Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Default Mission Style Wood Finish

Here is a tried and true recipe. It does use shellac but there is a top coat
applied which covers it.
As to prevent fading in the sun, the only way I have heard about its to use
a UV blocking topcoat as most dyes and pigments will change when exposed to
UV. JG

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...ission_oak.htm

"henny" wrote in message
I'm trying to come up with a mission style finish that meets the
following parameters:

1. Satin or "close to the wood" finish
2. Table top protection (no shellac due to alcohol spills and no
analine dye due to fading if an object like a humidor is left on the
table in one spot)
3. I thought about fuming but my table isn't all from the same tree.
I'm also affraid fuming might result in too much color variance.
4. And yes, I want something as close to "classic mission" as
possible. (medium brown with a little red and good satin table top
protection)

Any suggestions??