Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mission Style Wood Finish

I'm trying to come up with a mission style finish that meets the
following parameters:

1. Satin or "close to the wood" finish
2. Table top protection (no shellac due to alcohol spills and no
analine dye due to fading if an object like a humidor is left on the
table in one spot)
3. I thought about fuming but my table isn't all from the same tree.
I'm also affraid fuming might result in too much color variance.
4. And yes, I want something as close to "classic mission" as
possible. (medium brown with a little red and good satin table top
protection)

Any suggestions??

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Here is a tried and true recipe. It does use shellac but there is a top coat
applied which covers it.
As to prevent fading in the sun, the only way I have heard about its to use
a UV blocking topcoat as most dyes and pigments will change when exposed to
UV. JG

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...ission_oak.htm

"henny" wrote in message
I'm trying to come up with a mission style finish that meets the
following parameters:

1. Satin or "close to the wood" finish
2. Table top protection (no shellac due to alcohol spills and no
analine dye due to fading if an object like a humidor is left on the
table in one spot)
3. I thought about fuming but my table isn't all from the same tree.
I'm also affraid fuming might result in too much color variance.
4. And yes, I want something as close to "classic mission" as
possible. (medium brown with a little red and good satin table top
protection)

Any suggestions??

Posted to rec.woodworking

Odd this should come up. I'm using the formula from the homestead
sight for the lighter craftsman finish as shown on the link. This is
for my kitchen cabs I'm building with qs white oak. Im trying the dye
with a 50/50 mixture of alcohol/paint thinner instead of water because
I'm desperate not to have to raise the grain and resand if I use water.
Did a couple of samples tonight, just a couple minutes ago. One with
the 50/50 mixture and one with water just to see if there is a
difference in the final result.
Mike

"henny" wrote in message
I'm trying to come up with a mission style finish that meets the
following parameters:

1. Satin or "close to the wood" finish
2. Table top protection (no shellac due to alcohol spills and no
analine dye due to fading if an object like a humidor is left on the
table in one spot)
3. I thought about fuming but my table isn't all from the same tree.
I'm also affraid fuming might result in too much color variance.
4. And yes, I want something as close to "classic mission" as
possible. (medium brown with a little red and good satin table top
protection)

Any suggestions??

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can tint a filler to even out the different shades in the wood.
Then apply an oil based laquer to seal it, sand that, apply your stain,
and finally, multiple thin coats of a wipe on poly.
Gene