless
market.

*slowly raises hand*
..
*looks around*
..
"what? What? WHAT??"
===================

Hey, the customer is always right!

cough, cough

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/22/2010 12:34 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:16 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

Unless, of course, you specialize in the ghastly, tasteless, clueless
market.

*slowly raises hand*
.
.
.
*looks around*
.
.
.
.
.
"what? What? WHAT??"

Didn't you hate raising your hand in class when you were the only one?

"All right class, who DIDN'T finish the homework assignment I gave you last Friday?"

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:16:28 -0400, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

Unless, of course, you specialize in the ghastly, tasteless, clueless
market.

That's not woodworking, that's kaff, kaff "art".

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
-- Samuel Butler
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Lee Michaels wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 11:16 am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote If a
customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it
for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.

Unless, of course, you specialize in the ghastly, tasteless, clueless
market.

*slowly raises hand*
.
*looks around*